• 33 Gallon Long

Votes: 29 93.5%

• Total voters

aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
Hello Everybody!!!

I know in my last thread I said the 72 Bow Front was my final upgrade. But seriously... this is my last one because I live on a second floor lol.

125 Gallon Reef Ready Dual Overflow
Cherry Stand
Cherry Canopy

Still deciding what sump to use. I might use a 20 long or go crazy with the 33 long... not 100%. Let's VOTE. I don't want to tip the weight scale!

Baja170

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a NICE tank setup!!

I use a 40 breeder for my 125, there is no way it will overflow without an auto top off. ;) If your 125 is 72" long like mine, you will probably have a max of about 24" in height or less under the stand so you need a long and wide sump with lower sides like the 40B (16" tall) if you plan to run an in-sump skimmer. I sectioned mine off so I have a constant level area for the skimmer and a bubble trap before the return pump. The 20L is only 12" high which is definitely short but you could also go with a 30B which is also 12" tall or if you can do 16" tall the 30 or the 40B would still allow you about half the space left under your tank in the stand for storage. The 33L would leave you less storage area under the tank, I would go with the standard 30 over the 33L if you can go with 16" tall tank, or the 40B. Same dilemma I faced exactly.

I have attached the Marienland aquarium size chart for size reference, my sump is not a marineland brand but the dimensions are the same.

Attachments

• Standard Aquarium Specs.pdf
    35.9 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

Baja170

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other thing to consider is that with dual built in overflows like your tank has and the length of your overflow plumbing coupled with your return plumbing there is going to be a lot of water going to your sump when the pump is off. I started with a wet-dry that would fill to about 1 inch below the top so I would have to keep the sump level lower than I would have liked to prevent a potential flood.

Baja170

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also one last thing. You may have to end up with just a 30G standard or something longer depending on how your 125 stand is constructed. Since it is furniture grade I am assuming, the 40B which is 18 inches wide will just barely fit.

If the stand is the cheaper pine stand (soft wood) that is stained cherry red you will probably have to go with the 30G or something longer but narrower than 18" as the usable dimensions are slightly less than 18 wide without modifying the stand.

Baja170

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to temporarily remove the center support on the back of my stand to get my sump in for sure. I think you would with a 55 as well or anything longer than about 30" to 32" at least in my stand. But at least you only have to put it in once unless you go bigger later.

Baja170

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can always drop the 55g in through the top since you are setting this up now. Just water test it first.

Excellent point!! MUCH easier than pulling the the back center support after draining most of the water out like I had to do. From now on, I make all my own sumps and test/install before sand and rock when the setup is new.

aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
Lol. Don't need a crazy big sump. I have a 20 Long and a 33 long. Not going to pick up a 40 breeder.

I am leaning towards the 33 long because of the spread.

On a second floor. I definitely won't drop a 55 in. Lol. I also have a recitculatkng skimmer so thank goodness water level won't be an issue. Man I meant to put q pic up but I'm still figuring out where to put the tank.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: