Tarazed

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm presently running a 120 gallon softie reef and had to have a Blue Face angel;) a few weeks ago. So now the hunt begins for a bigger home for the new fish. Since my 40th is a few weeks away and I've begun plotting ;) I'm going to call this my Mid-Life Crisis upgrade.

I built a mock 210 gallon tank out of 2x3 to see if I will fit down the stairs and into my basement. Its a real tight squeeze, but, it will make it. It looks like a 220 Perfecto should also make it, but, thats as big as it gets.

I've done a little homework on the two brands and it appears that the perfecto would have beveled edges (I confirmed via email after seeing a tank). However, it looks like the Perfecto only comes with the corner overflows and they appear to take up more tank space. My 120 is an AGA RR and I have been happy with the tank. Does anyone have any preference in RR 210 or 220 tanks. Perfecto or AGA?

I will also be temporarily using the 4' 6 bulb T5s I have and will probably stay with T5s for a while. I am considering using 2 40 gallon breeders as a sump/fuge, with 2 internal return pumps and a connecting piece of pipe between. I will have one of the sumps extend beyond the end of the tank to allow for taller protein skimmers and easier access. As of now I'm going to keep running a 180 Euroreef and could temporarily add a Remora Pro.

I have all the extra sand I'll need and will probably use the rock I have now ~130 pounds. I want an open aquascape. I hate the wall of rock look. Plus the Blue Face likes caves.

Any thoughts?

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
sump/fuge won't be large enough for a 220 IMO.

130lbs of rock will definitely give it the fish only look, but that might be a nice look if pillared in the center or off to the side with some corals on it.

skimmer is undersized even if you add a remora. watr volume like that required a more powerful skimmer IMO

Sounds like a fun project

House

mr_X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you are considering buying your "last" tank, i would think on the size more. these 210's and 240's are very deep top to bottom. not good for a reef IMO/E.
i would suggest getting a tank made that is alot shallower, and deeper front to back. definitely not deeper top to bottom than 25". i would say less than that even.
remember, the deeper it is, the stronger light you will need to penetrate all that water, and the harder it will be to reach the bottom.

i would go with something 36" front to back. i had a 30" front to back tank recently, and i wished i would have made it 36". it sounds like alot, but you'll love it once you own it.

i would take my time and purchase the right equipment for it as well.

Tarazed

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Mr x- I don't think I can get anything larger down the stairs. I'm also prohibited by cost. I was considering a 180 gallon, but like the look of the 210/220 height. A 180 is a great tank though. This may be my last tank in the basement, but one never knows.

House- I will upgrade the skimmer, but because of $ I have to take it one step at a time. What would you suggest for a sump? I have a 125 gallon cichlid tank I could use, but I think its too tall to use under the stand I'll build. I'm using a 40 breeder with my 120 and its perfect. I thought I could just add a second. and move some of the partitions.

jrobbins

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
95   0   0
I would wait a bit until you can afford all the equipment you are going to need before pulling the trigger on a tank that big. also keep in mind that the operating costs of a tank that large will be significantly more than the 120. Everything from the heaters, to the lights, to the salt/carbon/gfo will cost a bunch more. if the money is tight right now it really might make sense to wait.

think of it like a yacht. most people can probably afford to buy the damn thing, but the upkeep is what kills ya...

Tarazed

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I anticipate that the costs of salt and media will double. As will electricity to heat the water etc. My thought was that the only initial change will be the volume of water, not bioload, I thought I would be safe with my present equipment for a few months, no?

By summer, I'll upgrade the lights and then the skimmer. By not increasing the bioload and only increasing the volume of water I though I'd be ok. I only plan to keep softies and larger fish. It will never become an sps tank. Too much for my wallet and not my interest. I'm somewhere between a mixed reef and a FOWLR. If I ever wanted to go sps the 120 would best fit the bill. I am getting out of another hobby so that will help with the cost and I've had tanks since 1995 so I know I'm in for the long haul.

I appreciate the analogy with the boat as I have one and that is a true money pit, although its no yacht. Initially I was going to get a 180 but I think the 210/220 is worth the extra effort am I mistaken?

I want a 6' tank, but i'm limited by the door width at the top of the basement stairs, its less than 30". Considering cost, space and ease of installation my best bets are a 180 or a 210. The 180 maybe my answer but I can't see the extra 30 gallons of water making a huge difference in expense or equipment. I'm not going to need intense lighting and thats the one area that the two tanks will differ.

Thanks for all the feedback!

Tarazed

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Update

I've made a lot of progress in the past few weeks/months. Here are some pics. I apologize as the pictures were taken with a phone because we STILL can't find our camera.

I made a model of the tank to make sure it would fit. In true "geeknees" I used the pythagorean theorem to figure out the maximum height required to stand and "drop" the tank into position. I also needed to cut several joists with a sawsall to get the height necessary. This was the largest tank I could fit.

IMG_0048.jpg

Here are some pictures after I took the wall down in the basement below the stairs.

IMG_0036.jpg

IMG_0039.jpg

IMG_0037.jpg

Here is the beginning of the stand. Totally over-kill 2- 2"x6" sandwiched with 1/2 plywood. 4"x4"s were used for the legs.

IMG_0045.jpg

IMG_0046.jpg

Skipped a few steps here but the girls had to go for a "swim"

IMG_0052.jpg

IMG_0056.jpg

IMG_0060.jpg

Adding some RO water and Marco Rock.

IMG_0059.jpg

IMG_0064.jpg

And pictures of things "almost" done.

IMG_0078.jpg

IMG_0079.jpg

IMG_0081.jpg

IMG_0091.jpg

Getting closer:

IMG_0087.jpg

Tarazed

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Update Continued

I think I failed to mention, its a 220 Perfecto. I also didn't wait for the summer to upgrade the lights and skimmer. I picked up used 250 metal halides (x3) and a bought a new SWC 300A (MSX) with an askoll 1500 on it. I also picked up 2 x 3' VHO Super Actinics. I may jump to 6' bulbs, but for now I'm just looking for a dusk/dawn effect. I haven't added any live stock to the tank since the 2-10-10 transfer from the 120, not even a snail. No measurable cycle, except for 5-10 ppm of nitrate, which I never had in the original 120. I would like the nitrates to return to 0 before adding anything. All other values are good, phosphate immeasurable, pH 8.2, dKH 9, Ca 420, 1.026, Mg 1360 etc

IMG_0097.jpg

IMG_0096.jpg

IMG_0095.jpg

Tarazed

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
aquascape

Thanks Andy, and to all those that posted. I appreciate it!!

I was trying to avoid the "wall of rocks" look. But I only have a little over 200 pounds of rock in the tank.

Now I just need to add some corals ;) Maybe some anthias ;)

Tarazed

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks Javier! As you can see in the pic I'm using the 660 to drive 2 3' bulbs. I got it up and running that day ;)

Thanks again

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: