ReeferGirl

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am moving the end of may. Just down the road but still far enough to be a pain in the as$, but I am getting a 2 bedroom for $175 less than what I am paying for a one bedrom. I will more than likely upgrading to a 75 gallon. I have a lot of planning to do...I will have one week to get my crap out and tank set up. Any suggestions?

ReeferGirl

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're going to need a lot of buckets!!

LOL yes I am planning on that. I have 4 five gallon buckets from lowes. I plan on getting more. I got your pm. Thanks, I am going to be upgrading. I can get a 75 from petco for $179 or $250 with a built-in overflow. I think I am leaning towards getting it with the built-in overflow. I think it will be way more worth it in the end.

ReeferGirl

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am extremely terrified about moving this tank. I using my current stand since I did design it so when I upgraded I wouldn't have to worry about buying a new stand. I don't even know how I am going to go about this.....

My somewhat plan:
-buy a couple huge plastic trashcans from h.depot to have to water already mixed and ready to go at my new place
-I want to change out my sand to the fiji pink reef sand, I really want coarser sand, and advice on doing this? Good idea or not? I plan on rinsing it really well with RODI water.
-With the current buckets I have, put the coral and rocks and 2 fish in seperate buckets with some form of circulation in there. I will need more buckets since I have 90+ lbs of LR.

Any more advise would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Re: My 55 gallon

I thought that stand looked deep for a 55.
Have you thought about a 90 instead? Same footprint as a 75 and you get a great angle looking down. My 75 just seems short. JMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0
hey reefergirl,
just replied your pm....was just asking about your tank.....i was reading jimmy's thread and then saw this....lol.
definitely get the reef ready tank....over flow box sux. i would stay with the 75 rather than the 90....22" height is much easier to reach the bottom.....unless you got some orangutan arms....lol. also the 26" on the 90 may be a bit deep for your light.
since you're up grading, it should be a bit easier. i would do this in 2 days. first thing is to make at least 75 gal. of saltwater at the new place.
move the 55 off the stand, try to borrow a hob or canister filter and set the 55 on the floor so you can take the sump and the stand to the new place. select a level location near a wall where there won't be many other electrical equipments sharing the same grid. make sure it's not share with stuff like a refrigerator or an a/c unit.
i would put a 1/2" foam (pink insulation foam sheet from home depot... something like $12) between the tank and the stand. you'll need to drill/cut the top of the stand for the bulkheads and pvc pipes to pass through. set the stand, foam, and tank, shim as needed. fresh water test the tank but don't get the water into the overflow box since you haven't done any plumbing yet. check for any immediate leaks if everything is ok, go grab lunch and let that sit for like an hour or so and check for leaks again. if it's a go then plumb it. test run everything and check for leaks again. drain and dry it, lay the sand (use the plastic bag it came in to cover to minimize major sand storm while filling) and fill about half way with prepared saltwater. add a heater (do you guys even need a heater down in fla.?) and after the sand settled down a bit, put in a power head to circulate. make some more salt water then call it a day.
day 2- zip lock bag the corals individually and put them in the same bucket with some extra water in it like you're floating the bags. next is the live rock......submerged in water is better but if it's too heavy then cover them with some wet paper towels. catch the fish and put in the same bucket with the zip locked corals.
get the rock into the new tank asap. float the corals to temperature acclimate, drip the fish and that's it with the livestock. top off everything and test all parameters. plan to test everyday and have mixed saltwater ready for water change if you get any ammonia spike from die off/cycling.
that's about all there is to it. good luck.

Last edited:

daisy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Hi, Jess - welcome to MR!

My folks are in Jax Beach (Ponte Vedra Beach), so I'm there a few times a year - if I was there when you move, I would totally help with the move...

It will be okay if you pack the LR "dry" - it will be wet from the tank - I've seen folks just wrap in bubblewrap and dip it in water so some water is trapped in the bubblewrap - you don't have to transport the rockwork in water.

Saving as much of your water as possible is a good idea. You may get a tiny cycle from having the rocks out of water for a little while, but if they're out for only a couple of hours, then it won't be so bad. You don't have any fish yet, right?

Do you have any overlap-time between the two apartments? Can you have the new tank like 1/2 full of water (and the new sand) before you get to the new place with your rock and corals? That would be the best case scenario...

I'd love to meet you when I come to PVB next. Where is your LFS? Every time I come down I want to check out the LFS, but I have yet to find one :(

-Tahl

tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0
Jess, you moving? Or just moving(breaking down) the 55 to replace with the 90? I thought you were just upgrading in the place your at. Either way good luck, follow advice given and youll be fine

So I am moving the end of may. Just down the road but still far enough to be a pain in the as$, but I am getting a 2 bedroom for $175 less than what I am paying for a one bedrom.

ding....ding....ding.....we've got a winner of RTFP award.....lol. skimming threads again jimmy?....hahaha:lol_large

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: