Staaan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Stan's 20g LONG Reef

Equipment List (so far..)

Tank - 20g Long - 3/4" Return & Drain

Skimmer - ASM G-2 (Rated for 200g tank :sgrin:)

Sump - 20g Long w/ refugium chamber

Return Pump - EHEIM 1260

Powerhead/Flow - VorTech MP10

Lighting - 18 (3 watt) Cree XR-E LEDs (9 White | 9 Blue) = 54 watts [Most likely will be using 70 degree optics]

Maximum Volume - ~30g

Reactor - Still deciding...

Heater - Still deciding...

Last edited:

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
An Ehiem 1260 on a 20 gallon, man that's gonna be some flow. You are gonna have to put a ball valve on there to throttle the flow back. Did you go to Petco and see if they are having the 1dollar per gallon sale still? If so score a 29 gallon or 30 gallon and use the 20 gallon you have as the sump.

Staaan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I'm kind of set on this 20g.. I like that the shallowness let me spend less on lighting. :splitspin

Yeah, I'm definitely going to use a ball-valve to slow down that return pump. Plus I got the mp10.. so I def. don't want to over-do it.

Thanks for chiming in though.

I just really don't know what to do about the sump... what to use... lol.

I'm pretty sure petco still has a sale going on.. I think I'm going to have to pick up a 20g tall.. or... I dk.. any other suggestions?

MIKE NY

Two Decade Club
Rating - 100%
204   0   0
sounds like a nice set up...if you get a chance check out Chris's(Cthedaytrader) old 20L SPS tank on RC...it was beautiful, maybe you can some ideas for your setup..I seen it.... from the pics and in person you would never think it was just a 20.

Staaan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
@ Mike - Thanks Mike! I appreciate tip.. definitely going to check it out now.

@Ant - Thanks Ant.. I think I got things under-control. I'm just really looking for some advice on sump size, and the amount of LEDs to use.. so its not overkill.. nor under-kill.

Last edited:

Staaan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I've decided the following for my new upgrade...

3/4" drain & return

18 - 3watt LEDs with 70 degree optics. (Cree XR-E white and blue)

Only thing I'm not totally sure of...

Either "T" off the drain OR return to feed a biopellet reactor?

Any suggestions? Everyone tells me different....

Sent from my HTC Incredible using Tapatalk

Staaan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Some people have commented saying that using the drain to "T" off of, is not smart because your slowing down the drain.

Thats pretty much the only "against" I have for the drain "T"..

Plus this tank is using the Eheim return which produces ~650gph... so I'm thinking using the return pump to power the reactor may be a pretty good idea...

Anyone willing to chime in?

Staaan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Sump Design

Should I have the Protein Skimmer sitting in the first chamber of the sump, or Second?

Same with reactor - first or second chamber? (I'll be using BioPellets)

I'm not sure I'm going to be able to do a "standard" 3 baffle bubbletrap, cause it'll just take so much room..

Can anyone offer me some alternative?

MIKE NY

Two Decade Club
Rating - 100%
204   0   0
Stan I would "T" off the return for the reactor with valves to control the flows for both, the return and reactor. I would place the skimmer in the chamber where the overflow feeds into. I would also consider using carbon, phosban or both....personally I never ran a tank fresh or salt without carbon at a rate of one cup per 100 gallons and change it every 30 days. I would also use a filtersock on the overflow. It will keep the water clearer and eliminate alot of the detris that will accumilate in the sump.

Staaan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Thank you Mike!

I'm just a bit confused..

(here my newbness shows) haha..

When you say overflow, you're talking about the 2nd chamber in the sump, after the drained water enters the first chamber and overflows into the 2nd chamber?

Also..

I don't think I'll have room for the traditional 3 baffle bubble trap, what should I do about that?

aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
Stan... where the overflow feeds into... aka your drain lol.

You put your skimmer there because that's where there will be the most debris floating around hypothetically speaking. By the time it overflows into the second chamber some debris wouldn't make it through.

If you can't do a 3 chamber just do a 2.

Staaan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Haha.. thanks Ted.

Yeah, I'll probably just do a 2 chamber..

I wanted to make a fuge..

Sooooo...

First Chamber = Protein Skimmer

Second Chamber = Return pump, chaeto (etc), extra live rock, and possibly reactor if it can fit.. other wise might mount the reactor to back wall of the stand..

Prob. going to use http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/brs-gfo-and-carbon-reactor.html

with chemipure elite first, and then switch over to biopellets..

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: