jasonceo

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So I have had my 10g running for over a year now and recently began really stocking it. Time for a bigger tank! Here is my current tanks specs:

Equipment
10 gallon tank
Aquaclear 110 Hang on Back Filter (split in 3 sections, return/heater/fuge)
ViaAqua Titanium Heater 100W
3 PC 36W Lights (over tank)
1 PC 36W Light (over fuge)
Hydor Koralia Nano
2 Current USA Lunar Lights

Livestock
Six Line Wrasse
Twin Spot Goby
2 Blue Stripe Neon Gobies
Candy Cane Goby
Yellow Watchman Goby
Yellowtail Blenny
Flame Hawkfish
Fire Shrimp
2 Mexican Turbos
4 Nerite Snails
Nassarius Snail
Coco Worm
Orange Plate Coral
Green Long Tentacle Plate Coral
Purple Long Tentacle Anemone
Star Polyps
Red Ball Sponge
15+ Feather Dusters
Purple & Red Mushrooms
Chaeto, Red Gracilaria

img0464o.jpg

img0467c.jpg

img0475ts.jpg

img0476w.jpg

jasonceo

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I just ordered a 30g Rimless 24x24x12 tank. I always wanted a clean looking look down tank. I will be filling it with the contents of my 10g and of course buying a ton of feather dusters because I always wanted a tank filled with them.

I am going to build the stand myself from ideas I have seen all over the interweb. I am not sure if I should use 2x4 or 1x4 to build the stand so any suggestions would be awesome.

I am not sure what I am going to do with lighting. I have seen similar tanks with one metal halide pendant but I have noticed significant light drop off towards the edges. I was thinking about doing 2 T5 fixtures each with 2 bulbs. I will mainly keep softies and my anemone along with the feather dusters. Since it's not a deep tank I am thinking T5's will be enough. Let me know what you think.

I like to run a natural tank so I rely heavily on my fuge to take care of my excessive nutrients. I have never had a problem running my tanks this way but I am thinking I might do a protein skimmer just in case. Looking for recommendations for a in sump skimmer that is made for a smaller tank.

My return pump will either be a Mag 7 or 9.5 run through a 3/4" or 1" SCWD which go up to 2 returns drilled in to the bottom of the tank. Each return will have a check valve installed. My overflow will be a corner 1" durso.

For heaters I am going to do 2 heaters but not sure on the brand. I have a Via Aqua Titanium now that I like. Anything else out there that really warms you up?

I think I am done for now hahahaha. I will post more pics as I build everything and put it together.

jasonceo

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The six line has been in there for a little while. He eats like a beast and is very healthy looking. Great fish. It is heavily stocked but with my 2 gallon weekly water changes and my fuge I have been able to maintain excellent water quality.

I have heard some great things about glasscages with a few bad stories sprinkled in here and there. Honestly their price was right and I could get it relatively quickly.

Thanks roc5288 for that green long tentacle plate!

pauliwalnuts

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
I just ordered a 30g Rimless 24x24x12 tank. I always wanted a clean looking look down tank. I will be filling it with the contents of my 10g and of course buying a ton of feather dusters because I always wanted a tank filled with them.

I am going to build the stand myself from ideas I have seen all over the interweb. I am not sure if I should use 2x4 or 1x4 to build the stand so any suggestions would be awesome.

I am not sure what I am going to do with lighting. I have seen similar tanks with one metal halide pendant but I have noticed significant light drop off towards the edges. I was thinking about doing 2 T5 fixtures each with 2 bulbs. I will mainly keep softies and my anemone along with the feather dusters. Since it's not a deep tank I am thinking T5's will be enough. Let me know what you think.

I like to run a natural tank so I rely heavily on my fuge to take care of my excessive nutrients. I have never had a problem running my tanks this way but I am thinking I might do a protein skimmer just in case. Looking for recommendations for a in sump skimmer that is made for a smaller tank.

My return pump will either be a Mag 7 or 9.5 run through a 3/4" or 1" SCWD which go up to 2 returns drilled in to the bottom of the tank. Each return will have a check valve installed. My overflow will be a corner 1" durso.

For heaters I am going to do 2 heaters but not sure on the brand. I have a Via Aqua Titanium now that I like. Anything else out there that really warms you up?

I think I am done for now hahahaha. I will post more pics as I build everything and put it together.
1x4 is more then enough and two T-5's with polished reflector will work even for some sps. CustomKing makes custom sumps (not pricie sumps) and skimmer will be great for your oxygen levels. gook luck:splitspin

jasonceo

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
That is a good point about oxygen levels. CustomKing has come highly recommended and I will be contacting him tonight.
I thought 1x4 would be enough and I think I will start that build tomorrow.
I keep leaning towards T5s they just seem cheaper in the long run and more than enough for a shallow tank.
Thanks!

pauliwalnuts

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
In addition to the 2-T5's. If your are looking for the shimmery look like the helides give you. Just add one of them new LED 420nm moon light that IceCap makes (Afordable) and run it all day. That will give a reef shimmer to that tank.

jasonceo

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
STAND BUILD
I'm no carpenter and there are a bunch of stand building sites out there. This is a combination of those sites and my own idea of what I want/need.

The idea for my tank is a super clean look and so I wanted a stand that would be clean without any ornamental designs. The tank and stand should appear as one.

SUPPLIES
1 - 3/4 x 4' x 8' Plywood $30
8 - 2" x 2" $20
2 - 5mm x 4' x 8' Plywood $23
16 - 2" Corner Braces $10
2 1/2" Screws $4
1 1/4" Screws $3.50
1 1/4" Finishing Nails $4.50
Wood Glue $3.30

The pictures speak for themselves. This was relatively easy to do especially since I'm not the best with wood. The top is the 2x2 with 3/4" plywood on top. The bottom is the 2x2s sandwiched between two pieces of 3/4" plywood. The reason I did the bottom like that was to create a level surface on the bottom of the stand and also a level surface for the sump. Next I mounted 7 vertical 2x2s that keep the top and bottom together. I used the corner braces on top and bottom opposite each other. I also put horizontal 2x2s between each vertical beam. I had some wobble so instead of doing more corner braces I used the wood I had and put braces on the bottom and top of a few of the vertical beams. I also put a horizontal beam going across the backside a few inches down from the top with a small vertical beam holding it to the top(not in photos, sorry).

The shell for the stand is the 5mm plywood. Three sides are one whole piece each. The back is broken down to 2 strips across the top and bottom and 2 strips going down each side. The inside is the same 5mm plywood on the sides and on top I put another 5mm sheet just to make everything uniform. I will be putting either styrofoam or carpet on the inside to keep it quiet from pump vibrations.

The stand is 24x24x30 which hopefully will be a perfect look down height for my tank (12" tall). Now I need to do the door which I have no idea how to do but I will figure it out. I have to decide if the stand will be stained or painted black. The smell of stain takes forever to go away and paint doesn't always look great. Tough call.

How about some pics?

jasonceo

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ok so got my tank from glasscages today. I know everyone has their opinions but I can only go by what happened to me. Picking up the tank was easy. They were right where they said they would be. I was told they would be there from 10am-2pm. Others on here told me to get there later if I have a smaller tank or I would probably wait while the bigger tanks are unloaded first. By the time I got there (1pm) the big tanks were gone and the smaller tanks were in the back of the truck. There were 2 trucks with tanks and supposedly a tractor trailer with more tanks. The guy helped me load up the tank and was super nice. I drove away and then suddenly realized I didn't get any styrofoam so I went back. I felt bad bothering the guy that helped me before because he was eating a sandwich but he was real nice about it and let me have whatever I wanted.

Ok so I got home and really gave the tank a look. Here is what I noticed/liked/didn't like:

1. The tank is built like a beast. The glass is thick and heavy! Carrying by myself def put a strain on the back.
  2. The bulkheads they sold me didn't fit they holes they drilled! Why didn't they check that before they brought it over? Plus they were schedule 80 which might be a little overkill for a 30G. They holes they drilled were 1 3/4".
  3. The silicone is sloppy. I mean everything looks sealed fine BUT the bottom of the tank has large chunks of silicone hanging off. They could have easily taken a razor blade and trimmed that off.
  4. The corner overflow isn't the best. No teeth on top so I will have to add something to prevent anything from going over (fish, snails, etc...). Oh and it seems a little low so I will definitely bring it up a bit.
Now here is the interesting part that has caused some stir on another post. I looked at my bill for everything and noticed that I was charged for the tank, overflow, extra holes, bulkheads, and NO SHIPPING CHARGE. Now reminder I picked it up in White Plains, NY. They were at the reptile show where they were a vendor. I was told when I first called them that I would have to pay $36 shipping. However when I called the second time to finalize my order I was told I wouldn't have to pay shipping because they are going to White Plains anyways. Now you might say I got hit with a $15 charge for bulkheads that don't fit so they got me anyways, but that's still less than $36 and I can sell these to someone else. Overall I have to say my experience with them was just OK. The people I dealt with on the phone and at pickup were pleasant actually they were very nice though unclear at times. I like the tank overall but it needs some cleaning up and a modification. If regular sch40 bulkheads fit fine then I would say it was definitely worth the price.

roc5288

ReefersDelight
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Looks real nice Jason.. Sorry to hear about the bulkhead thing. Minor set back. glass looks pretty thick. Get in contact with Russ at salt water critters for bulkhead he's close to us.
Otherwise i use savkco plastic.com. I like the glass overflow box, did they tell you it wouldn't have teeth?

jasonceo

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I just asked for a corner overflow. They didn't mention it wouldn't have teeth I assumed they would. Someone else told me right before I picked it up that they don't do teeth. From what I heard from others they only do glass overflows on glass tanks. I do recommend them if you are considering them just look out for the things that happened to me.
I have 3 bulkheads coming in tomorrow so I will try those and if they don't work I will contact saltwatercritters. I may need sand from them anyways.

Also got my sump from CustomKing and a skimmer from evoIX_Reefer. Pics coming up.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: