Rborgia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Im gonna start my tank log... still working on the hardware, but I don't want to have to spend a whole day creating a log later. So here we go:

Equipment List:

58 Gallon Oceanic Reef Ready Tank: $186.00
Oceanic Stand: $230.00
20 Gallon All Glass Tank for Sump: $18.00
Glass Baffles for sump: $24.00
MRC MR1 Beckett Skimmer:$245.00
Air Water Ice Typhoon III - 5 Stage RO/DI:$199.00
2 - Mag 9.5 (Return /skimmer): $160.00
2 - Seio 820 (Circulation): $74.00
Magnets for Seio mounting mod: $22.00
Phosban 150 Reactor cylinder: $34.99
MJ1200 Powerhead (feed for Cylinder): $19.00
Sunlight TEK T5 (4 Bulb) fixture: $300.00 w/ stands and bulbs.
35"x17" Black cutting board: $62.00
Black Background: $5.95
Autotopoff.com Double Switch - Sump mount for water topoff: $60.00
Pacific Coast Imports CL280 Chiller: $325.00
CPR Refug - Large: $113.00
Mircale Mud 10# $51.00

Total:$

The Tank: 58 Gal Oceanic Reef Ready
tank1_767547.jpg

Hood Creation:
Tankhood1.jpg

Almost finished, just need to paint the door and install it:
hoodMH12Kact.jpg

The Filter:

I used a 20 Gal AG glass tank. I cut two 1/4" baffles using PVC. I know some people say not to do this, but im pretty confident they will stay in place. I used sandpaper on the glass where the baffles were going to be installed and I roughed up the PVC. I then used Appoxy to adhere the PVC to the tank, and covered it with Silicone.

The main part of the filter is a Life Reef SVS24 (24") Skimmer, it is powered by a mag 9.5 pump. My return line is powered by a second Mag 9.5 which is split with the primary going to the tank return and they other half of the split feeding a 25W Aqua UV. I am using a MJ 1200 to feed a Phosban Reactor (filled with Phosban Carbon).

Since the tank is relatively small, and I want SPS I do have the Life Reef LRC1 Calium Reactor, a 5 pount bottle and all necessary parts. I just can't decide if I want to save the Calcium Reactor for my 120 or use it on the 58.

I have the filter setup "dry" just to measure and cut what I need. Next is to glue the PVC. Hopefully my next update will be a "wet" run.

Thats all for now....

Rich

Last edited:

Rborgia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I just learned (rather recalled from the faq... yeah thats it!) that I cant post all my pictures at one time... so here are a few more:

Life Reef Skimmer: SVS24 powered by a Mag 9.5
LifereefSVS24.jpg

The Filter: 20 Gal AG Tank. w/ a Life Reef SVS24 skimmer and Mag 9.5 for return.
FILTER1.jpg

Installed a Reef Keeper RO/DI:
RODI_913696.jpg

Last edited:

Rborgia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Next steps are finalizing the plumbing and finding a way to install a Refug next to the sump to the right. I have a small space, but I should be able to squeeze in a small tank for make an acrylic refug to fit.

By the time I'm done and ready to order LR, I should be looking for a place to live... my wife is ready to kill me... Hey I said "It isnt cheap"....

Rborgia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
gil716 said:
Very nice! Is that a return manifold on top? Would love to see how you're gonna implement that. Thinking of upgrading to a 58/65 myself.

No, no manifold. I used the standard Oceanic Accessory kit, for incoming and outgoing water.

Additionally:
In additon to finalizing the plumbing, I also have a OM Super Squirt which I need to setup and install. I will be using a Gen X PCX70 HP (1500 ghp) for the CL. I need to research it a bit, but I would like to put the CL on a timer, I just need to find out what the masses believes is the best settings.

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
Looks good, great planning. Take your time and do it right so you won't have to mop the floor during the leak check.

Suggest you listen to a GenX PCX motor before you buy one. They can be loud to some people.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I have a quiet one 6000 CL on a timer, it's set to come on at 9am and shut off with the actinics about 11pm.

your system looks like it's really going to be great. can't wait to see it all set up :)

Rborgia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
House of Laughter said:
Updated pics?

Hosue

Nothing new yet... Last night I went out to the garage and finalized the plumbing... And like last time, I almost slept alone. Fortionately we had to go out for a few hours and when we returned the smell of the primer and glue went away.

So as of now I need to do a post cementing check and then test with water.

Rich

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Rborgia said:
Nothing new yet... Last night I went out to the garage and finalized the plumbing... And like last time, I almost slept alone. Fortionately we had to go out for a few hours and when we returned the smell of the primer and glue went away.

So as of now I need to do a post cementing check and then test with water.

Rich

next time you use the pvc cement set up a fan to blow the fumes away, it might help.

Rborgia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
cali_reef said:
Looks good, great planning. Take your time and do it right so you won't have to mop the floor during the leak check.

Suggest you listen to a GenX PCX motor before you buy one. They can be loud to some people.

Yeah, I decided to save the OM Super Squirt for my 120. 1" CL is kind of big on this little tank. With that... the Gen X PCX70 HP will be saved as a return pump for the 120 as initially planned. Now I need to decide what I want to use for water circulation. I am leaning towards two Seio 820s. I have to do some more research on them. The TAAM Inc. website is less then helpful.

I want something with a relatively small footprint, and the Seios are decent. My next issue if I go this route, will they be ok on some sort of a "Wave Maker"... something like the Red Sea Wave Master Pro.

Rich

Rborgia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Ok, Plumbing is complete... And I didn't have to sleep alone through the remainder of the process... fortionately Sat. was nice, so I worked outside to complete the cementing of the PVC. Of course I made one piece too short and had to run out and buy another Union, but that's ok.

I water tested the Bulkheads... no leaks... and I water tested the sump/skimmer plumbing... no leaks.

Jumped in on the Seio grup buy. I will use two 820s to circulate water, and will probably add a couple MJ1200 on a timer to alternate the current a little... I only wish the Seio could be used on a timer... I like the foot print and the fact there isn't a nozzel sticking out.

I order 1/2" black cutting board last night. I am still leaning towards going deep sand... but still want to protect the tank. When I get home tonight I will run around and try and find some window tint for the back of the tanks. Once I get myself together and organized I will start a list on the first post of exact costs... and try to keep a running tally of what I spent.

Rich

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: