DrHarryLopez

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Calling all large tank owners, I'm starting this thread for questions related to large tanks. I'd say tanks from 180 gals n up.

Topics to include but not limited to:
Pumps for circulation
Pumps for flow
Humidity problems
Dosing methods
Cooling
Heating
Lighting
Economics of having a large tank
Husbandry
Controls
Plumbing, valves, fluid dynamics (Bernoulli's principle) :splitspin

DrHarryLopez

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
My 220 has a total gallonage which will be close to 330 gals.
(220 DT, 90 Fuge, 45 frag tank, 75 sump)

My FLow so far consists of:
Wavebox
Tunze Stream2 6105 (Flow rate: 792 to 3,434 USgal./h).
Tunze Stream2 6205 (Flow rate: 1,320 to 5,811 USgal./h). The 5K flow rate might be to strong but theres only one way to find out. I'll post a video.

I have an ATI Bubble Master Skimmer pulling 2500 lph plus. Thats 90 SCFH.
Now on sale for $650 I might buy another

dj ze

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
i run a 180 display 45gallonfuge 200 gallon sump full with 48 inch sock connected to the main return sump that is 125 gallon return pump reeflo dart skimmer is a super reef octopuss 5000 ext-cone flow inside of display tank is 4 aqueons 2400 lighting consists of 3 costume made 120wt led panels

DrHarryLopez

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
i run a 180 display 45gallonfuge 200 gallon sump full with 48 inch sock connected to the main return sump that is 125 gallon return pump reeflo dart skimmer is a super reef octopuss 5000 ext-cone flow inside of display tank is 4 aqueons 2400 lighting consists of 3 costume made 120wt led panels

wat type of tank? fowlr, mixed, sps?
What is your total gallons?
48" sock?
The socks how often do u change or clean them?

dj ze

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
sorry i missed that its a mixed reef but will slowly convert to just sps i run around 500 gallons after rock displacement yes i run 2 48 inch custom socks i clean the socks every 2 weeks

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
i run around 500 gallons after rock displacement
as someone, presently 'running' about 1400g, I think everyone, ESPECIALLY, large tank owners, should have a better idea of their ACTUAL gallonage... I have no idea, how full your sumps and frag tanks are, but I would guess that you probably 'run' somewhere around 350g. I comment on this because, it seems like many people don't really know how many actual gallons of WATER, they have, which, I think, might cause a problem when 'dosing' certain things...a '180g' tank with rock and sand, probably has less than 130g of water, most sumps/ refugiums are operated , way below, full capacity.
My new 450g tank holds about 380g of water, even less with rock and sand. When dosing any additives, that would be about 25% LESS! :shhh: A 120g reef tank, has about 80g of water (+ sump)...33% less than the owner thinks!

OzoneParkGuy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
as someone, presently 'running' about 1400g, I think everyone, ESPECIALLY, large tank owners, should have a better idea of their ACTUAL gallonage... I have no idea, how full your sumps and frag tanks are, but I would guess that you probably 'run' somewhere around 350g. I comment on this because, it seems like many people don't really know how many actual gallons of WATER, they have, which, I think, might cause a problem when 'dosing' certain things...a '180g' tank with rock and sand, probably has less than 130g of water, most sumps/ refugiums are operated , way below, full capacity.
My new 450g tank holds about 380g of water, even less with rock and sand. When dosing any additives, that would be about 25% LESS! :shhh: A 120g reef tank, has about 80g of water (+ sump)...33% less than the owner thinks!

We have a winner......!!!!! We spoke about that last week Harry and I. Nice to see that you brought this particular topic up.:groupflip

My total gallonage was 106 including sump.

Last edited:

ClosetFishGeek

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
114   0   0

So true.... I am running 3 tanks. a large sump and a skimmer that holds a boat load of water....lol....It all adds up to about 900 gallons take out rock & sand and the fact my sump is 1/2 full I am around the 700 mark for water volume...

qy7400

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
When I had my 180 up…<o></o>
<o></o>
Return was ReeFlo Snapper, slow flow though sump to give heaters/skimmer/reactors time to do their thing; pump also fed reactors.<o></o>
In tank pair of Tunze 6100 with 7095 controller, one pump on UPS; had controller set that pump would run at lowest setting when lights were out to maximize run time.<o></o>
No humidity problems really, house has central air during summer and humidity was a helpful during winter.<o></o>
No dosing, only had LPS/Softy<o></o>
Cooling was not needed, house AC and fans kept the tank no higher than 83 plus controller would alert me and shut the halides at 84.<o></o>
Heating was single 300W titanium<o></o>
Lighting, 3 12K CoralVue 250W MH<o></o>
Cleaned display glass at feeding every morning, weekly cleaning of skimmer, every 2 weeks ~25 gallon water change/check siphon hole on overflow, monthly swap of carbon/phosban.<o></o>
AC Pro did all control, lights, temp and top off.<o></o>
Let gravity do its thing for all plumbing. <o></o>
<o></o>
The 450 being built…<o></o>
Return is toss up but thinking ReeFlo Barracuda or 2 Snapper Gold.<o></o>
Adding another pair of Tunze 6100 and possible 5<sup>th</sup> non controllable.<o></o>
Humidity, canopy will closed and vented outside with sump/fuge in garage.<o></o>
Only plan on CA reactor<o></o>
Cooling…going to see how the system runs as lighting may be LED.<o></o>
Heat..adding second 300W heater.<o></o>
Lighting….undecided but looking like DIY LED as pre-built are just too costly for this size.<o></o>
Same husbandry just larger water changes.<o></o>
Controller upgraded to Apex but will handle same roles and now CO2<o></o>

Wes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have 250g display with 100g sump and have no idea what my actual volume is nor do I feel it's important.

I can tell you exactly how much I dose everyday. The directions based on water volume are just guidelines. You should never dose anything without testing. All tanks are different regardless of water volume.

That is why I feel it's pointless to determine actual water volume.

p.s. The term is volume, not "gallonage". Sorry, pet peeve.

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
What are you trying to get out of this thread?

The principles in keeping a small or large tank are the same, all your doing is increasing the size of the equipment used and dosing requirements for the most part. Everything is as important to a small tank as it is to a larger tank, from plumbing and equipment to dosing and maintenance. Larger tanks are much easier to keep stable and catch things before they go wrong. It all just gets tougher through husbandry and maintenance, and more expensive. And for some reason this thread feels like its going to be talking about equipment and what people are using to cut costs or something.

Granted with larger tanks there is more play in being creative with flow patterns, plumbing, rockwork, ect but its all just as important in a smaller tank. If anything smaller tanks can be alot more complicated to get done the right way due to size restraints, and because of that there is a simplicity factor that automatically happens.

As far as humidity, I have a 180g display with a good 40g between my frag tank and sump and the only time i feel the humidity is coming home after a long weekend, and even then its not too bad. If your having problems with humidity being destructive to your house then you have poor circulation in the room its in.

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
I have 250g display with 100g sump and have no idea what my actual volume is nor do I feel it's important.

I can tell you exactly how much I dose everyday. The directions based on water volume are just guidelines. You should never dose anything without testing. All tanks are different regardless of water volume.

That is why I feel it's pointless to determine actual water volume.
I think MOST people do not know their actual gallonage...yet they dose, buy a skimmer, worry about X amount of turnover per hour, etc. based on the wrong figures. Maybe, they're actually doing a 25% water change, instead of the 20%, that they think it is! Do the majority know about 'guidelines' or actually test before they dose...probably not. Is it important, to know gallonage, to get therapeutic drug levels, if you had to dose for red bugs, or flatworms? Is it pointless to know actual gallonage, I can't answer that for anyone else, but with the amount of time and $ 'invested' into this hobby, I'd like as much info as possible. Sorry, pet peave!
p.s. The term is volume, not "gallonage". Sorry, pet peeve.
SAYS WHO...or is it WHOM? :wink1:...I believe my use of the term 'gallonage', was proper, in that I wanted people to KNOW that I was referring to the actual # of gallons in the tank, not the tank builders 'overstated' (not even close) volume.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: