HappyInWater

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I wanted to create a tank thread when i originally joined MR, but I didn't get the chance to as I was always busy at work. But things are different today. All I needed were a combination of FREE time :scratchch + a USB flash memory drive with my tank pics.

Here's a picture of my previous 55gallon reef tank that I had broken down in early November last month. It was a Tenecor acrylic tank with the built in wet/dry sump in the back. I did a few mods on it so I could hook up the main tank to a 20gal acrylic sump/refugium.
IMG_5264.jpg

I wish I had the "in between" shots when I did the transition from the 55g to the 120g. But here's a pic of the 36" Sunpod 2x250 (lights turned off) on top of the 120gal setup. Took in early December.
IMG_5400.jpg

With the Sunpod fixture turned on. I planned on using these lights temporarily as I was waiting to upgrade to either a 48" fixture of hanging pendant style lighting.
IMG_5609.jpg

IMG_5430.jpg

Octopus Extreme 200 Skimmer bought from Aquacave.
IMG_5461.jpg

Un-boxing the Octopus package.
IMG_5462.jpg

After putting all the skimmer parts together.
IMG_5465.jpg

Pic of the 30gal (AGA 36x16x12) sump/refugium with the two glass baffles installed. I was originally worried that the Octopus Extreme skimmer would not but as you can see it make it home nicely.
IMG_5625.jpg

Skimmer in action
IMG_5626.jpg

Close up of the collection cup "Doin its Business" :wink1:
IMG_5627.jpg

Here are some brand new goodies :tongue1: that I have not gotten to setup yet. I will probably start setting them up next year.

They include:
-Koralin 1502 Reactor which I got from Ming (thanks).
-10lb CO2
-JBJ regulator
-Aqua Controller Jr with Lab Grade pH and temp prob
-Lumen Bright Mini Pendants (16x16x8) Double ended with 250watt Ice Cap Ballasts (installed on 12/21)
-Auto Top Off unit
IMG_5683.jpg

This picture was taken this weekend 12/21/08 after installing the Lumen Bright Mini Pendants. I went to Homedepot three times :irked: before I finally got the right amount and type of wall anchors.
IMG_5708.jpg

You would have to really see these pendants in person to actually see how BRIGHT they are when they light up.
I hung these pendants approx 16" (height from bulb to water) above the water level as I read that these will need to set at this height minimum in order to get its optimal spread effect.
IMG_5709.jpg

Front shot of the tank with the Pendants above.
IMG_5711.jpg

LB minis are installed with the double ended 250watt XM 15000K bulbs.
IMG_5712.jpg

I didn't like hanging the pendant from the ceiling so I had to design/fabricate this wall mounted oak shelf. With the wall anchors that I had used this thing would allow you to prop yourself up there and sit up on the shelf as a chair (well not literally). Both of the Ice Cap ballasts were set on top of the shelf. The 24" iron pipe arms supporting the pendants were picked up from the plumbing section of homedepot bolted securely down by the steel pipe brackets.
IMG_5714.jpg

The final product. Well not final as I still need to install the calcium reactor, 110lbs of live rock which has been curing in the Brute for about 5 weeks already, another 80lbs of aragonite oolic sand, ATO unit, and the Aqua Controller.
IMG_5749.jpg

Let me know what you guys think.
Any input, suggestions, comments are very much appreciated :smile:

Johnny

reefman

Chairman of the board
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
nice start. however the light support looks a bit outa place. it would look better with something like a L pole like pic below (similation). or at least paint the support to match the walls.

Attachments

• IMG_5749.jpg
    IMG_5749.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 391

aaron23

!THE ULTIMATE REEFER!
Rating - 98.3%
234   4   0
lol dont let arron aquascape those rocks :lol2:
LOL, He should PAY ME to aquascAPE ALVIN! :chefico:

Looking good cuz :) gOOd work! nice pics, i want to come by and look at that skimmer looks like its doing a good job.

I agree with the L shaped rods, maybe we can do something about that later. Sweet though!

HappyInWater

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
LOL, He should PAY ME to aquascAPE ALVIN! :chefico:

Looking good cuz :) gOOd work! nice pics, i want to come by and look at that skimmer looks like its doing a good job.

I agree with the L shaped rods, maybe we can do something about that later. Sweet though!

Hey, your the one that killed my red yuma that I got from Dr Mac!! :lol: That was one SUPER RED yuma. R.I.P!! :frown:

HappyInWater

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
BAD New!!! Horror story!!

i am leaving for Quebec and Montreal tomorrow morning 12/28 for a week. So i decided to do a 10% water change tonight. Apparently i didnt close my ball valve (in between sump and return pump) all the way so my GenX-55 pump ran dry =( And produced a LOUD annoying shreking noise. So i imediately pulled the plug from the wall. At that mmoment the pumps casing was extremely HOT!
With the help of Ming over the phone. He mentioned to take apart the pump and check the pump's impeller and metal casing which i did and did not find any problems. I next put everything back together and plugged it once more to give it another try but still the pump would be power on.
Right now (temporarily) since my return pump is shot, i had put in 2 Aquaclears in the main tank with 500w heater and in the sump i left the skimmer running with 100w heater and a maxi jet for circulation until i replace the GenX pump with a new one from Tony (reef exotics) luckily he's about 10min away from me locally. Replacing the pump Sunday morning so that'll delay my road trip for tomorrow.

This hobby gets me too much stress. I thought it was supposed to be enjoyable.

HappyInWater

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I am "Sump Less," for now...

I took out my 30gal sump tank, ripped out the vinyl plumbing and removed return pump. That's cause I decided to redo the baffles in the sump and change my plumbing from vinyl tubing to PVC. Ordered my plumbing parts from flexpvc.com, which should be arriving today.
My original glass baffles were 11.75"x12" (LXH) so i decided to get the height of them cut down from 12" to 9"
IMG_6250.jpg

Installed the MP40W Vortech during the weekday. I placed the pump 3" below the water level. Have it currently set at short pulse with about 50% power. Which creates a 3/4" up and down wave in my 120gal. The only thing I am noticing is that the pump is pretty loud when it is pulsating. Is that natural for the pump to be doing that? I checked the pump and the wet side of the vortech and everything looks to be attached/aligned correctly.

installed the pump on the left side of the tank.
IMG_6227.jpg

right side view of the tank with the pump.
IMG_6228.jpg

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: