wonderballz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
I haven't priced anything out yet, just wanted to brainstorm and see what you guys think the difference would be.

I have an RR 40G breeder and a 10G sump right now. I was thinking of picking up a used 20 or 30G and making into a sump myself.

I know a professionally made sump would be best, but how much do you guys think it would cost to have one made?

Thanks

kkaz642

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Make it your self! Cheep and really not that hard. You need a saw, plexi glass, and some fish safe silicone. I made my refugum now I'm
Going to pull out my sump and replace it with a nother tank. If you can find a used tank pefecte because no1 really ever sees it, the plexi glass some places will even cut for you for free depending on the cuts. And the silicone is ez just use something to space the baffles out.

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

wonderballz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Make it your self! Cheep and really not that hard. You need a saw, plexi glass, and some fish safe silicone. I made my refugum now I'm
Going to pull out my sump and replace it with a nother tank. If you can find a used tank pefecte because no1 really ever sees it, the plexi glass some places will even cut for you for free depending on the cuts. And the silicone is ez just use something to space the baffles out.

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

Thanks kkaz. That's what I was thinking. Gotta keep my eye open for a used 20 or 30G.

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
If your going to use a 20 or 30 gallon I would go new. You can get them cheap enough. Only reason I say new over used is if its your first time building a sump- silicone needs a pretty much perfectly clean and dry surface to adhere correctly. You should make your first one as easy on you as you can, youll see when you are siliconing between the bubble trap baffles that are only an inch and a half apart.:spin: For a few bucks more you can save yourself alot of cleaning.

Last edited:

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Plan ahead and tape off between the baffles. Give yourself 1/8th inch for silicone adhesion. Pull the tape off and it looks like you know what you were doing.

You can also find used sumps in here and safe yourself all that hassle. I found a 30g sump with 3 sections for $30.

wonderballz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Sound advice Jimmy. I will defi take a look at tank prices. I remember my 10G sucking a bunch of money out of my pocket, and now that I want to do things as right as possible, my pockets are getting strained again. I knew I should have set the tank up before my baby was born.

ryangrieder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
If your going to use a 20 or 30 gallon I would go new. You can get them cheap enough. Only reason I say new over used is if its your first time building a sump- silicone needs a pretty much perfectly clean and dry surface to adhere correctly. You should make your first one as easy on you as you can, youll see when you are siliconing between the bubble trap baffles that are only and inch and a half apart.:spin: For a few bucks more you can save yourself alot of cleaning.

i completely agree.

do it yourself! so simple. i have build about 15 sumps and around 7 or 8 external refugiums for myself and friends. i have made them for tanks starting at a 29 up to my buddies 150. its cheap, simple, and effective. sumps/wet drys are expencive. IMO (if you feel i say something wrong then sorry but i have done it multible times and always turned out amazing) all you need

is a tank (NEW)
measure out your plexi (remember its inside measurments, usually its 1/4 less. for instance if the width is 12 inches, get 11 3/4. it all depends on how thick of glass it is)
All Glass Aquarium sells silicone, if you cant find it a local hardware store sells one that says aquarium safe and has a fish picture drawn on it. if you cant find that then order it online, dont just assume if it says its waterproof or something its ok, its not.
next is just to build it. first section a peice of plexi 3/4 way up and around 5-6 inches wide, this is where your water flows into, then if you want a fuge make room for your fuge. that i dont want to say on size because its your choice, if you dont have a big enough tank that you cant fit it then make room and put your skimmer and some rock there. then a bubble catcher where is really 3 peices of plexi. a peice of plexi going up like the first one i said but a TINY bit shorter, then another that is lifted off the bottom, not touching the bottom of the tank around an inch or 2 up yet taller then the first peice so its forced to go strait down, then another peice like the first but again a bit smaller. then your pump and your good to go. if you want to make a row for sponge or whatever do it right after the bubble catcher or right after the first plexi in the begining of the tank. bam, your done. here is a few pics of the last one i made. its old and bag angled pics but hopefully it may help.

sump.jpg

sump2.jpg

ALSO!!!!! DRAW IT ALL OUT FIRST!!! you may laugh but this is what i do before i build my set ups. this pic i drew up when i was bored and its really gay but its the though that counts!!! hahaha this is for my friends tank im doing next week, its a 65g with a 20 or 30g sump.
tankdrawing.jpg

bacalao

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I would wouldn't waster my time unless you actually like building things. New sump aren't 2 expensive and there is always someone selling a used sump that you can buy for cheap.

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Just my 5 cents here and will get it out quickly- I dont see how a piece of equipment taylormade to your system for your preferences to fit in the spot you need it to fit in can be a waste but if your not handy at all(as in never handled a tool in your life) then buy someone elses used- just my input and am ready to get yelled at--- good luck with it either way that you choose to go.

wonderballz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Thanks. I like DIY type stuff. I do most if not all work on my car, I do most repairs at home, and i like building things. I will be buying wood to build a stand, so building the sump out of an existing tank should be fun.

So some of the most important points are to use fish safe silicone and to use a brand new tank.

Thanks for the replies guys. I will keep both in mind. Unfortunately, i am still getting my gear together, so the tank won't be seeing water for a bit.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: