Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
In a couple of weeks my reef will will have reached 40 years old.
Unfortunately I don't remember when I was 40 but I remember when I set it up. I was a skinny 22 year old just back from Viet Nam.
It is still running very well, still using the same reverse UG filter, same dolomite substrait but none of the fish are original. The oldest one, a fireclown is just over 16, all of the older fish died in an accident that was due to my carelessness.
The tank is mostly LPS, gorgonians, giant mushrooms and a few leathers.
There are only three SPS corals, two of which have been with me for a few years and are growing nicely.
I am not sure is any of the original NSW from the Long Island Sound is still in there or any of the original amphipods but maybe much later generations.
I still can't take a decent picture and the tank is not as blue as these pictures but it is what it is.
opentank008.jpg

Valantinesday017.jpg

monti002.jpg

IMG_0820.jpg

Aquarium014.jpg

Custo009.jpg

newcorals002.jpg

Last edited:

jr973

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
415   0   0
Nice to hear I believ I have seen this tank on reef central also but congrats on the 40th anniversary Paul I'm sure u will b wineing your tank with viatmin c and dinneing with pe mysis on your big day lol

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Yes I really need to wine and dine the tank and maybe the person who built it if he is still alive. So far it has never leaked. The galvanized stand that I built is heavy construction steel much thicker than angle iron and the leg near the skimmer rusted badly. I scraped that leg down and epoxied it to protect it, another leg I could not get to as easily and I just bolted a new leg next to it to help suport it and I also epoxied that leg. The other two legs are like brand new.
IMG_0206.jpg

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
She is about to lay eggs again. This large watchman gobi has been with me for many years along with her boyfriend. She has also laid eggs many times but all the times except once she laid them in places where I can't get to to take a picture. This time she picked a place in the back of the tank where I hope to get a picture of. She already uncovered my UG filter and is fat. I am hoping to see some eggs this week but you never know. She could also just have eaten too many Doritoes and just gotten fat.
Gobi004.jpg

This was another batch of eggs from her in another place where it is hard to get a picture
Gobieggs026.jpg

Master Shake

captain of tying knots
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
still 35 years is a long time for a tank, looks good
The long nose does not nip at anything. He gets live worms and fresh clams every day and swims around smiling.
Master Shake the glass of my tank is only 35 years old, I moved everything to this larger tank in 1976

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: