I built a very small tank all from scratch during my spring break about a month ago but I'm just getting the chance to put up pics now. I built everything, the tank, stand, sump and canopy. For the tank and sump I got acrylic from home depot and for the stand and canopy I used regular plywood that I painted with 3 coats of black oil based paint. The tank is 12"X8"X8" and the sump is 10"X"7"X7". I built an overflow for the tank that has a 1/2" pvc which goes down to the sump that is split into 2 sections. One section is where the water comes in and where I have a nano Current USA skimmer which has a pump that pushes 90gph and the skimmer is about 6.5" tall with a 2" diameter and it skims pretty well, I have a water bottle with a hole in it to drain the skimmate. The other section of the sump is filled with live rock that I had in the sump of my 75G. And the final section has a micro 200gph pump that is 1.75"X1.25"X1", tiny but pretty powerful. The pump goes into dual 3/8" return that are drilled into the sides of the tank. In the last section I also have an intake for a mini canister filter that has carbon and ceramic bio blocks and it return in the tank with the spray bar. The sump is illuminated by a 12v halogen which produces no heat due to it's voltage. The canopy houses a 70w MH and 18 blue LEDs, this was a full DIY lighting system. I built the canopy from plywood obviously and I had a huge reflector laying that I cut and fitted perfectly and also a DE socket that was the perfect size. I got the ballast and bulb from CustomKing, thanks for that! And I put two dual hard drive fans that i got on eBay for dirt cheap on the sides of the canopy and they're doing a fantastic job at keeping everything cool, temperature hasn't risen one bit. The tank has a total of about 10-20lbs of LR and 3 inch SB. As you can see I have a little inhabitant, my little baby hippo tang (NY Aquatics) which is adorable! Well here are pics so you can get an idea of what I'm talking about. Would love to get feedback on this. Thanks for visiting my thread, hope you enjoy!

FTS:
p3301006large.jpg

FTS w/ open sump:
p3300996large.jpg

FTS; Display only:
p3301005large.jpg

Left side (tank; overflow, canopy; dual air intake):
p3300990large.jpg

Right side (canopy; dual air output, sump side; mini canister filter):
p3300989large.jpg

Close up of the mini canister filter:
p3290987large.jpg

Full shot of sump:
p3290983large.jpg

Skimmer in action (first sump compartment):
p3301003large.jpg

Live rock compartment (second compartment), 12v halogen light and third (return) compartment on the far left back:
p3301004large.jpg

Obviously not my pics but that's the mini return pump, skimmer and the 12v power suppy I'm using for the sump light and dual cooling fans:
asmpump1.jpg

97_1.JPG

9201_1.JPG

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
interesting project!

since you already started to use LED, I would replace the MH with 27-36W 12,000K white LEDs-the cost of 3w led is $7.50 each and thus costing(within a hundred) than your MH. Sell the MH to fund the new project and you get a cooler tank that does not heat the water.

The halogen I had burns, so I suggest replace the halogen too. May be yours is a newer kind that's cooler.

Last edited:

Pinkheine

No More Room :-(
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
That is so..... itty bitty!! :)

Best of luck with it. If I didn't see the dimensions or the things around the tank to give an idea of scale/size.. I'd not have known how small it actually was. Most certainly one of the coolest itty bitty set ups.

Alex

Pretzel in Orange M&M
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
Here come the Tang police

I'm sure that the tang is only there to receive special care because of its size. either way great little setup.

By the way be care full with that canister filter, the hoses tend to crack. you can replace them with vinyl tubing from HD.

TOTAL AQUARIUMS

Chief of the Tang Police
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I would issue a summons for the tang if I didn't think it would detract from what you have done here lol. Definitely a cool and well thought out DIY nano. I second Alex about those filter hoses. Will take you 2 seconds to swap them.

Yes everybody, the tang is there because he is too tiny for my 75g right now, I'm waiting for him to grow an inch or two so he can fit in better with the other fish I have.

Aqua Pro Builder- Thanks for the offer on the LEDs but the setup I have now has no issues at all. The two fans make the canopy very cool, there's virtually no heat at all so I'll be sticking with the MH. As for the halogen, the fixture is drilled into the stand and it's not getting hot at all so I'll be keeping that too as I also have plenty of replacement bulbs. But again, thanks for the offer.

Pinkheine- Yes it's very very tiny lol those were my intensions, won't be trying coral in it any time soon though, the fish seems fine for now and he's cute enough, might just end up getting a few more of them to grow them if this one turns out well. I'll be updating pics as I change things. Also, my cleaner shrimp might be giving birth soon so I may try to grow them as well.

Alex- Yes the tang is in there because he's small and thanks for the advice I'll try to change them soon before they crack.

TOTAL AQUARIUMS- What would the penalty for this summons be? LOL but yeah I'm hoping he won't be in there too long, I want him in my 75

Well I hope I answered everyone and thanks again for all the kind regards toward my project. If anyone has questions about it I'll be glad to answer them and I can add pictures if anyone needs them. I'll probably be updating this thread as the tank changes and matures. Hope to hear from others.

Fortunato

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: