funkmaster

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Iv been considering setting up 2 tank I hav a reef safe tank now with a sump and as u all know u can't have all the fish u want with a reef ..my plan would be 2 have 2 tanks and run them off the same sump...what r your thoughts also if u can post pics if u have what I want to do...I don't want to run 2 separate set ups if I don't have 2..thanks eric

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
It is entirely possible however I have a couple of concerns. The sump needs to be big enough to handle the water volume with both tanks especially in the event that you lose power so you do not overflow tons of water on the flow. Also the return pump needs to be large enough to pump return back to bot tanks at the proper return rate. They both can be regulated easily but have to be calculated properly as well.

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
My concern is that when people have a non-reef safe fish only tank.. they typically get a lot of fish and feed them generously. This will pollute the tank more. high nitrates and phosphates in a fish only tank isn't such a big deal, but if its plumbed together, the reef tank will usually suffer

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
My concern is that when people have a non-reef safe fish only tank.. they typically get a lot of fish and feed them generously. This will pollute the tank more. high nitrates and phosphates in a fish only tank isn't such a big deal, but if its plumbed together, the reef tank will usually suffer

Another consideration that is extremely important.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: