• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

TighTT

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Hey all,
I'm new around these parts. I have owned a few fresh-water tanks over the years but this is my first forte into saltwater. I started by reading the forums for a few months to get some insight into the reef world and gain as much knowledge (still not enough) before I dove in. Well...with my friends help (long-time reefer) I purchased and set-up an Elos system mini over the weekend. I opted for the whole kit (complete with E-light) and then added a 100w heater, Vortech MP20 pump, and obviously sand and cured live rock. I'm still waiting for my Digital Aquatics Reef-Keeper Elite and Tunze Osmolator auto top-off unit which should be here shortly. I plan to keep just the sand and live rock for quite some time before adding any livestock. From what I have gathered, time is your best friend in this hobby....and I'm in no rush. Oh..some pics of the current setup:

Before setup:
elos_mini_10-vi.jpg

elos_mini_03-vi.jpg

elos_mini_11-vi.jpg

elos_mini_04-vi.jpg

After setup......
Whole room shot:
P1000097-vi.jpg

Tank:
P1000103-vi.jpg

P1000104-vi.jpg

P1000106-vi.jpg

P1000105-vi.jpg

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Ah good times putting together the Mini at my place before we trucked it over back to yours.

It was a snap to build, with the exception of the of stand that didn't come w/ instructions.

The tank looks a bit unassuming in all its pictures I've seen. It looks killer in person :)

jejton

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Looks nice. I dont know anything about the Elos so forgive the stupid question but does the tank have to be assembled by the purchaser?

TighTT

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Thanks for the nice words fellas. I just re-did the aquascape this evening. Im sure it wont be the last time...might take a few tries to get it right.
Anyone else in the area running the Elos system mini??

TighTT

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
And a few more tank shots. I have a slight micro bubble problem but nothing Im too worried about. I plan to let the tank/skimmer break-in before I try any of the "fixes".
DSC_0188-vi.jpg

DSC_0191-vi.jpg

DSC_0192-vi.jpg

DSC_0193-vi.jpg

The Vortech MP20 pump....great for the Mini!
DSC_0194-vi.jpg

And no, its not off-center....just looks that way in the pic. :)
DSC_0195-vi.jpg

SeaIsle

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I notice you have the solid plastic to the side on the wet portion of the vortech. Is the vortech pulling down any air as it is relatively close to the surface?

TighTT

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
blast from the past.......

Funny to find you over here now.... what are you doing? Following me from AW and AZ... now MR?

What's going on?

LOL...funny seeing you here! How have things been??

I still have my white A4....although its a bit more beefy these days:

A4A4-vi.jpg

IMG_8958-vi.jpg

Whats crackin' with you?? Still talk to Tony and Jeremy at all??

TighTT

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I notice you have the solid plastic to the side on the wet portion of the vortech. Is the vortech pulling down any air as it is relatively close to the surface?

I aligned the pump in its current configuration in accordance with the directions from Vortech. I was getting a bit of vibration and the directions tell you to turn the fan unit until it smooths out. I have the throttle set to about 1/2 and it seems to be doing well. No huge ripples on the waters top and no major disturbance of the sand bed.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: