Rating - 100%
1   0   0
okay i really need some adviced my tank nitrate was a little high so i did a 25% water change i rinse that stuff inside my canister filter i know that canisters produce alot of nitrate but i didnt know until i bought the filter anyways i have a live rock that had a mushroom and it died so i dont think my water is in great condition even though my clown fishes havent died,i want to know what should i add to my water for my calcium,nitrate,nitrite, can be good enough for my mushrooms and future corals dont die on me. if someone can give me a weekly plan on what should i buy to add to my water to make the water condition good that would be very helpful thanks

drunktank

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
could use some info like ur tank set up and lights
past readings. Canister filters r fine for fish only tanks, if u plan on keeping corals u have to watch ur levels and make sure u have proper lighting.

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
As Albert stated, your lack of lighting contributed to the coral's demise. The elevated levels of nitrate don't help either. Don't confuse "alive fish" with good water quality. Clowns and damsels are hardier than most marine fish.

If you're looking to add coral, you'll need major upgrade in the lighting department, more live rock AND/OR a more efficient skimmer.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
PrettyBoy said:
tap water

Using tap water is not recommended for keeping coral.

It is full of stuff that you do not want in a reef tank.

using a ro/di (Reverse Osmosis/Deionization) filter is the best way to keep your water quality high enough to keep coral and fish happy.

Quang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
jhale said:
Using tap water is not recommended for keeping coral.

It is full of stuff that you do not want in a reef tank.

using a ro/di (Reverse Osmosis/Deionization) filter is the best way to keep your water quality high enough to keep coral and fish happy.
What Jhale say is true....I think the stock water is one of the most important about the saltwater aquarium...if not the most important. I'm still a beginner but I know that much. There are some good deals on ebay...try investing in one since you have a decent size tank. Look under my profile for posts I've started...one of them has links to ebay ro/di units. good luck

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: