Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I used to be a member back in 2002-2003ish by the name of TGRupert or the great rupert. I can;t figure out my password so I created a new account. I had a lot of hair at the time. I remember attending our first group buy/frag swap it was great and hope you guys can help me out with my new project.

My girlfriend attends to college here in new york and grew up RIGHT on the ocean in new hampshire and florida. I set up a saltwater tank for her to remind her of home. it's very non traditional but here's the concept. it's ten gallons and contains a bunch of sand and rocks from the tide pool in her backyard. we got a bunch of hair algae, pods, and snails. we even have a couple crabs and a urchin and a sponge. the idea is to see if we can have a temperate tank at room temperature and ambient light from the four big windows in her room.

eventually once the pods start reproducing we'll put a tank separator in the tank and get one small fish like a goby or a damsel that would be suitable for 72 degrees that would subside on the amphipods but the separator would keep the fish from eating all the pods. I have done this successfully in a tropical nano reef before. I have two air driven filters but I think I may have to get a power filter at some point but don't want to kill the pods with the impeller.

Her step father is convinced it is destined for failure and will smell really bad. So I pretty much have to be successful. It's not supposed to be a show piece, but more of a science experiment.

what I am looking for:
first of all if anyone has any ideas let me know. I am particularly interested in ideas of livestock that would do well in slightly colder set ups.

I would love some 'fuge clippings of various types of macro algae. I'm not sure what will work best/at all with ambient lighting.

I wasn't able to get porous rock if anyone has stagnant old live rock or dead rock I would be interested in buying it. You could buy fresh life rock to replace it and add some extra life to your tank.

anyone got a small power filter collecting dust?

I am happy to pay for stuff and pick it up in person but I remember how much you guys run this place. I fully expect to not be permitted to pay, but will be compelled to reciprocate. I am just concerned I may have a lot of parasites because everything I got is from the wild and don't want to hurt anyone elses setups.

thanks

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
hair algae can grow in ambient light for sure(even though not very healthy)-others duno.
How do you plan to keep the tank at 72 degree-by having not artificial light, no power head....? Is your room cooled by AC or something? I have couple tanks running at 82 degrees mostly and most fish are doing great for years. Only corals don't seem to like that temperature.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when i say hair algae I mean the stuff that looks liek a giant afro, not long thin straight hair.

do you think calerpa would do well?

the room has an AC. I am ussing 72 degrees to say room temperature. all the critters in the tank look really familiar.

the tank is almost a week old and it doesn't seem to be going through cycle growing pains. I think it's because there is so much material with bio bacteria on it.

i don't think I need a powerhead because I don't have coral. I have some filter feeders in the tank, but if they can;t make it they will get eaten by the snails and pods. it would be nice to have them survive, but my tank isn't predicated on beutifull filter feeders it's abotu the hardiest inverts around.

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was a pedicab driver for three years and was a founding member of the drivers association. now I do what can best be described a sneaker arbitrage and I take pictures of people looking at ads for advertising companies. I take pictures of people stuck in traffic for fun and would love to be taken $erio$ly a$ an arti$t but I am fine doing it for my own pleasure. Also if you want some crazy sneakers cause you are about to go on tour with your rap crew I'm your guy.

I live in a commune on staten island. Yes, that commune. and no it's not that exciting.

I just did over a half liter of tequilla shots with two coeds tonight. they're out smoking. life's good

last time I saw you in person you were teachng at pace had a little baby and a marraige that was about to end. you also had a sweet reef and a sweet flat screen monitor. What's still around? My dad is an adjunct professor at pace law school in westchester.

I can't believe that two thousand ANYTHING counts as back in the day. this is suposed to be the future.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: