ttsNYCreef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
My tank has been running for a little over 3 months and I am just getting around to posting it up here.

I had been out of the hobby for many years, a lot has changed since I started keeping reefs in the early 90s. A year ago I cobbled together an old 50g acrylic tank with a new skimmer and lighting intending to slowly build it to be an SPS tank. In September we moved back into the city and I could not give up having a reef even if the amount of available space for it was drastically reduced. My wife said the 50g was too big so I had to start planning for a new tank. I consulted with the guys at House of Fins in Greenwich, CT and we took a lot of time working out the details.

Tank info:
21" x 21" x 17" AGE rimless with three sides visible. Tank will be constructed of 3/8" starfire glass with a smoked gray back panel separating the tank from the external overflow/refugium. the external overflow will be 1/4" starfire.

The tank will sit in the stand so it is recessed 3" to hide the majority of the 3.5" sand bed and appear much shallower than it is..

21x21x17_fuge.jpg

09-0213_tank-in-room.jpg

Refugium
I wanted an external overflow for the tank to have as much interior space as possible. In discussing the tank design with Rob at HoF, it came up to put the refugium above the tank to have the feed from the refugium non-pumped and we came up with the combined overflow/refugium. Water will exit the tank through the overflow to the sump, and return to the tank with a certain percentage going back through the refugium.

21x21x17_fuge.jpg

tank_with_fuge.jpg

the last image shows the overflow with durso standpipe (the right hand section) and the refugium to the left of it.

Circulation
tanks circulation will be provided by an Iwaki 30. the return will be Tee'd to feed a substrate reactor and also feed the refugium. An Iwaki 20 will feed a closed loop through the bottom of the tank with and OM 2-way to provide alternating currents.

Skimmer
I am going with a Precision Marine RL125, their new needle wheel skimmer. I like the quality of PM stuff in general and have been happy with my current Bullet-1. There is not to much info out there on the performance of this skimmer, but I am looking forward to the savings in power consumed.

Lighting
final solution is still tbd. but looking to be the most interesting part of the build. currently evaluating some of the new LED fixtures from Europe and DIY LEDs.

of course it took a while to make any progress on the install even with a living room full of equipment. in the early summer I got the tank mostly up and running and moved everything over from the old 50.

some pictures of the progress.
front view
front.jpg

overflow/refugium
overflow.jpg

equipment
circ.jpg

sump and skimmer
sump-1.jpg

its tight in there with the closed loop and OM
c-loop.jpg

great flow
top-ripple.jpg

and early shot with the light installed. its a 250w hqi
added-light.jpg

all this was 3 months ago. next post will update current status and outline the first 3 months.... so more soon.

ttsNYCreef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
brief history continued

in July, I moved enough live sand from the old 50g to create a 3" deep sand bed and a threw in few pieces of rock, and run it for a couple weeks. After things settled in I moved all livestock and corals from the old tank, 1 fish and a lot of nice acros. they were doing well in the old tank with very minimal maintenance... the transfer went pretty easily and most corals seemed to survive.

This is what it looked like just after the move.
09-0712_front.jpg

with the summer heat and a non-central AC system in the apartment the temps were getting high in the afternoon. most days mid-to-high 80's. I had not planned on a chiller, even though Rob at HoF was insistent i needed one, i just didn't want something that didn't fit in the stand. (read: wife says no messy stuff like the last tank... this is in our living room). But I ordered a 1/10th hp chiller and it arrived at my office the next day. (thanks again to HoF service). all was great, but it was a friday and we were going away for the weekend... mistake to wait. we came back early on sunday and tank temp reached 92 degrees and things were looking BAD.

I did what I could to save things. all of the acros died, as did the one fish. 2 birdsnest, a tyree leather, an orange ricordia and some orange polyps survived, but none were looking good. I continued to maintain weekly water changes and regular tank maintenance, but nothing was added for 3 months.

Here is the chiller installed. It?s not as clean as I would want, but I plan to redo it and relocate the chiller to the other side of the couch that the tank is next to.
09-1019_chiller.jpg

A few weeks ago things were starting to look good. The birdsnest and tyree leather frags (I had to frag it to save it) were growing and had great polyp extension. And there was lots of new purple coralline growth. My enthusiasm for this was renewed?

I added a few monitpora frags first and they seemed to do well. I added a nice hairy (unknown) green acro frag and that is doing really well. Most of the frags are from great local guys I met on manhattan reefs and its inspired me to get more involved.

Here is what the tank looks like today.
09-1019_front.jpg

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
People usually put eggcrate when they run out of room on rocks, or spare frags broken off from the colonies to sell. Why do you have eggcrate in there already?

Also, hope that firefish won't jump, they're pretty notorious if they're scared to jump

Otherwise, looking good

ttsNYCreef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
thanks for the compliments.

ming, the frag rack is being used as for a bunch of pieces that broke off the birdsnests, and a few misc pieces i will try to trade when the grow out a bit. i prefer to keep them in the rack so i can control how much light and flow they get without having to stick my hands in the tank.

the chiller install is very temporary.

ttsNYCreef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
an untimely update. the tank about a week ago

wholetank.jpg

corals are starting to look good and show signs of growth.
redmonti.jpg

purplerimmonti.jpg

both of these corals are from fellow MR reefer emmanuel.

and here is the current tanks spec for those of you who are interested.

AGE 21”x21”x17” 3/8” starfire tank with PVC bottom and acrylic external overflow/refugium
custom Precision Marine sump 12”x14”x20” with single 4” sock holder
Precision Marine RL125 skimmer
Precision Marine SR35P substrate reactor with phosphate remover tee’d off main return
Iwaki 30rlt main circulation pump returns to tank and refugium
Iwaki 20rlt closed loop pump with an Ocean Motions Squirt modified to use 2 outlets
Ultralife ATO switch controlling a tom’s aquatic pump for make-up water
Giesemann NOVA 250w hqi MH with 20k ushio lamp
Ultralife titanium grounding probe

Spectrapure Litermeter III dosing pump. currently dosing balling light (more on this in my next update)

4” 100micron filter sock changed weekly (or sooner if needed)
Carbon bag in sump changed every couple of months

I have a Neptune Systems Apex controller on order. I will use this to monitor tank conditions and control pumps and lighting.

I plan to build a DIY LED light to light the tank. I have been thinking that LED is the way to go since I started having high heat issues, and I visited fellow MR member emmanuel and was absolutely amazed by his setup. With the Apex controllers ability to dim 4 separate ballasts and the intensity of LED I think this will make and unbelievable lighting setup.

D1J8Z

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
nice tank. Might want to invest in some peppermint shrimp to help with the aptasia tho. It's best to nip that problem earlier before its a huge problem

grknyer

Official Lurker
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
I had a bunch of peppermint shrimp at one point. they didn't touch the aiptasia and I kept finding them in the sump. anyone have any experience with RSM aiptasia-x?
I'm sure that stuff will work. Joes juice works too.I used Blue Life Aiptasia Control and if you can believe it ic gel. I encased any I found after I ran out of the Aiptasia control and have no aiptasia in my tank anymore:D

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: