Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I couldn't resist. Today I got another pipefish, a multi banded and a ruby red dragonet. Sometimes you got to have what you got to have. It was probably a mistake because now I have spawning mandarins, two pairs of pipefish and a fifth pipefish along with two dragonets and they all eat just about nothing except new born brine shrimp. I doubled my hatching supply but may have to triple it. :banghead:

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
When I get time I need to build a much larger brine shrimp hatchery, the one I have can't take the volume as it was built a long time ago for one mandarin. I still have the hatchery/auto feeder for vacations which continousely hatches how many I want but it will only work well for a week or so. Now I still need a vacation feeder to feed live blackworms which is a little more difficult but not insurmountable. If I can make that, I would not need a tank sitter any more.

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I seem to have so many fish that just eat new born brine shrimp but those are the fish I really like. I have the pair of mandarins, pair of dragon faced pipefish, a multi banded flag tail pipefish, a ruby red dragonette, pair of blue stripe pipefish, and a regular red dragonette or scooter bleeny as they are mistakenly called. For all these guys I hatch brine shrimp every day and give two or three feedings as that is what you need to do unless you want to keep common fish like tangs and clowns. I find these types of fish more interesting albeit more problematic in feeding but much more satisfying to keep.

I can't get a good picture of the ruby red guy yet. But I will. I am looking for a mate for him but the males are all I find so far.

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I just realized that I can't properly maintain my tank now that I have so many pipefish. Normally once a year I stir up the substrait where I can reach and suck out everything with a diatom filter but I can't do that with the pipefish, especially the blue stripe pipefish as they never live through that. I assume their tiny gills get clogged as I have always lost them when I make those needed typhoons. I will have to forego the typhoons as long as I have the five pipefish and see how it goes. The tank is running very well with the corals growing nicely so there is no rush to do any maintenance even though I think it has been well over a year since I did any. I can tell when a typhoon is needed and so far all is well.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: