strgazr27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
123   0   0
This may be a bit winded so bear with me. This is an introduction/tank thread/discussion... I have spent a fair amount of time cruising Reef groups and have come to find this one of the nicest, most informative groups out there. And most of you are LOCAL :cheers:

I figured I would start to post up some pictures of the 70 gallon tank I am starting to put together. I'm hoping this will eventually be a beautiful Softie/LPS tank to be proud of. I had a 55 "Reef" about 18 years ago. An Amiracle/BioBall Nitrate factory with a homemade 4' Basswood block skimmer. 4 Home depot shop lights with Actnics and daylight tubes in them. Needless to say after my first explosion of hair algae I had enough :irked: .

I have spent a REDICULOUS amount of time reading and researching and think I have even more questions. Hopefully as this build progresses they will be answered.

I got an amazing deal on the tank that I couldn't turn down. I actually started on the stand 2 weeks before I had the tank. I started the canopy this weekend. Still a bit of work to do but I'm happy with the way its' turning out so far. The stand is actually going to be going to my friend for his 70 gallon Discus show tank. I will be building another stand to match the canopy.

I am struggling badly with which way I want to go as far as lighting. I love the shimmer of the MH's but THINK I may be able to get away with the TEK 4X54w T5 setup I currently am selling (Unless it will be OK with my choice of inhabitants). Any thoughts? PLEASE don't say LED's as this is a budget build to an extant and the cost of LED's is out of my reach as well as my pockets :( If I keep the T5 I am planning on splitting it into 2 2 bulb setups with a moonlight LED setup down the middle. Behind the back wall will be a 8X6 "Fish room" where all the equipment will be installed including a 70 Gallon Sump/Refugium.

So.... After boring you enough here is the tank as it stands. Feel free to ask questions, answer mine or guide me in the right direction. THANKS!

P.S. The canopy is not warped or crooked. It's an optical illusion Lol.

IMG_0297.JPG

Canopy close-up

IMG_0299.JPG

Last edited:

strgazr27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
123   0   0
A little more work done....

I was able to get a bit more work done yesterday after shoveling out for 5 hours :( I still need to install the gas struts for the top and router the doors (Going Roman Ogee for the edges) as well as decide which lighting route I am going and get those mounted. Than it's fill, sanding and finish followed my more sanding and topcoats.

2011-01-27_22-00-22_446.jpg

2011-01-27_22-52-56_114.jpg

2011-01-27_22-53-20_483.jpg

2011-01-27_22-54-07_268.jpg

Thanks for looking !

strgazr27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
123   0   0
I picked up a really nice Hamilton Deluxe MH setup from Ravi over the weekend. I wanted it to fit in my canopy so I pulled it apart tonight at work and began fitting it into the hood. The reflectors are temporary till I get a nice pair. Still need to fit in the 4 T5's still but it's getting there.

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• 2011-02-01_03-37-39_812.jpg
    2011-02-01_03-37-39_812.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 474
  • 2011-02-01_03-37-52_993.jpg
    2011-02-01_03-37-52_993.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 476

strgazr27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
123   0   0
So a WEE little change of plans over the last few days. I wound up trading the stock 75 for a Deep Blue Aqautics 75RR from Kgoldy. I am VERY happy about it as it saves me a bunch of work. I am also picking up a very nice MH setup from Captaincrunch in the morning :) MR rocks! I'll post a few pictures of the new tank. VERY nicely done. I do wonder though if the single 1" return will be enough.

Rating - 100%
164   0   0
The stand and canopy look real nice. You have mad carpentry skills. Just a couple of things to consider if you haven't yet. If you're going to install the mh lights in the hood remember to install uv protective glass (shield). What model did you use for the frame of the stand? One concern has been to make sure that nails/screws will not bear the weight of the filled tank.

strgazr27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
123   0   0
The stand and canopy look real nice. You have mad carpentry skills. Just a couple of things to consider if you haven't yet. If you're going to install the mh lights in the hood remember to install uv protective glass (shield). What model did you use for the frame of the stand? One concern has been to make sure that nails/screws will not bear the weight of the filled tank.

Thanks man. The change of plans includes ditching the current MH setup for an Outer Orbit unit so these bulbs won't be used. As they are mogul base bulbs they don't need UV shields as the shielding is on the bulbs already. DE bulbs need the shielding. The model I used was my own design. utilizes 2x4 construction w 4 screws/dowels and tightbond per joint with all joints being half lap joints. As far as strength goes..... It held a 1600 lb pallet of ice melt no problem :)

Thanks again for the kind words!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: