aagresti

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
decided to start a thread of my tank. constructive criticism is very welcome (always looking to learn something). the tank is a Deep Blue 57RR that I got from Saltwatercritters (Thanks Russ / Jim !!). The tank has completely cycled, but I still dont have any water flow in my fuge yet because I still need about 40lbs of sand for the DSB. If anyone recently did a tank breakdown or a re-aquacape and have any leftover sand LMK. The sump is a converted 65g acrylic flat back hex tank that I cut about 12 inches of length off one end and shortened by 7 inches. I also made the sock holder out of acrylic. the sand is Fiji Pink (has no reddish tones at all) but hopefully once I add the proper lighting it will have some color. The fixture is an old dual 175W MH with dual 30W fluorescents. New bulbs will be Phoenix 14k. I plan to replace the fluorescents with dimmable royal blue LEDs to simulate dusk, dawn and moon lighting. In tank water movement is done by Koralia 1050 & 750. I'm using a Deep Blue Triton5 for system circulation. the skimmer for now is a Coralife 220. I don't expect to have a large bio load (4-6 fish at most). I have bunches of caulerpa and chaeto. Does one work better than the other to reduce phospates/silicates?

Attachments

• tank thread 016.jpg
    tank thread 016.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 367
  • tank thread 007.jpg
    tank thread 007.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 362

aagresti

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Looking good there brother. As far as the macro algea, go with the chaetomorpha. It doesn't go asexual when you turn the lights off, but i would aslo recommend leaving them on 24hrs a day.

thanks Pauli. I'll lose the caulerpa and keep the chaeto. If I have to leave the fuge light on 24/7 will it be necessary to constantly change the bulbs? Can I use a standard fluoresecent bulb?

Nice set up, don't forget your clamps once the sump gets going.

Rich, I'm assuming you mean adjustable band clamps so the hose doesn't slip off the barb. I didn't think the pressure was high enough to warrant them, but better safe than sorry.

aagresti

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
What side of the sump will the water drain to?

The water drains in to a sock on the left. it gets processed by the skimmer in the same area. the water then passes through a bublble trap to the center area where the retun pump is located. Once I get enough sand in the fuge, I'll use one of the ports on the manifold to control how much water flows through it. the water from the fuge just drains in to the return area.

pauliwalnuts

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
Yeah, the ones bought at the HomeDepot is what I use. What's funny is that they sell bulbs with a 6500k color temperature. Because I've searched high and low but can't seem to find them round that color temperature, so HomeDepot is going to be your best source for a bulb of that color.

aagresti

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Looks good Aldo!

Looking forward to more pictures. The tank looks great.

yeah, we want more:) You did a great job with the tank so far.

Thanks Guys!

Looking good there, love the rose anenome.
The red/orange cap montipora needs to be on the top portion of the rock work.

Pauie, I was told orange cap montipora should be placed on the bottom of the tank becuase it will block out the light of everything beneath it as it grows large.

right now i just haphazardly placed everything in the tank. I need to research where each specimen should actually be placed (top/bottom, higih/low flow, etc.)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: