Picture081.jpg

Picture083.jpg

Picture038.jpg

Last edited:

damien

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I've had them for about 2 months now, not too hard to feed. They mostly eat leftover food. I've just been leaving them alone and they've been fine.

Domboski

No Coral Here
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
Purple Nudibranch Info

Quote from seaslugforum.net: Your purple slug is what I am calling Hypselodoris bullocki. There are now three pages of messages concerning this species on the Forum, many of them from aquarium keepers wanting to know how to feed them. The short answer is that anyone who tells you they eat green algae either doesn't know what they are talking about or is trying to trick you. In either case I think you should complain. As you will see in earlier messages Hypselodoris bullocki is a carnivore, feeding on sponges. Unfortunately we do not know which species of sponge it eats, but I would suspect that like related species it will only feed on one or two partcular species. Your supplier obviously doesn't know what species they feed on so he won't be able to supply it for you. The other major problem is that even if you knew which sponge to feed it, keeping sponges alive in aquaria is difficult. And keeping sponges alive, while they are being eaten is even more difficult.

Concerning the egg ribbon. Yes it will be your slugs. I'm afraid egg-laying is not a sign of well-being, in fact it is often a sign of stress.
Sorry I can't give you better news,

Bill Rudman
<CITE>Rudman, W.B., 2001 (May 13). Comment on Purple sea slug by Alexandra Ellwood. [Message in] Sea Slug Forum. Australian Museum, Sydney. Available from http://www.seaslugforum.net/find.cfm?id=4316 </CITE>

Last edited:

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
if the LFS you got them from advised you they will eat normal fish food I would no longer shop there. each nudibranch has a specific food they eat. the challenge to keeping them alive in our tanks is first figuring out what they eat, then providing the food for them. most of the time this will be impossible to do as we do not have access to the specific types of food they eat. it can be a single type of algae or gorgonian, or sponge they feed on.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: