jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I just found some slides of my second reef tank, it was set up in 1994.

9469on.jpg

9494sn.jpg

this tank began as a 29 gallon in 1993, then was changed to the 55 gallon you see here.

I remember it had VHO lights, an icecap 660 with three 48" bulbs.
There was an external overflow going to a sump, I think the sump was ten gallons. the return pump was the old quiet one, when they really were quiet. There was a protein skimmer, I actually gave it to Tom a little while ago, it was a decent counter current type. I did not remember it having sand, but apparently there was a shallow sand bed, and about 80 pounds of live rock. The stand was the first one I made, Jose has it now. I don't remember all that was in the tank, so what you see in the photos is what I remember. It looks like I was also running some canister filters, I used to pack them with carbon, helping with the nutrient export was the in the tank fuge, :shocked1: look at all that calupera.

back when this tank was set up there were at least three decent reef stores in the city I went to, I also went to house of fins, I bought my first skimmer there, along with many fish and inverts.

Last edited:

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
:wow: That looks just like the coral tanks Exotic Pets in Yonkers has now...full of leathers and other softies and MACRO! Me likes, Jon. Find us some closeups.

Dean

p.s. What's a slide? :wink1:

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
jackson6745 said:
I see a red X ????

I think the red is some kind of macro? I had a bunch of cool macro that grew from the live rock. It was all FL live rock back then. I was told to get rid of the bristle worms back then, sorry b worms.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
gegema said:
jh,

that's beautiful!!!! what method were you using then?? Was it the Jaubert, Berlin or ???

NICE

it was berlin, live rock and a big skimmer, well big for then. I even had the RO filter back then, It was a two stage ! haha

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Deanos said:
:wow: That looks just like the coral tanks Exotic Pets in Yonkers has now...full of leathers and other softies and MACRO! Me likes, Jon. Find us some closeups.

Dean

p.s. What's a slide? :wink1:

a slide is that thing in the playground you went head first down :D

I got the slides scanned, hehe,

remind me why can't we have that cool macro in the tank anymore? it looks so natural. something about it having sex in the tank ;)

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I had a tank of goldfish to feed my pet snake, then the goldfish gave way to other freshwater fish, then oscars, african ciclids, and so on.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
old school reef :afro:

yup, had it going on back in the day, imagine if that leather was still alive, how big would it be :shocked1:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: