meschaefer

One to Ignore
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
It has been awhile since I really updated my build thread, so I thought I would just start a new one as opposed to updating the old one that had gotten kind of long.

To recap the tank is a 220 gallon inwall (30W x 24T x 72L) starphire glass, and eurobraced. It has external overflows, and water flows from the overflows though two 1.5 inch durso stand pipes. One of the overflows goes directly into a filter sock, while the other diverts some of the water to gravity feeds my skimmer (DAS EX-2) with the remainder also passing through a filter sock.

This pick shows the plumbing coming from the overflows.
Return.jpg

The sump is a 120 Gallon tank that I put three baffles in, and two bulkheads (1.5 inch and 2.0 inches). The 2" bulkhead goes to the return pump, a reeflow dart. The other bulkhead, is used to drain the sump for water changes, it is plumbed directly into my my waste water line.

An older picture of the sump, before it was plumbed into the system.
SumpinPlace.jpg

From the return pump water goes to a plumbing manifold that allows me to send water back to the tank, as well as a phosban reactor, a carbon reactor, and my chiller.

Also older pictures, but they should give you the general idea.
Dart.jpg

Manifold.jpg

back.jpg

I just recently added a 1/2 Horsepower Tradewind Chiller. I wanted to avoid having the chiller vent directly into the tank room, so I built a large stand that basicly allows me to stick the exhaust end of the chiller out the window. I re-routed one of the return lines going from the plumbing manifold back to the tank in order to feed it. I have plenty of water moving through the chiller, and it has worked like a charm thus far (then again it has only been up and running for two weeks). You can see that everything is joined with ball valves and unions, so it is easy to disconnect it.

ChillerPlumbing.jpg

For lighting, I have two 250w MHs driven by Bluewave HQI ballasts on the old style luminarc reflectors. I am currently using Reeflux 10K SE blulbs, but have found them to be a little to yellow on the HQI ballasts. For supplemental lighting I have 2 36Inch VHO actinics, powered by an Icecap 660. The MH Reflectors are on pullies so I can lower and raise them as needed. I only run the two MH, as opposed to three, as my live rock is piled in two pillars (held together with acrylic rod) with one MH over each piller. I was going to use three, but it seemed a waste. If I find that I need it I can always add it very easily.

Here you can see the reflectors for the MH, the VHO run only along the front of the tank and would be behind the MH reflectors. This is a pic taken before I got them up and running.

DSC02465.jpg

Here is a shot of most of my fish room.

TankRoom.jpg

Last edited:

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Wow Matt..that is some set up!
When do we get to see the tank from the front and full of goodies? :)

..can you add the link to the first part of the tank thread? :rolleyes:

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Hey Matt. I like the idea of the pinatas hanging there, I mean filter socks. Nice and clean smelling :rolleyes: . Nice behind the scenes tour. Like Kath said, how about the front shot :biggrin:

swimmer

meschaefer

One to Ignore
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Hey Matt. I like the idea of the pinatas hanging there, I mean filter socks. Nice and clean smelling :rolleyes: . Nice behind the scenes tour. Like Kath said, how about the front shot :biggrin:

swimmer

You should like the pinatas, I got them from you. Those are used but dry, so they really don't have much smell to them. I have three sets of two, obviously one set is always being used, the other set is on another hook that allows them to drain right after I switch them out, and then the third set is out of the way on those hooks.

I alway find the back of the scenes tours more interesting than the FTS.

meschaefer

One to Ignore
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
As I said above, I always find the behind the scenes tours more interesting, but I guess it is all academic if you don't see what is going on up front.

FTS.jpg

LeftSide.jpg

Right.jpg

grundig5

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Sweet looking fish room Matt. I need to check it out sometime. I am also a big fan of the "less is more" aquascape--nice work!

meschaefer

One to Ignore
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
and now for some close ups...

It's kind of hard to get an idea as to the size of some of these pieces, as they look kind of puny in the full tank shot.

This Cap, is about the size of a small dinner plate and you can only make out about half of it in this shot, the other half wraps around the back of the rock.

CapJune08.jpg

This is a digitata that came to almost a hot pink color, and has since turned orange.

DigiJune08.jpg

The is a purple acropora. I think it is a milli, but it's branching structure seems to be more spread out than other millis that I have kept. The distance between the tips of the two larger branches is about 6 inches. This is really a beautiful coral.

Monti.jpg

This is an acropora nana, that i have had the hardest time getting to color up. It is about the 8 inches across in diameter. It came to me dark brown, lightened up a lot and the tips started to turn purple for me. Every time it starts to color up, I have some sort of set back, either an Alk swing or a large temp increase in the tank (before the chiller). Hopefully, I will be able to get this thing to color up and stay colored up.

NanaJune08.jpg

Chase

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice setup and I too like the aquascape. Am I wrong? I thought a tank with dimensions of 72 x 24 x 24 was a 180 gallon. I must've missed something.

Chase

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too bad for me. I'm looking to upgrade soon to a 72 x 24 x 24 and was hoping it was larger than I originally thought :)

JLAudio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Amazing setup, that aquascape is really nice and breath of fresh air from all the crowded ROCK/SPS tanks out their. I really feell this will be an elite tank when its all grown out.

Great job

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: