Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Stores Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2014, 03:28 PM
Reefer Ratings: (13 (100%)
Friends: (20)
Send a Private Message
Jenna X, I would rather see hair plugs than frag plugs. I hate those things and I feel a reef looks so fake with them in there. The first thing I do with a frag is break them off. They are great to propagate corals or sell them, but then it is time to lose them and glue your frags to a rock. The tank just looks so much more natural. When I dive I very rarely see corals connected to those frag plugs.

I am dying to take most of the rock out of my tank and re-arrange it as those stupid pistol shrimp have gotten large and now I think they even bought a bulldozer because I can't believe shrimps could do that much damage. I should toggle bolt the rocks through the bottom of my tank, but that would have it's own set of problems. I really, really want to build this rock "mesh" base for all the rock that would be suspended off the bottom and suspended on cables. Some day I am going to do that. It has a few design problems but not anything insurmountable. I am working on it.

Last edited by Paul B; 01-18-2014 at 06:01 PM..
Old 01-18-2014, 06:13 PM
Reefer Ratings: (32 (100%)
Friends: (12)
Send a Private Message
Me too. I stick the frag plug in one spot to see if the coral opens up then either cut or break them off. I have a collection of frag plugs to remind myself that I don't need any new corals. Actually I have my fiancee for that.

Wow I wouldn't begin to imagine how to do that, it seems complicated especially since you have a lot of fish and corals in the tank, wouldn't that disrupt them? Maybe you can catch the pistol shrimp, but I'm sure it's easier said than done.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:55 AM
Send a Private Message
I don't want to remove the pair of shrimp, just make it so they don't create an earthquake every time they decide to move their cave
Old 01-23-2014, 01:41 PM
Send a Private Message
I was asked if there were pictures of the progression of my tank.
There are some pictures of my tank on here from the beginning and some from when someone invented the internet, but the 25 or so years before that all my pictures are someplace on film. Film is like Scotch Tape but pictures stick to it.
This picture, Circa 1972 was my first real salt water tank. It is a 30 or 40 gallon tank filled with NSW from the Long Island Sound. When I got married and moved it was all carried to my new, very small apartment.
In 1979 we moved to our new house and I again carried everything to my new home where I put everything into the existing 100 gallon tank where it has been ever since.

Over the years I added all sorts f things like this codium I collected on the east end of Long Island

This blue devil was one of the first salt water fish imported to the US. I had 7 of them in that 30 gallon tank. Here the male is over his nest of eggs in that barnacle shell. Circa 1973

Here are the eggs

These shrimp were also in that first tank where they spawned for many years.

This is the first picture of my present tank Circa 1980 in it's present location. I was just building the basement around it as it is not finished here. You can see the white bleached coral skeletons that we used for tank decoration as there was no rock or live coral for sale.

This picture (or one very similar) appeared in "FAMMA" magazine around the 90s (I forget) I remember reading the magazine on the train and thinking, Wow, this guy thinks just like me. Then realizing, OMG, It is me. I sent in the article months ago and didn't even realize it.

The only major changes the tank has gone through is lighting and many home made skimmers. I remember when I set it up, there were no sumps at the time, but I wanted to hide everything so I installed a sheet of black plexiglass about an inch from the back glass with grills to let the water back there. Any tubes or heaters were in there but my fish kept somehow getting in there and it was a disaster to get them out, so I removed it. The tank was never taken down except a few times to re aquascape, but everything was always put back in.
Of course in those days besides fish, I was also interested in the Babes. This is me with my first Girlfriend Georgia.

Last edited by Paul B; 01-23-2014 at 03:11 PM..
Old 02-03-2014, 05:43 PM
Send a Private Message
I just love my dragon faced pipefish. Very cool creatures.
Video
Old 02-11-2014, 01:48 PM
Send a Private Message
I have been wanting to re design my workshop since I moved here 35 years ago, I just "almost" finished it today. I got that little lab sink At Home Depot and I built those drawers under the bench. It took me a few decades to think about adding that sink, and between yesterday and today, I finally did it. I also built that cabinet with the four drawers in it to the right. Now if it doesn't take me another 35 years to paint it, I will be all set. It is a pleasure having a sink in there so I don't mess up the "real" sink in my finished basement and I won't have to make sure I clean out every worm before my wife sees it.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:54 PM
Reefer Ratings: (19 (100%)
Friends: (3)
Send a Private Message
Nice. Tank looks great.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:57 PM
Send a Private Message
Thanks, my Grand Son Teddy is mad because I told him he is to young, at 5 weeks old to have a reef tank, so he punched me on the chin
Old 02-11-2014, 02:05 PM
Reefer Ratings: (25 (100%)
Friends: (7)
Send a Private Message
Ah, Paul - Grandchildren, retirement, a new boat and a healthy reef tank. Sounds nice
Old 02-11-2014, 02:22 PM
Send a Private Message
It is , my life is going just like I planned it and told my girlfriend about it when I was about 5

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/tank-threads/42316-tank-reached-38-years-old-2009-a.html
Posted By For Type Date
Forum Krzysia - Index This thread Refback 10-07-2014 07:44 PM
How many years can a tank last? This thread Refback 09-26-2012 11:52 PM
How many years can a tank last? - Saltwaterfish.com Community This thread Refback 04-25-2011 09:08 AM
Paul Baldassano’s 40 year old Reef tankMajano Wand This thread Pingback 04-13-2011 12:35 AM
Manhattan Reefs - Aquarium Fish Longevity This thread Refback 04-12-2011 07:25 PM
How many years can a tank last? - Saltwaterfish.com Message Boards This thread Refback 01-15-2010 02:16 PM
How many years can a tank last? - Saltwaterfish.com Message Boards This thread Refback 03-06-2009 10:54 PM
How many years can a tank last? - Saltwaterfish.com Message Boards This thread Refback 03-06-2009 10:44 PM
Manhattan Reefs This thread Refback 01-31-2009 08:16 PM
nice fish! - CVR Forums! This thread Refback 06-13-2008 01:46 PM
nice fish! - CVR Forums! This thread Refback 06-12-2008 09:00 PM
nice fish! - CVR Forums! This thread Refback 06-12-2008 05:46 PM