Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Stores Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2009, 07:38 PM
Liquid Breathing
Reefer Ratings: (0 (0%)
Friends: (41)
Send a Private Message
Hi Paul
Very interesting test readings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul B
I now have filters designed specifically designed to remove lead and zinc so it should not be a problem again but regular ro/di does not remove enough of these elements if the initial supply is very high.
What exacltly are these filters, can you please describe them. Thank you

Concerning this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul B
my iodine is zero which surprised me being that I dose Lugols Iodine
Do you use large amounts of activated carbon? If yes, then that could be the reason or one of the reasons as activated carbon is particularly efficient in adsorbing Iodine

Quote:
Iodine Number

Many carbons preferentially adsorb small molecules. Iodine number is the most fundamental parameter used to characterize activated carbon performance. It is a measure of activity level (higher number indicates higher degree of activation), often reported in mg/g (typical range 500-1200 mg/g). It is a measure of the micropore content of the activated carbon (0 to 20 Å, or up to 2 nm) by adsorption of iodine from solution. It is equivalent to surface area of activated carbon between 900 m²/g and 1100 m²/g. It is the standard measure for liquid phase applications.
Iodine number is defined as the milligrams of iodine adsorbed by one gram of carbon when the iodine concentration in the residual filtrate is 0.02 normal. Basically, iodine number is a measure of the iodine adsorbed in the pores and, as such, is an indication of the pore volume available in the activated carbon of interest. Typically, water treatment carbons have iodine numbers ranging from 600 to 1100. Frequently, this parameter is used to determine the degree of exhaustion of a carbon in use. However, this practice should be viewed with caution as chemical interactions with the adsorbate may affect the iodine uptake giving false results. Thus, the use of iodine number as a measure of the degree of exhaustion of a carbon bed can only be recommended if it has been shown to be free of chemical interactions with adsorbates and if an experimental correlation between iodine number and the degree of exhaustion has been determined for the particular application.

Cheers Paul
Pedro Nuno ;-)

"I may of course, be egregiously wrong; but I cannot persuade myself that a theory which explains several classes of facts can be wholly wrong"...Charles Darwin.
www.reefforum.net
Zanclus canensces, cornutus, Kihikihi ou o zigzags always feed your Zanclus, Pomacanthus, Apolemichtys, Euxiphipops, all spongivores natural live sponge or try to, if you don't know how, see my article or ask me.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:15 PM
Reefer Ratings: (13 (100%)
Friends: (20)
Send a Private Message
Pedro I don't use large amounts of carbon but I was using carbon in a canister when the water in my tank was collected for the test.
That could be the reason for a zero reading. Thanks

I got the RO cartridge and resins from "The Filter Guys" I told them of the problem and they sent filters for that purpose. I think lead is the main metal these filters are supposed to remove. I will try to find out which filters I am using
Old 02-10-2009, 03:11 PM
Send a Private Message
I aquired another bumblebee gobi today and am aclimating it now.
I also tried frozen baby brine shrimp for the first time and my fish don't know the difference. I wanted to try them for when I go on vacation and someone feeds my tank, I can't expect people to hatch shrimp for me and feed the fish. The frozen baby brine work fine.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:18 PM
Send a Private Message

Last edited by Paul B; 02-13-2009 at 01:33 PM..
Old 02-13-2009, 01:33 PM
Send a Private Message
Old 02-13-2009, 04:56 PM
Vendor: Vendor - Issue reason:  
Reefer Ratings: (23 (100%)
Friends: (14)
Send a Private Message
do those gobys stick together, school, shoal whatever its called. do they like to group up?
Old 02-13-2009, 11:14 PM
Send a Private Message
They don't like each other
Old 02-17-2009, 02:32 PM
Send a Private Message
Here is another pregnant gobi. I don't think she is too pregnant and I diden't even think the pair was the same species but I guess they know better than I do.

Old 02-17-2009, 02:50 PM
Send a Private Message
I also have an update for these tiny pieces of colt coral that have spawned from the parent.
I lost one of them. It diden't croak but it got loose in the tank.
I have no idea where it went as they float pretty far. I had them in a small container in the tank and it made it through the holes.
I still have the other one in a smaller container sitting on the bottom. It seems to have grown and the polyps are extended all around, it looks like a sattelite. I wish it would attach to something before it too takes a walk, or a float
Old 02-18-2009, 05:59 PM
Send a Private Message
I just dropped almost a whole can of flake food in my tank.
I love when I do that and I don't even hardly feed flakes. I use them to get some cod liver oil into the fish.
I have an automatic feeder that puts three or four flakes and some pellets in the tank for one feeding the hippo tang. I soak the flakes in Cod liver oil
I was filling the thing and OOPs
I turned off the pumps and got most of it out. Luckilly it floats. The rest got caught in my overflow which has a screen in it so I was able to get almost all of it out.

Last edited by Paul B; 02-18-2009 at 06:01 PM..

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/tank-threads/42316-tank-reached-38-years-old-2009-a.html
Posted By For Type Date
Forum Krzysia - Index This thread Refback 10-07-2014 07:44 PM
How many years can a tank last? This thread Refback 09-26-2012 11:52 PM
How many years can a tank last? - Saltwaterfish.com Community This thread Refback 04-25-2011 09:08 AM
Paul Baldassano’s 40 year old Reef tankMajano Wand This thread Pingback 04-13-2011 12:35 AM
Manhattan Reefs - Aquarium Fish Longevity This thread Refback 04-12-2011 07:25 PM
How many years can a tank last? - Saltwaterfish.com Message Boards This thread Refback 01-15-2010 02:16 PM
How many years can a tank last? - Saltwaterfish.com Message Boards This thread Refback 03-06-2009 10:54 PM
How many years can a tank last? - Saltwaterfish.com Message Boards This thread Refback 03-06-2009 10:44 PM
Manhattan Reefs This thread Refback 01-31-2009 08:16 PM
nice fish! - CVR Forums! This thread Refback 06-13-2008 01:46 PM
nice fish! - CVR Forums! This thread Refback 06-12-2008 09:00 PM
nice fish! - CVR Forums! This thread Refback 06-12-2008 05:46 PM