kaOzGrUnT

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
This is a 90 Gal AGA
Here is the diagram of where I'm thinking of drilling the holes in the tank, (as well to why I am drilling them)
I will have a closed loop on a Mag Drive 9.5 using the 1" SCWD to alternate flow.
At the end of the each return from the sump I will place PENDUCTORS to increase flow by 5. (no SCWD on this system)

My question is: are the holes placed correctly or where should they be??
I will start to drill on Saturday.

Please I am open to any suggestions.

Thank you.

Attachments

• Penductors.jpg
    Penductors.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 118
  • SCWD.jpg
    SCWD.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 115
  • Holes.JPG
    Holes.JPG
    29.7 KB · Views: 118

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
IMO, diagram looks good...I would suggest that penductors be 'aim-able' in tank (not just straight at front glass), on my new tank they are at 45* angle, crisscrossing the tank. I believe penductors are more like 3X flow and eductors are 4-5X. btw...is drain to closed loop, easy to get to, if you need to clean it?

Last edited:

reseter5

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
i was a glazier for 12 years.. i am sure you know how to drill glass.. so have fun.. and keep it lubed!!! i used to use water and antifreeze mix.. the antifreeze acted as a lube.. slow and steady ... and ream the holes a little so the bit doesnt get jammed and break the glass..

Master Shake

captain of tying knots
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
watch out for tempered glass, if it is a old tank all sides are tempered. If newer check out the compnies policies and regulations on the standard of the glass. There are special drills to be used on tempered glass and usually you want to leave that drilling to the experts

kaOzGrUnT

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
IMO, diagram looks good...I would suggest that penductors be 'aim-able' in tank (not just straight at front glass), on my new tank they are at 45* angle, crisscrossing the tank. I believe penductors are more like 3X flow and eductors are 4-5X. btw...is drain to closed loop, easy to get to, if you need to clean it?

Yes sir, I actually got the idea of penductors/enductors from you :biglaugh:

Also yes, they will all have ball valves, drain and detachable joints.

What do you think of the height on the wholes?? lower? higher? the line into the magdrive?

kaOzGrUnT

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
i was a glazier for 12 years.. i am sure you know how to drill glass.. so have fun.. and keep it lubed!!! i used to use water and antifreeze mix.. the antifreeze acted as a lube.. slow and steady ... and ream the holes a little so the bit doesnt get jammed and break the glass..

Drilled the holes for the overflow box two weeks ago because i knew where I wanted them, used plumbers putty to create a little pool around the hole and poored water into it.

reseter5

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
unless you know something i dont .. you cannot drill tempered .. it has to be drilled prior to tempering... all tempered glass starts life as regular plate glass.. but if they found a way to do it thats great.... not meaning to step on any toes... usually there is a tag on the underside of the tank saying tempered bottom or all glass tempered... or you will find out when you drill it and it breaks in a million pieces... that will not be good

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
Yes sir, I actually got the idea of penductors/eductors from you :biglaugh:
Also yes, they will all have ball valves, drain and detachable joints.
What do you think of the height on the holes?? lower? higher? the line into the magdrive?
Well, thank you, I take that as a compliment! As I said, it looks good, and with the ball valves, etc., it sounds well planned out. You shouldn't have to change a thing, and should have plenty of flow! Looking forward to your new tank thread.

kaOzGrUnT

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
unless you know something i dont .. you cannot drill tempered .. it has to be drilled prior to tempering... all tempered glass starts life as regular plate glass.. but if they found a way to do it thats great.... not meaning to step on any toes... usually there is a tag on the underside of the tank saying tempered bottom or all glass tempered... or you will find out when you drill it and it breaks in a million pieces... that will not be good
Not at all sir, I am not drilling the bottom of the tank, I looked over a chart that describes what tanks have tempered glass and where. I'm only doing the back wall.

artie1209

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
A check valve on the closed loop and set the "feed" higher for safety.
Personally a couple of Korella's and a wave timer will give you more flow, more control, less electricity and less chance of failure.

Wes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Don't know why you would ever need a check valve on a closed loop.

Also make sure you are using a pressure rated pump for the penductors, otherwise you will not get the 3-5x flow increase.

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: