Pinkheine

No More Room :-(
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
R-- I added a bunch of life from our tank.. pods, some bristle worms, a snail... bunch of critters lol!!
Thanks Chef.
So far so good. I am just hoping that the algae cycles that seem inevitable will be short lived.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Syb, Craig you guys have done a wonderful job again!!! Not surprising since you seem to have a couple of reefing thumbs there.
Your making me want to keep the 20 and make it a mantis tank.lol Mind you I know nothing about them.LOL
Seriously, that tank looks great. Think I'll make another trip out to you once your done and the Mantis is in residence....

Pinkheine

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Awilda doors always open :) Thanks bunches. We've all been bitten by the reef bug that is for sure, lil' man included.

Coop-- there are so many cool Mantis shrimp. Just a shame we don't have room for one of each lol Looks like this tank will be residence to a Peacock as Craig and lil' man have their hearts set on a smasher after watching many youtube videos together. lol :splitspin

More pics once we get Mr/Ms Mantis. :eek: or when I finally transfer over some of my softies.

Pinkheine

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Be careful with that glass tank

I've read countless things about the Mantis from all different sources some of which have kept them for upwards of 20+ years. The instance of a tank being damaged by a Mantis Shrimp is more in the hype then it actually happening. It is advised to keep them in acrylic, this I do know....

Going to take our chances. :shhh: Be sure not to tell the Mantis that he's living in a glass house. ;)

CHEMCHEF

PERMANOOB
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
Your secret is safe with ME!

I've read countless things about the Mantis from all different sources some of which have kept them for upwards of 20+ years. The instance of a tank being damaged by a Mantis Shrimp is more in the hype then it actually happening. It is advised to keep them in acrylic, this I do know....

Going to take our chances. :shhh: Be sure not to tell the Mantis that he's living in a glass house. ;)

Pinkheine

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Don't mess with the Zohan...

we would like to introduce... Zohan the Peacock Mantis Shrimp... (took some quick shots, will get better ones but just happy I don't have to hear lil' man ask when the tank will get a mantis in it... so here he is)...

DSCF0290.jpg

DSCF0289.jpg

DSCF0288.jpg

Pinkheine

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Zohan is such a character. He comes out in the morning as if to say hello... or maybe he is just thinking where's the food?

He has constructed quite the cave for himself using the abundant supply of rubble rock we've made available for him. I'm actually surprised at how much of the day he spends just wandering around doing this or that. He eats fish pellets to live food the oddball. Very entertaining addition. To think I pushed off caving in on Craig getting one for over a year, oh well, he's here now.

Only snapped one pic that was not as blurry as the rest.. here he is...

Zohan...
DSC03105-1.jpg

Lil' man is looking forward to being able to go to the beach and bring home some treats for Zohan.. he was itching to go this weekend but it was just too windy. Anyone have ideas on good spots to go to in Suffolk that won't require a boat?

Pinkheine

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Well.... we have a Zohan that has molted. :) He was stratigically placing rocks over his hide shutting it in for several days. Two days ago he didn't come out for dinner. I got a bit worried, went out and got some live food for him... still nothing. Looked in the crevice I could see and there was a molt.

He still hasn't been back out as of yet like he was prior to him shedding. Anyone know how long after he will be active and comfy in his new skin?

Pinkheine

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
He eats daily. Most of which he takes on his own, via the snails.--which I don't add to the tank many at a time or often because he'll just kill them and store them clouding up the tank. Though he takes frozen krill, pellets, mysis, silverside, and the live crabs. Haven't gotten any grass shrimp though I'm sure he'd love them as well. I will skip tomorrow and most likely the next as this will take a day or so for him to complete.

The smaller crabs are one every few days. If we feed frozen krill or smaller foods I offer it daily. In between he'll pluck some snails (which we get from local collecting mainly or the LFS) He has thusfar eaten two of the three damsels. One has outwitted him all along.

He just went through a shed almost two weeks ago now. Scared the crap outta me that he didn't come out for days.

I really never found how often you are supposed to feed them but he wanders around searching for food... when I see that... I feed him. Such a character. How's yours doing?

Pinkheine

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
wow, that was a cool video, too bad it ended shortly as it got juicy

It was pretty much all over after that. The crab came out, Zohan scooped him up and away they went into the abyss... err... cave. :lol: He has been smashing like crazy ever since. I'm sure he's in there enjoying his feast. From the sounds of it he must be.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: