fali

need tank crash insurance
Rating - 100%
70   0   0
Hey guys. Its time for me to stop BSing around the place and share some pics of my tank. It was for sale but no one wants a full setup. Oh well.

140 gallon 48x24x29h
sump
no skimmer

Let me know if i should put more pics and post any other specs. I'm in the hobby for 1+ year(did fish only before).

Any comments welcome. :)

Attachments

• full tank shot.JPG
    full tank shot.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 944
  • Half tank shot.JPG
    Half tank shot.JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 950
  • sump.JPG
    sump.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 945
  • tank angle shot.JPG
    tank angle shot.JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 943
  • tank side shot.JPG
    tank side shot.JPG
    91.9 KB · Views: 948

fali

Rating - 100%
70   0   0
THanks guys for the nice comments. Some are aussies but not all(so i've been told).

My tanks been up for 14 months. I stopped using skimmer for about 6-7 months now. Even when i had it up it was on and off in between. I'm not recommending to stop skimming but i feel its just a headache to maintain. Its caused a lot of bubbles in my tank and it overflows every now and then. So i stopped skimming and invested in mangroves. I was told its recommended to add 1 red mangrove for every 15 gallons of aquarium water. I have 20 of them. Overall my corals are flourishing and growing *knock on wood*. I even have 3 monits that are encrusting and growing quite healthy. Astrea snails from my experience are the best algae eaters. Unless your are a super fan of crabs leave them out and invest all in snails. Crabs do nothing more but knock over frags. Clumsy bastards.

I forgot to mention my lighting:

2 150 watt 10k DE metal halides
2 54 watt T5 actinics
wide angle moonlights.

Rather going skimmerless i am more concerned about my chiller. It doesn't work good. One day my tank hit over 90 degrees. Almost everything closed up even the toughest of my corals. I did a quick water change and used my AC ever since. Now when i leave the house i keep my AC on. Everything recovered but one coral which melted like ice cream.

lunner

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Speaking of mangroves, you planted them in pots? I picked up like 10 of the seeds while I was in Key West this summer. And now they are starting to germinate. I am thinking of putting them in my sump but within pots worrying the rooting might breaking my sump...

fali

Rating - 100%
70   0   0
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/apr2002/feature.htm

THe link above will give you good amount of info on mangroves. How big are your mangroves? When you plan to place them make sure the leaves are above the water. I wire-tie them to a plastic container. You can place them however you want, either in live sand or bare roots exposed in the water. If i remember correctly you can just trim the roots and leaves if the mangroves are growing to out of control. They are slow growers so you don't have to worry much.

I do my water changes every month. Sometimes every 2 months if i don't have time.

fali

Rating - 100%
70   0   0
Some more..........thread resurrection!

Attachments

• tank1.JPG
    tank1.JPG
    98.4 KB · Views: 265
  • tank2.JPG
    tank2.JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 265
  • tank3.JPG
    tank3.JPG
    101.7 KB · Views: 264
  • tank4.JPG
    tank4.JPG
    122.9 KB · Views: 266
  • tank5.JPG
    tank5.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 266
  • duncan.JPG
    duncan.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 263

inline6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Very COOOL!
You and I think along the same line, no skimmer also and thriving!

:)

btw - Is that a pink tail trigger and a niger trigger I see?

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: