Simon Garratt

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi David.

Yep your right, Southampton is about 2 hours away from London.

I do know David actually as we have talked on the phone a few times over various ideas etc, and met at shows, but to date I have never had the oportunity to go visit his tank although Id love to.

If you are ever heading this way then yes please feel free to give me a shout first as i regularly do meets at my place and have guests over to talk reef keeping.

regards

Simon.

RGibson

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simon what kind of filter is that on the side of the calcium reactor allso what size Eheim pumps did you used on the reactor?
Ralph

Simon Garratt

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Ralph.

The pumps are Eheim 1250's (1250lph each) I could have used a single 1060, but i wanted the flexability to run any type of media and to do that you need adjustablity. having two pumps with control taps means i can run at varying flow rates as required (usually both pumps wide open with branch media) or i can switch it down to one with fine medias that would otherwise lift or fluidise too much, plus I'm ever stock completely if a pump goes pop which is allways a risk with calcium reactor pumps.

The pod on the side is a de-gas unit that holds ARM media. Its higher dissolution rate than the branch media means that i can get that last bit of saturation going whilst picking the effluant DkH up marginally. as it is, after the pod i get an output pH of around 7.2 which is a marked imporovement on running it strait out of the body at 6.45

Regards

Simon.

RGibson

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simon thank you for all the information and pictures ,now if i could just get you to build one like you have in the picture and ship it to the USA that would be good ,will pay in pounds.

Simon Garratt

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Luckily i have a very good friend who ownes a cnc engineering company that makes componants for the Mclaren formular one team and also made some bits for particle accelorator thingy in europe, so the lids etc on these reactors have shared some pretty celubrious workbench time with a few special componants.

The downside is, it takes me ages to build each reactor by hand. ive built 3 now (an extra 1m one for the guy with the workshop) and each one has taken around a week of evenings to assemble not including the CNC time.

Its been good fun, but not something id want to take on commercially, The production costs would be quite prohibative unless there were several corners cut to keep it down, I did work it out to about ?1200 per reactor (componants and man hours combined minus the CNC time) but there will be a full DIY 'how to' page on my website as soon as i get it finished so people can download the technical drawings and build thier own.

Regards

Simon.

Last edited:

Simon Garratt

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To answer a few questions i so rudely missed (my appologies)

Josh:
Amazing! Can you post some more specs about the tank? Lighting, supplements, maintenance?

Lighting consists of 2 x 400w 10k SE BLV's set into mini luminarcs that run a 9 hour cycle and there are two banks of 54w actinics (one front, one rear) running ATI true actinic t5's that run for 11 hours with a 1 hour overlap either side of the halides.

Although this isnt a huge amount of light compared to many systems in relation to total watts/sqm of surface area at only 396w/sqm its only 24" water depth, so the overal par values are still quite good throughout the tank. Plus i'm a big believer in heavy feeding which imo negates older thinking that placed light intensity above the need for actually feeding corals. I think nowadays its widely accepted that with good feeding there is far less need for such intense lighting than we used to believe.

With regards to suppliments, basically i dont use any addatives beyond the odd batch of raw chemicals to solve occasional minor chemical imbalances with regards to Ca,Mg,Alk, with everything else supplied via the calcium reactor media.

Testing is done weekly with regards to main core element levels, whilst the free nutrient load is tested monthly.

Maintanance consists of the following.

1: Clean skimmer cup and riser every 3 or 4 days on everage with a full reactor body cleaning once per month.
2: Po4 reactor media swapped completely every 3 months with one third new media added halfway through.
3: Carbon is changed every 14-21 days at the least.
4: Change T5's every 8 - 12 months.
5: Change halides every 14 months.
6: A One quarter slice of the DSB is replaced every 12 months, and the intank shallow sand bed is topped up every 12 months.
7: The tank gets all internal panels cleaned and scraped off once every month with the weir comb cleaned at the same time.
8: WD40 is sprayed onto the exposed parts of the sequence pump shafts monthly to prevent salt/damp corrosion.
9: All 5 sequences are stripped annualy with any seal kits required replaced at that time (one kit so far over 2 years constant use)
10: Any detritus that settles out in the main overflow tank is cleard out every couple of weeks.
andf thats about it as far as maintanance goes. in fact on a daily or weekly basis i do fairly little.

feeding is on the heavy side with about 5 or six blocks of frozen foods spread over several feeds throughout the day, with pellet and nori fed ontop of that and frozen rotifers and red plankton fed to the corals at night. additionaly i feed the dsb critters a mussel or two over two weeks ontop of what waste they get from the main tank.

Jhale:
It looks like you built the rock work before the tank was finished?
now that is different :)
<SCRIPT type=text/javascript>gal_register('gal_1_561062', '1', '1', '0', '0', '0');</SCRIPT>

Hi Jonathan, yes, i did it this way becouse it allowed me to work within the footprint of the base without the hinderence of having to work 'within the tank' once its sides were on. the rocks were removed for curing once hardned and whilst the sides were fitted, then re-installed later on prior to filling with water. all in all it was a very easy way of doing things.

regards

Simon.

Simon Garratt

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest Ralph, i have absolutely no idea. I think its around 3.2pence per kwh or was the last time i looked, I just pay whatever bill comes through the door :wink1: which is a combined gas and electric bill.

I did have a dabble with one of those online calculators, but to be honest they arnt that accurate once you start adding loads of stuff up.

In the mean time though, one for the DIY nuts out there.

Heres a piccy of the 3rd and final Diy reactor that i've made for friends.

me and reactor.jpg

The night i deliverd it was funny, as we were having a meeting at another keepers house who owns a fish only system. I got there early and stuck the reactor next to his tank out of the way so the guy it was realy going to could come by and pick it up later..

Everybody who came to the meeting struggled to understand why in the hell he was bolting a 1m tall twin pump calcium reactor onto a 5 x 2.5 fish only system...not realising it was actually just there for another member to collect to use on his 7 x 4 x 3...

we had a giggle at that one.:lol2:

Regards

Simon.

BZOFIQ

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
To be honest Ralph, i have absolutely no idea. I think its around 3.2pence per kwh or was the last time i looked, I just pay whatever bill comes through the door :wink1: which is a combined gas and electric bill.

Simon.

3.2 pence per KWh is rather/extremely cheap considering the fact energy costs are higher in Europe. If it is so, good for you. We are a "bit" higher at somewhere around 17-22 cents (depending on the season) per KWh.

BTW. Once again, love your attention to details especially after looking at the reactors you've built.

Last edited:

Simon Garratt

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheers guys and thanks for the compliments.

Re the electric, I realy must dig out a bill and take a peak at the rates.

anyhow..

I was sitting on the sofa last night when Emma turns round and says, 'Why is your Urchin climbing up that Gorgonia. (actually I think it was more like...Why is your spikey thing hanging off that brown stick thing...or words to that effect..)

Well, first she climbes up the Gorgonia:

Diadema%20spawn%2001.jpg

Then lets rip with a major spawning session which sends the skimmer nuts for the next 3 hours.

Diadema%20spawning.jpg

Still.......Good food for the corals I suppose.

regards

Simon.

Simon Garratt

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I think mainly its a case of hitting that balance point between having a stable enough environment and a good enough food supply that the organisms present have enough surplus energy to get to a breeding state

Although there are mixed opinions as to whether thats a good or bad thing in a closed reef situation.

Ive seen a couple of tanks now that have suffered catastrophic overload from mass spwnings so its only any good if you are stocked and filterd with surplus capacity imo. If you are stocked to the hilt already and running at the upper end of your filtrations capacity then Its not such a good thing to happen.

I was playing the other day and took some in tank video footage with my submersible camara...a bit of a roam around with the camara if you will.

It was fun and im no video editor. :eek:.

Video

Regards

Si.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: