Fish Finder

Co-Founder
Vendor
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
UPDATE: Well it's been a little time since i posted a update. The tank is almost completely cycled. And i am getting ready to order my first fish for the tank. Here are some clear shots of the tank. Whatcha think so far?

IMG_2050.jpg

IMG_2049.jpg

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
What Dom suggested works, or you can get the plain black/blue plain vinyl-ish background stuff from the LFS. One side is black the other usually blue. Easy to wipe off salt creep..and you can change your mind about the color:)

kigs

<3 palytoxin
Rating - 97.2%
35   1   0
Cool set up. Is this going to be a dedicated coldwater tank or will it be somewhere in between? I think I remember hearing Steve Weast say in an interview that coldwater systems should be cycled for at least 6 months before any major livestock is added.

Fish Finder

Co-Founder
Vendor
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Cool set up. Is this going to be a dedicated coldwater tank or will it be somewhere in between? I think I remember hearing Steve Weast say in an interview that coldwater systems should be cycled for at least 6 months before any major livestock is added.

This is going to be a cool water set up. I did a lot of talking with steve before attempting this tank. He was some help but not much because what i am doing is very different from what he is doing. But chatting with him is always's great. He keep's cool water tanks 50-55. My tank is a cool water tank 68-70.

Fish Finder

Co-Founder
Vendor
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
UPDATE: Nothing much new with the tank. It is now cycled and ready for critters. Yesterday i added live copepods, mysis and amphipods to the tank. So they can be established before i receave my fist fish. The first fish should be here in about a week or two. My first rare fish will be here once i come back from vacation at the end of March. Im thinking mid April.

Fish Finder

Co-Founder
Vendor
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Looks good Justin. Give us a possible stocklist!

As i continue to do my reacearch i keep on finding more and more fish that can be placed in the tank. So a stocklist is not set really yet. Only fish that i deff plain on getting for the tank are:

Group of Eastern Hulafish
Yellow Hawaiian Deepwater Anthias, Odontanthias fuscipinnis
wrought iron butterfly fish

One reason why i picked these fish is because for years i wanted them. Another reason is because i am able to get these fish when ever i am ready to get them.

I am still looking for any suggestions you or anyone else would have. On a side note to everyone the box fish will not do well in this tank (to hot for them) I have already looked into them. I am looking for mainly docile fish but would consider a semi aggressive fish if it peaks my interest.

Fish Finder

Co-Founder
Vendor
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Update: I got a canopy for the tank and a black background on (to keep all the haters quiet. u know who u are :P ) the tank. Also got a RO/DI so kathy or dom no longer have to threaten to kill me for useing tap water lol.

Next will be to work with the lighting. Not 100% sure now what i want to do with it. Which one would you suggest? 2 X 250W MH with two 3' T5's (pendents and retro kit) or a Tek 8 bulb T5 fixture.

What would you suggest?

I will not be doing any fish untill i come back from my next vacation so prob end of April. I am taking this nice and slow so everything will be ready when i get the fish.

I'm very happy with the way this set up is becoming.

Last but not least some pic's

IMG_2051.jpg

IMG_2055.jpg

IMG_2056.jpg

Pinkheine

No More Room :-(
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
This is a silly question, I think, with the water temperature being colder than your typical ambient room temp... is there any condensation on the outside of the glass? I've seen it with newly filled tanks when the water was cold before. Regardless... looking good :)

Fish Finder

Co-Founder
Vendor
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
This is a silly question, I think, with the water temperature being colder than your typical ambient room temp... is there any condensation on the outside of the glass? I've seen it with newly filled tanks when the water was cold before. Regardless... looking good :)

I know what your saying and i looked into this already before i started the tank. It is very common to get it in cold water tanks (55F) there for 1inch thick tank will be needed to prevent this. As for my temp (70F) i should not experience that prob.

Fish Finder

Co-Founder
Vendor
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
UPDATE: First off i would like to sent a shout out to Dom for all the help he was on Saturday. The tank is all set up and ready for the fish now. On Saturday Dom and i made the top's to keep the fish from jumping out and put the 250MH on the tank. Now all i have to do is wait for my fish. They should be here with in 2-3 weeks i hope. I can't wait any longer. Also thank you Dom for the frag. It will be fun to watch it grow. Of course here are some pic's :)

IMG_2634.jpg

IMG_2640.jpg

IMG_2636.jpg

IMG_2637.jpg

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Very nice! Wish I'd known - I was out in Copaigue much of Saturday. Can't wait to see those fish in there :)
Did you paint it black or is that just due to the lighting when you took the pics?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: