James404

MH for Life!
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Next I have to crawl through this to put support jacks under the floor joists. Fun stuff

DSC_0413_650.jpg

James404

MH for Life!
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I see you decided to go with 400watt Radium bulbs, I just made the change myself. Good choice of equipment and good luck on the build. Btw, are you keeping the carpet underneath the stand ?

Thank you very much, I am running the 250w radiums on my 75 and love them so didn't hesitate at all when making the switch up to 400w.

I did consider tiling an area under the stand but I am not sure if that is a project I am willing to undertake. I've never done tile before, it looks straightforward enough from the tutorials I've seen online, but being a new homeowner I am learning that things that seem easy can sometimes turn out to be harder than thought.

coralnut99

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much, I am running the 250w radiums on my 75 and love them so didn't hesitate at all when making the switch up to 400w.

I did consider tiling an area under the stand but I am not sure if that is a project I am willing to undertake. I've never done tile before, it looks straightforward enough from the tutorials I've seen online, but being a new homeowner I am learning that things that seem easy can sometimes turn out to be harder than thought.

If you're capable of doing that kind of cabinetry, putting down a dozen square feet of tile should be a snap for you. You can buy pre-mixed thinset, and the tools required really won't set you back much. Really just a notched trowel, and sponges to wipe down the grout. Tile spacers make it infinitely easier than it was years ago and cost just a few bucks. This would obviously be the time to do it. You can lay out an area that won't require any cutting to make it even easier. The difference over carpeting will be substantial and far less aggrevating after your first spill.

James404

MH for Life!
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
If you're capable of doing that kind of cabinetry, putting down a dozen square feet of tile should be a snap for you. You can buy pre-mixed thinset, and the tools required really won't set you back much. Really just a notched trowel, and sponges to wipe down the grout. Tile spacers make it infinitely easier than it was years ago and cost just a few bucks. This would obviously be the time to do it. You can lay out an area that won't require any cutting to make it even easier. The difference over carpeting will be substantial and far less aggrevating after your first spill.

Hmm I may have to rethink doing it. I just would hate to bite off more than I can chew. Especially when we have a new baby here any day :)

jerl77

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
stop over i just tile 30 sq feet for back splash its so easy and i got the tools for you too

Attachments

• IMG_8168.jpg
    IMG_8168.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_8172.jpg
    IMG_8172.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 133

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
That tank is phenomenal. Oh Em Gee. :shocked1:

Everything looks great. If I were you I would beef up that stand a bit for long term. Your pushing 2.3k lbs + (over a ton) with the tank, hood, lights, sand, rock. Yes I know Dayton makes aquarium stands and you trust them but that stand has very little as far as lateral support. You would be surprised the lateral forces going on in our reef tanks with all the water being pushed around with a few vortechs or a wavemaker or whatever your going to use. The stand is a perfect freshwater stand though.

Keep us posted, the tank looks amazing. Reef Savvy makes real nice tanks. What did it run you?

James404

MH for Life!
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
That tank is phenomenal. Oh Em Gee. :shocked1:

Everything looks great. If I were you I would beef up that stand a bit for long term. Your pushing 2.3k lbs + (over a ton) with the tank, hood, lights, sand, rock. Yes I know Dayton makes aquarium stands and you trust them but that stand has very little as far as lateral support. You would be surprised the lateral forces going on in our reef tanks with all the water being pushed around with a few vortechs or a wavemaker or whatever your going to use. The stand is a perfect freshwater stand though.

Keep us posted, the tank looks amazing. Reef Savvy makes real nice tanks. What did it run you?

Thanks for your feedback, greatly appreciated. Any suggestion on how to beef up the stand? I had considered using some additional 2x4s to increase rigidity on it but would hate to do more harm than good if you know what I mean.

qy7400

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Do you have pics of the build? The beef up the stand you'll need to know if the are cross braces under the top and bottom or do the just sit on the edges? You can just add a 1x4 diagonal on the back wall, pocket screws and glue are pretty strong.

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Take some pics of the inside corners of the stand.

Pocket hole screws are not super strong btw. To hold verticle pieces in place under pressure they are great but structurally not too great. Im pretty sure the tank has front and back cross braces and is supported from whatever I seen in the pics which is fine. Construction differs for different tank sizes and weights. I would pocket hole and glue a cross brace for a 50g tank without thinking twice but not be able to sleep at night with anything over 150g.

By the way, for comparison, a 220g tank with sump and equipment weighs about the same as a Honda Civic or Yaris =0)

Last edited:

ryangrieder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Oh wow I don't believe I did not see this tank thread earlier! Man you look like your off to an amazing start! I cannot wait to see you start to piece everything together. When do you think the big day will be? Good luck with it all, cannot wait to watch. Post a lot of pics because I'm jealous! Haha

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: