PON

JEDI KNIGHT
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Name isn't anything specific just liked the kool name.

Let me start by Finally introducing myself formally, My name is PON I live in Jackson Heights. I am a tattooer at Tattoo Seen in the Bronx. When I am not tattooing I do free lance graphic designing but more notably I design and create Designer/Urban Toys for Kidrobot and others.

I have been lurking around the swf sites for over 2 months and finally got my tank up and running last week and am taking it sllllloooooooooooooow. I am in the process of adding my rock and just need a bit more. I am running a RSM 250 stock with 2 koralia 4s. I have been running the tank for 5 or 6 days now. My salt levels are 1.026 but thats all i know for now cause im not rushing to test anything.

I love the tank, but only have one issue. The tank is running at 83-87 degrees. I really am not looking forward to buying a chiller but now i feel like its gonna happen. With in the next few months i plan on upgrading my lights to a custom led fixture but till then i cant let the tank run that hot. Anyone have any suggestions on what kind of chiller to run or what i should be looking for? I would ask a lsf but I rather ask impartial people first. I hope you are all not sick of me already just from reading this and i thank you guys ahead of time.

p.s I am a big fan of bartering tattos for equipment and stuff like that so when I'm ready for frags and such maybe we can make some deals lol

Attachments

• rsm250.jpg
    rsm250.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 488
Last edited:

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
i have the current 1/10th hp chiller and love it have controller for heater s well and has kept my 80g system at a steady 77 degree's and once ur ready for corals lmk i am a tat fiend

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Hi there Pon, welcome to MR :)

The most obvious suggestion for now would be to turn off the lights, they shouldn't be on while cycling the tank anyway.

Better is you did sart running some tests for ammonia, nitrite & notrate to know for sure where you are in your cycle.

If you used all 'base' rock for set up, you will want to be adding something in there for the tank to cycle with - as in something with life on it, or that will create the bacteria you need. A live rock will help..and some flake food will do every couple of days.
Don't forget bacteria needs to eat to survive! :)

Best of luck with the new set up and I'd bet you will find many folks on here to trade tatoos for frags..not me tho! lol

oh yeah..regarding a chiller - you'll be looking somewhere in the 1/10th range size

PON

JEDI KNIGHT
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
hey im using live sand and all cured live rock (aprox 110lbs so far more pending) im also dosing with this thing my lsf sold me to help speed the process (im at work so i dont have the name in front of me right now) im using instant ocean reef crystal salt. i was gonna wait till tomorrow to check my levels cause i dont wanna feel like im rushing. i hope i have all the right tests

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Hey PON I would look up some of the vendors on here and ask them over the phone they can give you the ins and outs about each ones and can suggest which way you go in the terms of what size one you need, but leave the decision up to you to which ones you liked the best then once narrowed down to a few go with the one you can get the best deal on. Just My Opinion. Good luck with the RSM-- Love the rockwork by the way

AND welcome to MR!

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
hey im using live sand and all cured live rock (aprox 110lbs so far more pending) im also dosing with this thing my lsf sold me to help speed the process (im at work so i dont have the name in front of me right now) im using instant ocean reef crystal salt. i was gonna wait till tomorrow to check my levels cause i dont wanna feel like im rushing. i hope i have all the right tests

Cool :)
It's probably either 'Cycle' or Biospira, either is fine though it won't save you much time..just remember it needs to eat too :)

Do list what test kits you have and the brand names when you get a chance.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
ive never heard of feeding the bacteria, will any flake food do?
yup, only add very small amounts.
Remember - you need the bacteria to A- live, B- multiply. It can't do either without food. With the addition of food, you will have more bacteria which you will need as you add a clean up crew and fish.

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
You can also if you like instead of the flake, I added 1 raw cocktail shrimp- you can buy it at a seafood counter of the grocery store, wash it off in RO water and put it in the tank theyll eat it away. Worked well for me- I left mine in until it was gone. The tank will stink a bit until after the shrimp is gone then after a water change no more smell.---Also make sure you deshell it.

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
Looking at your photo it appears that you have one of those Red Sea max tanks. Is the fan working? I had to prop open the hood for a while on mine finally added another fan and a more efficient powerhead for the return. Less watts=less heat. Good Luck with the tank. BTW your lfs is probably Coral AQ. I grew up in JH my father is still in Corona. Product and price there ain't what they used to be since Paul left.

PON

JEDI KNIGHT
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hello,
Looking at your photo it appears that you have one of those Red Sea max tanks. Is the fan working? I had to prop open the hood for a while on mine finally added another fan and a more efficient powerhead for the return. Less watts=less heat. Good Luck with the tank. BTW your lfs is probably Coral AQ. I grew up in JH my father is still in Corona. Product and price there ain't what they used to be since Paul left.

The fans are all working great, the rsm 250 has a total of 3 fans one pulls cool air into the hood and the other draws out air from the hood, and the 3rd is at water level almost. my house is always warm like 72 so my house heats never on. i know im gonna have to get a chiller, but they are soooooo expensive especially when you shell out nearly 2gs to start. and also my LFS is Berkel Marine on ditmars blvd.

you can also try trimming back some of the plastic grill in front of the fan intake. That will allow it to pull in more air

I think that even with all that its not gonna drop nearly 10 degrees.

Master Shake

captain of tying knots
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
looking for a right shoulder tattoo il help u out in trade for a tattoo, but il help any way. you can turn the lights off for the first little bit of a ccle. After that it helps grow algea to help speed things up. There has to be a reason why your tank is overheating. the lights on a max are not that hot to over heat it so it has to be by a window or a heater or something like that. Try keeping the top open that will help let excess heat out but will also cause the water to evaporate faster. You can try getting a fan and hooking it up to help cool it off.

PON

JEDI KNIGHT
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
my house is 69 degrees currently and when i woke up this morning the tank was 89 degrees and the lights have been off. luckly i have a lil time before live stock goes intot he tank but it the tank too hot for the proper bacteria to grow? or does it not matter

PON

JEDI KNIGHT
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
so i just ran my tests, i dunno if im running all the ones i should but im just following what people have told me.

Temp - 89.7 (JEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZ)
Salt - 1.0255
-----------------------
Calcium - 450ppm
Phosphate - 0
nitrate - around 4 ( i think i didnt like the test and may get a new one)
nitrite - .25
ammonia - between 0 and .25
-----------------------

ammonia and nitrite test kits are API brand and the rest are red sea max brand, ill be honest im thinking of replacing all the rsm kits with api kits cause i feel like i struggled through all the rsm tests and was just fine with the API brand.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: