jnelson

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
Here's my Fluval Edge tank thread. Big thanks to Ted (aznt1217) for the tank, rock and LED setup!

Setup:
- 6G Fluval Edge
- Stock HOB filter, running carbon, filter floss and BioMax
- Retrofitted LED fixture (8 x 3W CREE, heatsink and dimmer box)
- Approx 5-6 lbs. cured LR, 1-2 lbs. LS
- Has been cycling for 1 month. Diatom bloom came and went.

Current Parameters:
- pH: 8.2
- Temp: 74-76 F
- SG: 1.025
- Ammonia: 0ppm
- Nitrites: 0ppm
- Nitrates: 5-10ppm (on its way down)

Livestock:
- 1 Yellowtail Damsel (Was supposed to be 2 clowns but the girlfriend intervened and picked out something "prettier")
- Blue mushroom corals (just added yesterday, will take a new FTS when they open up a bit more)
- 1 Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
- 2 Astrea Snails
- 2 Red-Leg Hermits
- 1 smaller hitchhiker snail (possibly a cerith?)
- Various other small hitchhikers (asterinas, feather dusters, etc.)

Future Plans:
- More soft corals (probably something like GSP)
- Small powerhead for better flow

FTS:
DSC_3435.jpg

Grainy shot of my still-shy Damsel, named Dai Lo (since he's the boss of the tank!):
DSC_3431.jpg

Last edited:

jnelson

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
Giving the mushrooms a few more days to open up, but they're getting there!

Also picked up 4 small nassarius snails to help clean up the sand bed. Used the opportunity to get up close and personal with the shrimp/damsel.

Shots taken with a Nikon D80 and 50mm f/1.8.

DSC_3467.jpg

DSC_3477.jpg

aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
Dude! Wrong forum should be in Nano Tanks.

Anyway. I think you may have to get that Damsel out. Pretty much just limited everything else. Tune the LED's so that it's on the more blue side. You don't want any unnecessary algae popping up due to color spectrum.

jnelson

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
Hey Ted! Yeah... Note to self, no more taking Ashley with me when I'm browsing an LFS :smash:

The damsel is only about an inch or so long right now and it SEEMS to be okay. It was shy at first but has been exploring the tank, and has made a home out of one of the bigger rocks I have. I will definitely keep an eye on it though and may opt for something else.

As for the lights, it's probably just the exposure/white balance. I don't have the white LEDs on full blast, I have them probably about halfway up. Still need to invest in some optics or a sheet of acrylic diffuser - you can still make out the bands of blue when both colors are on.

cowfish

Psycho-ologist
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Your damsel looks like a Chrysiptera parasema and they're pretty mellow, especially for damsels. A lot of the Chysiptera species are on the passive side. I've never had trouble with the yellow tails or Kupang/hemicyanea damsels bothering other fish, though that is a small tank so territory issues may arise.

On another note - Personally, I wouldn't put more than 1 fish in a nano that size.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: