jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
I realized that I never updated this thread. I took this tank down 1 1/2 years ago. I just had no time for it. I have been toying with the idea of setting up a new tank.....we'll see.
Can a mod move this to the Nano forum? The nano tank forum didn't exist when I started this thread.

james1990

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
i dont have time right now to go page to page but did you mention if your dosing at all? im setting up a 27 cube transferring all of my equip and livestock from a 9gal cube. something similar to what you did. I want my tank to look just like this so what tips could you pass along to me?

what supplements are you using? water changes? thanks! and seriously, the tank is one of my favorites.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
i dont have time right now to go page to page but did you mention if your dosing at all? im setting up a 27 cube transferring all of my equip and livestock from a 9gal cube. something similar to what you did. I want my tank to look just like this so what tips could you pass along to me?

what supplements are you using? water changes? thanks! and seriously, the tank is one of my favorites.

Thanks. Best advice that i can give you is to keep waste levels very low. This is beyond a salifert testkit reading 0 for phosphate and nitrate. They are useless at low levels.
In this tank I had a Deltec MCE 600 skimmer which did an ok job and i performed weekly 5-10gal water changes, sometimes bi-weekely. Dosing was b-ionic calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium. Go easy with the bio-load in a 27 gal tank. I wouldn't have more than 4 small fish unless you are prepared to do weekly 30% water changes and have a real skimmer (nano skimmers are garbage)

james1990

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Thanks good advice, I'm going to be using the eshopps PSK100 so I went over kill on the skimmer. I was recommended to get the red sea test kit for cal alk mag, that it was the most accurate. How exactly did you dose? What equipment.

Bioload will be my snowflake pair, mandarin, and maybe a wrasse or goby

For a coral lay out like the one you had, how did lay the rockwork? Tier'd flat selfs?

Thanks for letting me pick your brain

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
I dosed manually, usually breaking it up in a morning an evening dose. I'm not sure about the red sea testkits, I always used salifert for cal, alk, and mg. Nothing special with the rocks. I just wedged pieces of branch into base live rock to create a "bonsai" look.
It sounds like you're going all out on the new tank. i look forward to seeing it running.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: