meph

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
I had a 55g for years in the basement..... I got lazy taking care of it because it was downstairs, life,work etc. Some softies and zoanthid i had died off but the chaeto and refugium was thriving. I decided to buy a new tank and start fresh upstairs and move the live rocks/sands as well as the sump/refugium.

Tank is a Rimless Glasscages w/ starphire front. Its a 50G long (48"LX18"WX12"H) which was leak tested for 2 weeks.
Overflow and return bulkhead is from glass-holes.
The is 2 returns lines, one on the left and one on the right. The return from the sump is an Eheim pump going into a check valve that goes into a SCWD that alternates to the left and right return nozzle.
The stand is custom built bar height with steel legs over a wall between the kitchen and dining room.

Sump/refugium is a 20G long breeder tank. It has 4 baffles... and 3 chambers.
- Chamber 1 is where the overflow goes into. The skimmer (AquaC remora urchin) is also in chamber 1.
- Chamber 2 the refugium. It is separated by 3 bubble baffles. I am trying out the duplex refugium for the benthic zone filtration. Lower duplex is for the tiny organisms feather dusters or tunicates. The upper duplex is the rubble rocks, and above that is the chaeto spread out thinly.
- Chamber 3 is where the last baffles is w/ teeth that filters out the chaeto to the return pump.

Lights are Aquactinics TX5 w/ 5 T5 bulbs and 2 Reefbrites LED strips as supplementals. One blue and one white.

Tank has been running 2 months now. Here are the pics of it now. Sorry, i am using my blackberry for a camera. I'll try to take better shots this weekend.
IMG00054201004131907-vi.jpg

IMG00053201004131905-vi.jpg

The Front with actinics on
frontactinicon-vi.jpg

The rear of the tank
rearoftank-vi.jpg

The Sump
sump-vi.jpg

I'm ready for the frag swap :)

Heres a pic of a scoly i got a few weeks ago eating an anthia that jumped out of my tank.
IMG00048201003281426-vi.jpg

Last edited:

meph

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Yes, there's a cabint in the back where the overflow goes down to a 20g long breeder tank that's converted to a sump/refugium. I'll try to post pics of that later . I'll update the first post w/ details as well.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: