jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
How to hide a tank in plain site

BC take note

This is a little frame/hood I made for a 15 gallon quarantine tank this past winter. I just had it set up in my bedroom for my redbug problem. After breaking it down I did not want to stick it back under the stairs where it was so...

qtfront.jpg

I found a spot for it in the living room. Some of the stuff that's inside it was sitting in the space it now occupies, thus the picture frames.

qtside.jpg

Now here is the the good part. Look inside the cabinet underneath it.
Plenty of room for a MH ballast and a small chiller, even a little sump :)

inside.jpg

This will not happen right away. I will first have to find a place for the stuff that's inside the cabinet now. Then the next time I need to set it up it can stay where it is. It will also give people time to get used to it just sitting there. Now all I need is the chiller...

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
hey Kris,

thank you. This is strictly a QT, I will only set it up when needed. So far it's been needed twice. It will be set up soon again for things from the frag swap. Any coral or inverts I get will be placed under observation. One thing i learned from having the SPS in this tank for a month is you really need some snails in the tank to take care of the algae. It's amazing how fast it grows. I will no longer take my snails for granted, they are the unsung heros of our tanks. Without them my tank would be a complete mess.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
BC I may ask you to help me drill this for an external overflow if I decide to go the sump route with it. or just to hook it up to a chiller. I hate having over the side plumbing.

realhiphop

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. That tank looks perfect right there! I love the way the tank worked its way into being a part of the living room. Well planned.

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I guess I am oldschool man, cause i absolutely love tanks that are framed like that. I never cared for the curved corners etc. I hope to meet you soon John cause there are definitely a few things that I want to talk to you about. As in work for you man. The few things I have seen you do, both on this site and on yous site is phenomenal. Its no wonder you are not really affected by the economy. There will always be people who are willing to pay for good work!!

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
thanks Herman, I'm looking forward to meeting you as well :grouphug:

part of the reason I'm in NY is for the amount of potential clients.
there is a ton of disposable income floating around the city:)
tapping into it is the tricky part.

realhiphop

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There certainly is a ton of disposable income floating around. I'll use your services when I can afford that custom in wall tank one of these years.

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
RHH,

I would definately recommend it - I had mine done by a contractor and not a carpenter/cabinet maker - and I make trhe distinction becuase one can build and the latter can craft - making it is 1/2 the battle, making it beautiful is why JH is so good. He will do mine for sure oncce I setlle into my new office.

House

Sean

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
realy nice tank
love the framed look and dark stain

my only concern is the hinges are they good enough for that sweet looking job?

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
no the hinges were temporary, and I never had the chance to change them.

I was just looking through some catalogs for something that would complement it.
I'm thinking antique brass. I'm also going to look in the "parts" bins in my parents basement, they have all kinds of old hardware parts down there, maybe I'll score some vintage hinges.

you have a keen eye Sean :)

Sean

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
cool some vintage hinges would look awsome just be carful of the rust factor (I'm sure I didn't have to tell you that)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: