120.5 KB · Views: 840
  • DSC00208.JPG
    DSC00208.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 839

Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
220 gallons you will most likely need a bigger pump somewhere in the neibor hood of 5500gph and that might not be enough based on the head.. But I thought I suggested this already...:scratch: Best of luck with the build..

ricwilli

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Before changing out the pump. Make sure your sump can handle all that water coming from the tank. I have a Reeflo Hammerhead rated 5000+GPH and it is way to much. I had to dial it down a lot. My sump is over 25' away from the tank. The pump is pushing water threw a 3" manifold that decreases to a 1.5" pvc pipe to go to the tank. My 65 gallon sump could not handle all of the water coming from the tank. I am now thinking of buying a Reeflo Barracuda which pushes 4000gph. I still think this pump will be to much. I also prefer a slow flow through the sump so that the skimmer can have a chance to skim most of the water. JMO

JARRETT SHARK

Addicted to coral
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Well increasing the pipe size and just a lttle more flow
I guess I need a bigger pump
Ricwill how do you like the hammerhead pump
Bob what do I do if I can't go behind th tank? Will 1inch from the
pump all the way to tank then go to 3/4.work on a bigiger pump if I buy new one. Just don't want to waiste more money

Last edited:

Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
I'm not saying increase the pipe size from the return that won't do anything.. I'm simply trying to help you have enough water movement and turbulance simplified.. If you use both of the holes in the tank as drains that would give you 1 1/2" more drain.. Then you will be able to get a pump that can do hammerhead gph.. A 65 gallon sump might be too small for a 220.. Where will you fuge and skimeer empty without having micro bubble problems.. When you do a big display tank a problem that I watch happen with a lot of peoples tanks here is they don't get a big enough sump..
A big enough sump allows you to simplify the system, 1Refugium in the sump, 2skimmer can also empty into the same filter sock as one of the drains, 3enough water turning over so that you don't need a whole 4bunch of 5powerheads, 6if the power where to go out the little sump might over flow unless you keep the water level so low that microbubbles are always a problem..
If you can, try what I'm saying you'll be happier in the long run and so will your fish..

Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
Powerheads are for small tanks that can't handle the turbulance of a big pump.. When you get a big dog you can't feed it puppy chow and expect to get good results..
A big pump and some locline if your new to plumbing or elaboratly plan out plumbing and aquascape and use eductors on the ends of the returns..

Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
Before changing out the pump. Make sure your sump can handle all that water coming from the tank. I have a Reeflo Hammerhead rated 5000+GPH and it is way to much. I had to dial it down a lot. My sump is over 25' away from the tank. The pump is pushing water threw a 3" manifold that decreases to a 1.5" pvc pipe to go to the tank. My 65 gallon sump could not handle all of the water coming from the tank. I am now thinking of buying a Reeflo Barracuda which pushes 4000gph. I still think this pump will be to much. I also prefer a slow flow through the sump so that the skimmer can have a chance to skim most of the water. JMO

With a sump 25' away you really felt like a 65 gallon sump would be adequate.. The drains turbulance alone would have water all over the place when you take your filter socks off.. If your going to go with a pump this size the last thing you want to have to do is turn it down.. That's like buying a super surround sound for a public library..

JARRETT SHARK

Addicted to coral
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
bob thanks for the help.

My 1) question to you is if I change the filters socks and have micro bubbels for a minute or two is it going to be a problem?
2) If i would go with a bigger pump would it be a waiste to reduce from a 2''at pump to 1'' in basement to 3/4 at tank. would I lose alot of flow this way? I have a 5500 gal pump from my pond that I could use for a test but its not a head pressuure pump, also so might not see the effects cause of this.

My problem is that it might be hard to go behind the tank like you said at this point with bigger returns because the tank is agaist the wall.

My sump is only 5 feet away from the tank and 10' in height I have to go. I have ok flow now with the pan world pump but was looking for alot more in case I had dead spots in the tank. my sump.

I could always add a sump if I had to. Also the skimmer is going to discharge in a filter sock.

What size fitting is the hammerhead pump ?

qy7400

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
The Hammerhead is 1 1/2 on both sides.

Powerheads are for small tanks that can't handle the turbulance of a big pump.. When you get a big dog you can't feed it puppy chow and expect to get good results..
A big pump and some locline if your new to plumbing or elaboratly plan out plumbing and aquascape and use eductors on the ends of the returns..

I'm assuming this is a joke. There are certainly enough proper tank builds of well over the 200 gallon mark that use power heads, unless you consider Tunze and Vortechs something else. The link earlier is a 1200 using 8 Vortechs. Large pumps cannot match the GPH a pair of normal Tunze's can do and at 1/10th the electric. From a DR standpoint I can power a single Tunze/Vortech for hours on a small battery, to do the same with a Hammerhead would require a room of batteries.

Just my opinion but the old ways of thinking large single pumps are wrong, I can protect my system from power/pump/heater failures a lot easier going modular. Why would we not build our systems without taking this into account?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: