Thales

Advanced Reefer
Staff member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:slick:

I havent seen the 10 K xm's, but I used to run DE bulbs, 10 and 20 K side by side. So, I would say the 10 K would have a higher par, but I perfectly happy with the 'PAR' of the 20 K's in the lumenarcs. When I added the lumenarcs, my first thought was 'why didn't I do this years ago?'.

There ain't no party like my Nana's tea party...

bleedingthought

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No code has to be inserted here.

Please post results.

It would be nice if there was a quick/easy way to measure it without the lumenarcs, too! For comparison. :)

bleedingthought

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_5222.jpg

I know I've constantly been full of questions for you. :LOL:

But where could I get a manifold like that? And would they have different setups like different number outlets and farther/closer apart?

And how well do those locline valves work? And are they cheaper than 13 bucks anywhere? (marinedepot has them for $13)

Thanks in advance, yet again! :)

Attachments

• IMG_5222.jpg
    IMG_5222.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_5223.jpg
    IMG_5223.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 28

Thales

Advanced Reefer
Staff member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:D

No problem, thats what RDO is for!

I am not aware of anyplace that makes manifolds like that. I made 'em myself. I lucked out in that 5 3/4 inch t's ended up being a length I could use.

The locline valves are ok, but the only reason I actually felt comfortable using them (or any locline for that matter) was because they were over the tank or the tanks perimeter bracing. So, if they did drip leak, the water would drop into the tank instead of onto the floor.

I got my locline and valves from www.modularhose.com , but I don't remember what I paid.

Last edited by Thales on Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

bleedingthought

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I didn't even realize the seams on the manifold! Nice! :)

I like how small those valves are and can't think of anything remotely close to that size. Since the tank will be open top, the valves would be showing. That link doesn't work, though. :confused:

Thales

Advanced Reefer
Staff member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The link works now - the comma was too close to the .com!

I was really happy I got to use the valves. If I had to do it with regular valves I polly would have put the manifold behind the tank. Ewwww.

bleedingthought

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, any specific reason why both actinic bulbs are on the front? Does it make a difference?

You know, I can't get over how much I like the overall color of your tank. It's decided, I'm going with XM 20kks (the lumenarcs too, of course) and use either 2 or 4 of my VHOs for actinics, just like yourself. :slick:

Thales

Advanced Reefer
Staff member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We haven't had a chance to measure the PAR.

I put the actinics up front so they cast their light on the parts of the tank and corals that I can see. Since the actinics are mostly for my eye, I place them where they benefit my eye the most. :D

I am actually thinking of replacing my lumenarcs with .... dual lumanrics! There would be two blubs in each hood. I talked them about it, and they don't think it will impact the reflection too much. The sockets would parallel opposite sides of the top squares of the reflector. I would run the 20 k xm 400's and some kind of 10 k 250. The 10 would only be on an hour or two, just for growth. I'm just deciding if I want to really do it, and if I really want to spend the extra money.

RR

bleedingthought

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, interesting. Are you not happy with the growth you're getting currently? :)

By the way, have you ever used the mini lumenarcs? That's actually probably the route I'm taking to save on some space. The std ones might be too big for the canopy.

And, which direction to you run your MH bulbs? Parallel or opposite the way the tank 'runs'?

trido

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The link for the locline parts is considerably less expensive than MD. I modeled my CL (and tank) from this system. The loclines and adjustable valves are well worth the money spent because I can back off flow in certain areas as corals grow larger and increase flow in other areas. Also the ability to add or remove a few segments, and the infinate control of direction per nozzels makes for easy, rooky, learn as you go adjustments.

I just hooked up some luminarc Black vented pendants (14.5"x14.5"). Because of my only having 250s I dont feel comfortable raising my MH as shown above. I am unable to put two actinics in the front to get a better actinic glow on my corals. If only you had warned me Thales.

BT, (or anyone for that matter) if you want a reef that works. Build your system like this one and practice good reef husbandry. Your almost guaranteed to get great growth. Disclaimer: Not eveyone has a knack for keeping aquariums

T

The Escaped Ape

Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This and Len's thread are mentally filed for my future use. :)

Thales

Advanced Reefer
Staff member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Never!
I was happiest with color and growth when I ran a mix of 10 and 20 250 de bulbs. Since going back to that mix is not all that expensive, I will prolly get around to it.

Nope! :D

Currently perpendicular. If I change to the dual socket lumenarc, it will be parallel.

Thales

Advanced Reefer
Staff member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt is a genius!

I did his 'loc line to vinyl tubing at the surface so you don't see the returns' to my tank with awesome results. Not only is the view less obstructed by there is more light on the sides of the tank. Nice Matt!

DSC_14960014_wholetank.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_14960014_wholetank.jpg
    DSC_14960014_wholetank.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 36

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: