Rtam3185

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
After months of research and purchasing equipment I felt I was ready to upgrade from a 20g. This is a standard 55g tank with a metal stand and a refugium. (It's going through its nitrogen cycle (Day3).

Here are some pics!

FTS

2d8fh9v.jpg

This is the refugium I set up.

w7lic8.jpg

It speaks to me.... I swear :inlove:

sgpmw4.jpg

That's all there is for now. I currently have 1 False Percula Clown, 1 Coral Beauty Angel and 1 6L in my 20g that will be added one by one with weekly intervals between each addition. This will be a reef tank.

Some additional info and equipment

Euro Reef RS 100 Skimmer
4x54 W Tek 4 Lighting ( Running 2x Midday and 2x Pure actinic)
Koralia 2 and 3
about 60#s of LR (Marco Rocks mixed with some Live Fiji Rocks... They are really light)
100# of LS ( 80 in the DT and 20 in the Fuge)

Feel free to leave any comments of advice. Also, some suggestions for my stock list will help.

Here are some of the livestock I'm interested in:

Some colorful anthias that can fit in a 55g (if possible, Let me know)
Royal Gramma
Bi Colo Blenny
Armor of God Zoas
Frogspawn (Do I have enough light for one?)
Ricordias
Devil's Hand Leather

That's it for now.

Rtam3185

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Nice setup. Whats with the airpump on the overflow box?

When I purchased my return pump I forgot to take into account the amount of flow it loses when it has to pump vertically. So with a mag7 , It only pumps at about 400 GPH, and my Overflow box drains at 800gph. Without the pump it will lose siphon really fast. So I have to keep that pump there to siphon out the air that enters the overflow to avoid a major flood. However... I'm scared the pump will die out because I'm reading stories about it giving up in about 3 months... I wouldn't want 10 gallons of water on my floor. Eek

Custom King

Vendor
Rating - 99.4%
308   2   0
Lift Pump!

jejton,

The pump is actually a lift pump. It helps to reduce the chances of losing siphone. It actually sucks in water and air. Rtam3185 nice setup. I'm thinking of ordering some Marco rocks for an upcoming project. Good Luck on this tank and I can't wait to see it when it's fully stocked!!!!

:fish:

bigbbinthehouse

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think i still have one of those aqualifter pumps, had it about 4-5 months, still works great. i upgraded to a rr tank so i got rid of siphon overflow. i can ship to you if you pm me address.

grknyer

Official Lurker
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
I redid my rock work...feels more natural now for me :X

n529983806_744005_1511.jpg

n529983806_744006_2014.jpg

:splitspin
Looking good Richie.:)I like the new aquascape even though it looked fine before.I see the zoos and leather settled in nicely.I'll keep you in mind for the other zoos you wanted.
As for air lifter I have one on my tank for over 3 years with no problem. Just make sure to keep the little nipple on top of the overflow box clean when the coraline algae starts to take over.It will get in there too so just use a toothpick to clean it out.Best of luck

h20 freak

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A hippo in a 55? Someone call the tang police.

Also I don't think you should be keeping a whole group of anthias, they are very active and so every individual has a big bioload. Also they like being fed alot which means more wastes.

Rtam3185

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Grknyer: Thanks! The Zoas are doing great. Thanks for the tip with the lifter. I will keep that in mind.

H20: I know a full grown hippo tang is way too big for a 55g. But what about a small one? oO He's only about 3 inches atm. When he gets bigger I have plans to either sell him off or put him in a 600g display tank located where I work.

h20 freak

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yea, H20 thanks for the advice on the anthias. I'm not going to get one or a few anymore. I'm happy with what I have stocked for now. I just want a freaken royal gramma which I can't find anywhere aha. :irked:

I love grammas, my old one was so interesting to watch but I lost him due to a floor sanding incident :mad: And your right, I haven't seen one in My lfs in a while, if ever.

edit: and yes, if you have a future home for the little guy then he should be fine, just remember to give him lots of veggies.

Rtam3185

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
I love grammas, my old one was so interesting to watch but I lost him due to a floor sanding incident :mad: And your right, I haven't seen one in My lfs in a while, if ever.

edit: and yes, if you have a future home for the little guy then he should be fine, just remember to give him lots of veggies.

Oh yea, he chews through so much nori a day. I also feed him spirulina. He's so freaken fat haha. Hmm perhaps the distributors are having trouble stocking royal grammas :( Sorry to hear your lost. They are so beautiful :splitspin

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: