laling

Man Up Reef718
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I dosed with baking soda ,, i did the correct formula 2 cups and a total of a gallon of water , , i first baked the baking soda on a pan for an hour before mixing with freshwater ,,waited a while till it was cooled off, then i did a slow drip ,,,i was upstairs while it drip about 3/4 of the way threw the drip ..i came dwn to take a look ,,,my entire 72g was pure white ..i couldnt see a thing ..i did a immediate water change water -20g ..it clear up the water but left a white residue over my rocks ,glass, power heads , my corals and fish are ok ...but talk to me ..what the heck happened ...did i do some type of damage..talk to me ...

Last edited:

HD Fatboy?

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Baking soda is usually associated with PH....baking soda is a base and acid is a acid....U need to tell us why U did this to begin with!!!!!!!!

HD Fatboy?

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i first baked the baking soda on a pan for an hour before mixing with freshwater ,,waited a while till it was cooled off, then i did a slow drip
And I am sorry I have never heard of such a procedure in all my life....U need to tell us why U did this and where U got your info....

laling

Man Up Reef718
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Recipe #1, Part 2: The Alkalinity Part
Spread baking soda (594 grams or about 2 ? cups) on a baking tray and heat in an ordinary oven at 300?F for one hour to drive off water and carbon dioxide. Overheating is not a problem, either with higher temperatures or longer times. Dissolve the residual solid in enough water to make 1 gallon total. This dissolution may require a fair amount of mixing. Warming it speeds dissolution. This solution will contain about 1,900 meq/L of alkalinity (5,300 dKH). I prefer to use baked baking soda rather than washing soda in this recipe as baking soda from a grocery store is always food grade, while washing soda may not have the same purity requirements. Arm & Hammer brand is a fine choice. Be sure to NOT use baking powder. Baking powder is a different material that often has phosphate as a main ingredient.

Widdy

Vendor
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
I doubt it very much... I'm a newbie, but isn't ideal dKH 7-10? 1,900 meq/L of alkalinity (5,300 dKH) is astronomically high. Please refer to the calculator, punch in your water volume, current dKH and target dKH and it'll suggest how much to dose.

In the mean time, you should probably do a HUGE waterchange, if not already.

HD Fatboy?

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt it very much... I'm a newbie, but isn't ideal dKH 7-10? 1,900 meq/L of alkalinity (5,300 dKH) is astronomically high. Please refer to the calculator, punch in your water volume, current dKH and target dKH and it'll suggest how much to dose.

In the mean time, you should probably do a HUGE waterchange, if not already.
The question that needs to be answered yet is why......what test did U do to determine that you need to change your water chemistry???

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
What laling made was the Alk part in Randy Holmes Farley 2-part formula. A lot of people use this instead of B-Ionic or other 2-part formula.

You aren't suppose to use to whole gal mixture at once but add both parts to bring the Alk & Cal up to the correct levels. After you have reach the correct levels you're suppose to dose each part, in equal dose, each day to keep the Alk & Cal at the correct levels.

So before you start dosing you need to test your Alk & Cal levels and then slowly add enough formula to bring them up to the correct levels. Then you need to see how much Alk & Cal you're using each day and then add part 1 & 2 to keep the Alk & Cal at the correct level.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
First check you Alk & Cal levels, they're probably pretty high. If your corals and fish look ok then do a series of small water changes, try to suck up the white power off the rocks too. Don't do a large water change, as another big swing in the Alk could cause the tank to crash. In the end the tank will probably be ok. Going forward you need to test before you dose anything.

Last edited:

laling

Man Up Reef718
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
thank u marrone ,,,we all make mistakes ..or maybe its just me,,i thought thats what the site was for ..anyway fella thanks ...i maybe be new but my tank is correct , i just messed up a little ,so its called learning from mistakes... right ? ..thanks agaian marrone and everyone else ...

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: