Macropora

Zoa Echino Aficionado
Rating - 100%
725   0   0
Haven't update this thread in a while. Added some pics of the equipment area. I've been focusing on getting the parameter back up to snuff and upgrading my equipment. All 3 tanks share a common sump which amounts to about 450 gallons system volume. I had Jeff at MTC build me a taller reactor chamber so it's 8 inches higher than the standard reactor height. Also added a ATB M External skimmer which is rated to 480 gallon tank. It works well and what you see is about 4 days worth of skimmate :biggrin:.

I went for broke on Black Friday and will be getting a Bubble King 300 External Protein Skimmer by the end of the week :eek:. Eventually I want to increase the overall system volume up to 700+ gallons so getting the BK was the right thing to do.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• IMGP1305.jpg
    IMGP1305.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 201
  • IMGP1306.JPG
    IMGP1306.JPG
    174.1 KB · Views: 203
  • IMGP1307.JPG
    IMGP1307.JPG
    166.5 KB · Views: 200
  • IMGP1308.jpg
    IMGP1308.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 202

Macropora

Zoa Echino Aficionado
Rating - 100%
725   0   0
awesome setups. Those chalices look Delicious.

Thanks unfortunately I had alkalinity issues this past summer and it wiped out most of the chalices. The hardier ones are still around. I have a Hollywood Stunner that's a good 10 inches in diameter and has been with me for the past 3 years. Those are the type of chalices that'll make it if the water quality goes South.

Macropora

Zoa Echino Aficionado
Rating - 100%
725   0   0
whats up buddy, how are thing going with the tank?? I am having the same issue here with alk, I think it has to do with the change of weather, the heater in the house is kicking in more often now.

Tanks is doing much better and is more stable now. Chalices are starting to recover. I dropped the temperature one degree and it hasn't been turning on as much. Hook up a calcium reactor when you have a chance. It'll make a difference. Also had walls put up and now I have a fishroom :biggrin:! I started cutting up some zoas/paly and didn't forget about you. You'll get a nice variety. I'll drop them off when I visit my friend in SI next month.

Macropora

Zoa Echino Aficionado
Rating - 100%
725   0   0
I am in no rush, hmmm did the calcium reactor help in controlling the alk swings??

The calcium dissolves slowing in the calcium reactor thereby helping to stabilize the alkalinity and the calcium at the same time. The Pro Cal don't require a PH controller to shut off the solenoid. Basically, the solenoid is on all the time and it took several weeks to a month to dial in the setting for the 450 gallon system that I have. Small adjustments of the bubble counts and the drip rate attribute to keeping those two parameters very stable day and night.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: