Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
As many of you know, I lost most of my SPS colonies which had grown out from 1" frags to the size of dinner plates due to two blackouts.

Long story short, after almost two years I was finally able to dedicate the time a resources to getting my tank back in decent shape.

Tim of Tim's Aquatics was a great help. Tonight we were able to clean the back glass (which had developed a thick mat of crud), removed all of the dead coral skeletons and made a major water change. The corals I had were doing well, but the tank looked depressing.

As of right now, it looks pretty good. I need to replace the selenoid (sp?) for my calcium reactor and I need to change my circulating returns, but these are pretty minor things considering.

Now I am ready for corals! I learned patience, so I have several frags and will be adding a few more over the next two weeks. When the lights turn on tomorrow I will take a few photos. Nothing to write home about just yet, but I want to show the progress over the next six months.

Alfred

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Some depressing pictures. This is what my tank currently looks like. I still have some work to do on it, but the back glass is clean, most of the dead coral skeletons have been removed (with the exception of 2) and it is pretty much ready to be re-scaped.

Photos taken with my cellular, couldnt get my digital camera battery to charge!

Attachments

• wholetank.jpg
    wholetank.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 133
  • tanka.jpg
    tanka.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 133
  • tankb.jpg
    tankb.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 132
  • tankc.jpg
    tankc.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 132

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Cool Alfredo - you definitely have a lot to work with there..that carpet is HUGE! Nice to have you back & looking forward to following your thread as you rebuild.

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
The two RBTA's are actually bigger, the lights had just come on, so they had not completely opened up.

As soon as I get a chance I will post so photos of what my tank looked like before the blackouts...

Alfred
Alfred

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Alfred, I am so sorry to see these pics as I for one know what a beautiful reef you had!
But one thing I am sure of is that you will have it looking even better then before.;)
Having 2 babies am sure took a lot of your time away from the tank, not to mention the blackouts.
I have to say you are a trooper!!! Others would have thrown in the towel.
I applaude you my friend!

BTW, it is sooooooooooooo good to see you back with us.:hug:

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Thanks. Yeah, between the babies, a tough economy and blackouts (I NEVER imagined that we would have so many blackouts in New York!) the last few years have been hectic.

But I needed something to distract me a bit and to help with the stress levels. :)

Alfred

Long-Island-Mike

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Hi Alfredo,

I am very sorry to hear about your loss. I am new to this community and didn't get to read or see pictures of your tank in the past, I am sure it was wonderful. I am very much looking forward to seeing pictures and reading on your tanks progress.

Kind Regards
Li Mike

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Here is a picture of my tank during a period that it was starting to do well. About three months after this picture the tank was REALLY thriving and the growth was phenominal. I had also added a few more acro frags which had grown out of some intense blues... I will try to find pictures.

Attachments

• oldtank.jpg
    oldtank.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 85
  • oldtank2.jpg
    oldtank2.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 89

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: