Jasonanatal

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
i should do the replacement every 2 weeks right??

Bluesi4, I don't want you to think that I'm coming down on you because of the setup you have and the methods that you are using. I was once in your position before and would like to provide you with the information that is necessary to setup and maintain a thriving Marine Aquarium.

First thing is first, you need to upgrade some of your equipment in order to provide the correct environment. I'm not sure of your financial situation but as mentioned before this hobby can be very draining on your wallet and purchasing the right equipment is definitely going to save you money in the long run. Don't waste your money on cheap items because you will just end up replacing them in the near future and spending more overall.

Water is the environment that your fish live in and is quite honestly the most important part of your Marine Aquarium. You are definitely going to want to purchase and RO/DI system to hook up to your faucet to purify that tap water. Conditioners are sold that you can add to tap water but my personal opinion is that they do not work. Even if they can nulify some chemicals they still cannot remove sediments or harsh metals that remain in the water. An RO/DI unit will give you beautiful blue water that will be much appreciated by your aquatic inhabitants. Also the tap water contains ridiculously high rates of Phosphates which will just add to Nuisance Algea thriving in your Marine Aquarium such as Cyno Bacteria (Red Slime Algae) or Green Hair Algae. Both do not look anywhere as appealing as your may think.

Your Substrate is where you may want to start next. Crushed coral is definitely cheaper then Aragonite Reef Sand but it allows unnecessary amounts of detritus (waste) to collect in the nooks and crannies and will sooner then later effect your water quality and buffering capacity by increasing your Nitrates, Nitrates, Ammonia Levels and the3 ability to maintain a stable pH level. I would suggest purchasing a bag of sand and slowly replacing portions of the Crushed coral with the Reef Sand.

As far as the marks on your tang go. It sounds like he was definitely under nourished in the store you purchased him from. I notied you stated Pet Goods in your post. I personally do not buy from them because of the lack of care that is given to their Livestock. The tang is suffering from Hole in the Head due to lack of nutrition. It will eventually clear up by providing a steady diet of Nori and it wouldn't hurt to help soak it in garlic for a few before introducing it at feeding to help build the Tangs Immune System since it appears to be just a baby.

Any other help just drop me a line.

BlueSi4

Blu By U
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
thanks for the advice, i've been doing some research as well as getting a lot of info from everyone on this forums. Since i joined i added another powerhead, bought a huge variety of frozen food, bought a RO/DI unit, and still getting more information on setting my tank up to have a healthy environment for my fish

Jasonanatal

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
now my next addition is going to be a protein skimmer as well as the salifert test kit

A protein skimmer is the best purchase you can make but please be sure that you buy the best protein skimmer that you can afford since it will be a vitale necessity within your Marine Aquarium. You really cannot afford to skimp out on this piece of equipment. Since you don't have a sump or refugium and it appears that your Aquarium if not a Reef Ready system you may want to look into Aqua C Remora Hang On Tank Skimmers. They may suit your needs just fine. But if your willing to drop alot you can also look at Euro Reef Skimmers which are awesome in my book and I believel available in a Hang on Tank model, but be prepaired to spend over $300.00 easily for this unit.

BlueSi4

Blu By U
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
I've been looking at the Remora Aqua C, that's probably the one i'll end up getting.
I finally got the RO/DI unit thanks to Rich, and i just had a little question. When I have the RO/DI water ready, how big of a water change should i do? Should i remove most of the water out from my tank, or can i mix it with tap water?

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Congrats on the rodi Oriol!!

No more tap water!!!!!!!! That will defeat the whole purpose of buying the rodi.
Mix up enough water to fill all the buckets you do have available..then start filling them again and do a change every couple of days. Didn't you say you had 3 or 4 buckets? It will take a couple of weeks before all of your water is changed over to the rodi water. (there is a formula around here somewhere..and in that book I suggested you buy..lol ...that tells you if you change x percentage of water , you then have x % of new/old water still in your tank.)

And the name of the product you want to soak the food in is Selcon.

BlueSi4

Blu By U
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Thanks Kathy,

you've been a really amazing help since i joined, and you were the one that made me go after the RO/DI unit. I'm sure once i have all pure water in my tank i'll be more happier than i am now, and i'm sure my fish will be even more happier. All i need now is for my Hippo to get healthy, and that would make me even happier lol. As soon as i can i'm going to get the Protein Skimmer (Remora Aqua C) and then that should do it for a while, need to save some money for school/books/etc.
Again, thanks for all the help!!

BlueSi4

Blu By U
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
i'm prob looking at the mag 3 pump.
also another question, i know how the whole water change routine (10% every week, or 20% every 2 weeks) but the first time i put the rodi water in, should i be looking to change a lot of water? I'm going to start using the rodi water for top offs and such, but i'm gonna do a water change next week and just looking at how much should i remove

Craig

120 Club Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
here's a hose quick disconnect with a faucet adapter and a john guest fitting

Attachments

• rodi1.jpg
    rodi1.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 81
  • rodi2.jpg
    rodi2.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 77
  • rodi3.jpg
    rodi3.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 79

BlueSi4

Blu By U
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Also, i've been looking to maybe add a few shrimp, like the cleaner shrimp or the peppermint shrimp, or maybe another kind that i don't know of, but what's the input on them? Are they good? Do they do any good to the tank? What do they eat?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: