MatthewScars

Guns, Razors, Knives.
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Ive been meaning to do this for awhile. So here we go.

I started with a 55g freshwater, converted to 55g reef, then upgraded to 90g reef. Here are the highlights of the process.
<O:p</O:p
emptytank.jpg

This is the first setup. Undrilled 55g with a unfinished sump. The light is a regular Nova Extreme 48” (I upgraded later)

sumpcomplete2.jpg

Newly created sump.

fullview.jpg

First super basic reef build
FAST FORWARD to 90g UPGRADE

<O:p
Picture136.jpg

This is the 90 next to the existing 55g. (thanks WWoF for the tank).

Picture167.jpg

Awesome temp set up for the 55g until the 90g was completed. Kick ass plastic sump eh?

Picture188.jpg

The building of the stand.

Last edited:

MatthewScars

Guns, Razors, Knives.
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Picture048.jpg

Tank and stand in the final resting place.

Picture220.jpg

At this point I started to plan out the rock wall for the back of the tank. Using light diffuser, foam, sand, etc.

Picture142.jpg

This is the first rock formation I built – entitled “The bear”
<O:p></O:p>
Picture184.jpg

Once I started to complete the rock wall, I siliconed the pieces to the back of the tank. This was so it didn’t float.

Picture099.jpg

Rock wall complete and siliconed in.

Picture197.jpg

Toss in some other rocks and heaters and began the initial nitrogen cycle. I used a small live rock to kick it off.

<O:p></O:p>​

Picture211.jpg

Also done staining the stand. This is a pick of the sump. Looks the same today but more stuff added and messier J

Last edited:

MatthewScars

Guns, Razors, Knives.
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Picture090.jpg

Tank done cycling for a month. Upgraded to a Nova Extreme Pro (6x 54watt bulbs) (upgraded bulbs in later pic). Added some stuff. The tank is still pretty bare.

Picture129.jpg

Added netting after my Firefish and 6-Line jumped. This was in September right after the frag swap.
Picture244.jpg

Bought new Geismann bulbs.
Picture152.jpg

Second rock formation built – entitled “The Skull”

Picture162.jpg

Skull in the tank.
Untitled-2.jpg

The tank today.
Untitled-11.jpg

More pics later…

Last edited:

MatthewScars

Guns, Razors, Knives.
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
I would have done it slightly differently, but it came out great. I added a third rock peice to the right of the skull and added rubble rock to it looks like it started from the sand and builds. The sand bed is only 1" and its only really visible from the back.

I'll take some close up pics later today.

Wes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
love the rock wall. very natural looking. nice work.

can you go into detail a bit more on what type of foam, etc. you used and what you would do differently?

MatthewScars

Guns, Razors, Knives.
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
rock walls are an incredible amount of work, if the price is right, i will :)

Get eggcrate, get 12 cans ($7 a can) of this stuff, and A LOT of rock ($$$$$). you want the eggcate to bepacked with so much rock you dont even see it anymore. Then foam inbetween the cracks and pack the foam down a little when it starts to dry for a natural look. Buy some 2 part epoxy and paint it on the foam, then throw *MEDIUM* sized argogate on top of it. You will need to do 2 or 3 coats... so buy 2 of the expoxy packs ($20 each)

People on RC say coraline doesnt grown on the foam, but they are idiots. I have it all over the foam. This is the foam i used. Its black and better than greatstuff IMO. PS: Buy a 100ct box of non-latex gloves. The foam will literally rip your skin off if it dries and you try to pick it off.

Wes: I would have bought more rock in the beginning and I put a lot of peices flat against the wall. it looks 10x better if you angle the rock peices perpendicular to the wall. I also would have tried to get more fiji branches. Remember, your hammer is your friend for breaking the rock into custome perfectly fitting sizes.
black-waterfall-foam-dp-atl.gif

Last edited:

bigyankfan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
226   0   0
Matt,

Do you use the foam to adhere the eggcrate to the back wall and overflow box? Did you use only the foam to attach the rock to the back wall? I love how your tank came out and I am thinking of re-doing my tank using your great idea. Thx.

Eric

MatthewScars

Guns, Razors, Knives.
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
The wall is Siliconed to the back of the tank. I just put some on the back and hoped for the best. It worked perfectly actually. I can never remove it without a mess, but i dont plan on it so.

I would suggest plastic wire tying the bigger rocks to the eggcrate. But its not really needed, the foam is incredibly strong.

It's tough to give suggestions without you actually working with it for awhile. I would have added more rock and more 'shelf' peices for SPS. The whole thing took A LOT more rock than i ever thought.

Matt,

Do you use the foam to adhere the eggcrate to the back wall and overflow box? Did you use only the foam to attach the rock to the back wall? I love how your tank came out and I am thinking of re-doing my tank using your great idea. Thx.

Eric

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: