shaun11423

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i currently have a 30 gallon and my friend which is new in the hobby is going to do a 180 gallon tank(not 100% sure its 180), so i will keep you guys posted, our goals are to make the system completely automatic, Water changes done automatically with minimum assistance. So get ready for this!

Attachments

• 2011-05-22_19-37-02_286.jpg
    2011-05-22_19-37-02_286.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 305
  • 2011-05-22_19-37-16_892.jpg
    2011-05-22_19-37-16_892.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 300
  • 2011-05-22_19-37-24_492.jpg
    2011-05-22_19-37-24_492.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 300
Last edited:

shaun11423

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so a little problem has arisen, the tank original front panel has a haze on the entire glass and only on the front, the two sides are clear and the back. Normally i was just turn it around and use the back as my display panel but that side has some deep scratches due to the movement of rocks, i assume.
So the tank was cleaned with vinegar with a soft sponge and it didn't help.
So that leaves me with two options,
1- work with the front glass and polish the glass?
2-work with the back glass and get the scratches out and then i would have to still polishes it.

or is there another option other than replacing the tank,
are there company's out there that will help in this type of situation
thanks

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Scratches in glass cannot be polished out.

+1 Lunareclipse, razor blades (replace often) work wonders when cleaning tanks

I notice the 180g is not drilled, and I see an external overflow in your pile of equipment. I know it is an assumption on my part (and we know what happens when one ass/u/me's ;) ), but there is no way I would do a build of any size, let alone a 180, with an external overflow. I hope you reconsider that.

DialySeas makes a fully automated RO/DI filtration for topoff & water change system. You should check them out.

Good luck
Russ

shaun11423

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scratches in glass cannot be polished out.

+1 Lunareclipse, razor blades (replace often) work wonders when cleaning tanks

I notice the 180g is not drilled, and I see an external overflow in your pile of equipment. I know it is an assumption on my part (and we know what happens when one ass/u/me's ;) ), but there is no way I would do a build of any size, let alone a 180, with an external overflow. I hope you reconsider that.

DialySeas makes a fully automated RO/DI filtration for topoff & water change system. You should check them out.

Good luck
Russ

ok i am going to work with the front glass, now i was considering buff the glass to get the haze off, with cerium oxide. First i think the tank needs to be placed on its side and have vinegar poured on the glass for an hour and then clean it will razor blades. This process will be repeated until there are results. What do you think.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Hey Shaun, nice talking with you. As I said, I don't know much about cerium oxide, so I just looked it up on wikipedia. Here's the one statement I'm taking away from the wiki page:

The use of these nanoparticles, which can penetrate the body and reach internal organs, has been criticized as unsafe.

That scares me.

Best of luck,
Russ

Lunareclipse

Fishes are cuddly
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Hey Shaun, nice talking with you. As I said, I don't know much about cerium oxide, so I just looked it up on wikipedia. Here's the one statement I'm taking away from the wiki page:

That scares me.

Best of luck,
Russ
It is scary. Don't overcomplicate things. Simplify. Sometimes the simplest soultion works the best without harming your tank.

ClosetFishGeek

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
114   0   0
I wouldnt Automate to much....I can tell you that I used a Dialyseas for over a year and sold it. It was a nice peice but you would have to monitor that peice of equipment more than the tank...lol. They have been working on the "next generation" for some time now but without a release date. To make a long story short I changed quite a few things to a more simplistic aproach. Im okay with turning a few ball valves and taking salinity measurements by hand....:splitspin

shaun11423

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt Automate to much....I can tell you that I used a Dialyseas for over a year and sold it. It was a nice peice but you would have to monitor that peice of equipment more than the tank...lol. They have been working on the "next generation" for some time now but without a release date. To make a long story short I changed quite a few things to a more simplistic aproach. Im okay with turning a few ball valves and taking salinity measurements by hand....:splitspin

ok i hear you loud and clear, the automatic parts of the system will be used for safety measures and to monitor the system and we want to be consistent with all the parameters. thanks for your insight, i will take your warning in to account

shaun11423

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
update reefers-
the tanks will be filled with water and i will pour vinegar into the tank and let it sit for a while. This will allow the haze to soften up and i will then scrap it with razors. After that i will put the tank on its side and pour a sheet of vinegar on the panel and the scrape it again

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: