rkaragozler

Newbiee 4 Ever
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
Ok gang here it goes, I want to upgrade. I now have a 175 gallon Oceanic bow front, that is located in the basement. I want to custom build a tank that will fit into a space that the bow front is currently occupied in, the dimensions are 114"x35". I have 3 dimensions in mind
A)108x24x24-269.2 gallons
B)108x30x30-420.7 gallons
C)108x30x24-336.6 gallons
The 175 bow is 30" deep and I find it very hard to place anything or do anything at the bottom without really bending over into the tank on a 4' step stool. I am planning on having all the over flows in the back of the tank this way I don't have to look at anything inside the tank, I also would like to do a closed loop, running on a Oceans Motion (not sure 4way or 8 way). All the equipment that I have will support the 3 choices.
I need some advice, your thoughts and comments would be appreciated.

OzoneParkGuy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
I would stay in the 24" range because if your going 30" in width, your going to have the same issue reaching the back of the tank as you did reaching down. Option 1 and would go with a 6 way instead of 8 way closed loop. That means there 18 inches apart from each other on a 108" tank.

D1J8Z

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
you dont have to have anything in the back, you can have islands that stay in the middle but with a 30'' wide tank think of all the sweet swimming room!!!!!

OzoneParkGuy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
and when corals or items fall accidentially by snail or by some unforeseen event.... will you get them ? Reason why I dont personally like islands in the middle? More glass is seen in the back which means more scraping of algae(like the front) and coraline will cover the entire back glass making it harder to clean in the future if he ever needs to do a brakedown. Hopefully not!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: