Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
That arrow crab shed as I knew he would and now he is much larger. So much larger that I am afraid to go to sleep at night as he has been looking at me funny lately with those beady little eyes.
I think he is mad that it is taking me so long to find a suitable mate for him but I am looking for a real cute one, sort of like a Crab Supermodel, so it is taking a while. I find that crabs seem to live forever and that the only time one would die is right after they shed and another creature finds them tasty. I am sure the numerous bristleworms I have smell him and chase him around right after he sheds. If he sheds on the gravel, they will surround him and possibly trip him so that when he falls down, they put him in a Ricky Nelson.
(Full Nelson for you young uns)
I also have some large hermit crabs that I got the size of a pea. Those too live forever and I lost a pair a few years ago that were about 12 years old. They died a week apart.

These guys lived to 12 years old. The female is the cute one with the above the knee shell and blue eye stalks.

These local New York rock crabs you can collect here all over the place. They grow to about the size of a baseball in a year so you can't keep them to long.

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Andy (Aquarium Village) This is the coral we spoke about. Get me more of these.

Here is that fish. He is very cool.

And this guy, (lousy picture I know)

And this guy (with his fins down)

Here he is in a different pose, and color apparently.

And this queen anthius is really cool.

And of course I am gorgonian crazy, I need more. It's a disease. :bigeyes2:

And I took this picture of it in the Caribbean 2 weeks ago.

Last edited:

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
It seems that my clownfish spawn almost exactly every 30 days that I notice. They may spawn twice as much as that but I don't notice. The bluestripe pipefish are harder to tell because the male always seems to be pregnant. The mandarins sometimes go through spawning every couple of weeks to a month or more. It is very hard to tell because those, and most fish spawn just before the lights go out. Bangai cardinals need a lot of food to spawn and it is hard to feed them enough in a mixed reef tank. Them, like Moorish Idols lose length on their dorsal fin when they don't eat enough and they will stop spawning. The two adults I have can probably eat more by themselves than all 20 of the rest of my fish with the copperband being second. If I fed them as much as I really should, they would spawn every couple of weeks like they are supposed to but I just can't put that much food in the tank every day or I would be changing the water twice a day. Feeding correctly is always hard in a tank full of corals. My nitrates are already way to high but I really want all my fish to spawn so my SPS will just have to get over it. This has always been a problem and as you know, fish grow. And sometimes they grow much larger than we would like.

LongIslandAndy

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Andy (Aquarium Village) This is the coral we spoke about. Get me more of these.

Here is that fish. He is very cool.

And this guy, (lousy picture I know)

And this guy (with his fins down)

Here he is in a different pose, and color apparently.

And this queen anthius is really cool.

And of course I am gorgonian crazy, I need more. It's a disease. :bigeyes2:

And I took this picture of it in the Caribbean 2 weeks ago.

Hey Paul, tank looks great. I am supposed to get 9 Carib Gorgonians in Thursday

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: