Aquadicted

Bill Goody Aquariums
Vendor
Rating - 96.4%
27   1   0
My boss is somewhat wealthy and is having me set up a 125G SPS Sea horse tank. While doing research I've realized the water flow would be too strong for sea horses or not strong enough for sps..... I was initially planning acros and multiple species of sea horses but now am not so sure... Shed some light for me please? Don't sea horses live with acros in the wild?

ari5736

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
The only issue with too much flow that I could see would be powerheads that the S.H. could get stuck in. The way around that would be a C.L., or protective foam on P.H. intakes. Another possible issue would be lighting, as sps like lots of light which could potentially make the tank warm. S.H. do much better with tanks in the 70's, so the solution to that would be LEDs (which run cooler). Apologies for all the abrvtns :)

Last edited:

Aquabacs

Azooxanthellae Addict
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are looking to get some ideas for a seahorse tank, stop by Greenwich Aquaria in CT. Jason has set up a Elos 160xl just for horses or if you don't want to take a drive check out a few images on their Facebook page.

Mike

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
how about learn the needs for them first, not to sound like a azz but seahorse are the one thing in the hobby i take a little more serious, it isnt they cant handle the flow, high flow makes it hard for them to capture food, a seahorse will kill off sps grabbing and holding it, as well as you cant put them with any lps that has feeder tenicles or stingers, they do best in 67-75 degree waters as this leaves them less succeptable to disease, if you want corals just get alot of zoa's, seafans and some leathers, anything else is not reccomended, and really dont suggest putting them in any tank less than 6 months old as they dont handle amonia, or nitrates or fluxes to the tank chemically. and lastly not to sound like a d+ck, but i know enough people with money that dont care about side effects but want instant gratification, and a seahorse tank isnt that type of system to do that with

TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
how about learn the needs for them first, not to sound like a azz but seahorse are the one thing in the hobby i take a little more serious, it isnt they cant handle the flow, high flow makes it hard for them to capture food, a seahorse will kill off sps grabbing and holding it, as well as you cant put them with any lps that has feeder tenicles or stingers, they do best in 67-75 degree waters as this leaves them less succeptable to disease, if you want corals just get alot of zoa's, seafans and some leathers, anything else is not reccomended, and really dont suggest putting them in any tank less than 6 months old as they dont handle amonia, or nitrates or fluxes to the tank chemically. and lastly not to sound like a d+ck, but i know enough people with money that dont care about side effects but want instant gratification, and a seahorse tank isnt that type of system to do that with
+1 seahorses are EXTREMELY tempermental not to mention they are pretty boring. Having a tank that big with seahorses wouldn't be too exciting. Just go reef for now start with softies and lps before you even think about sps but let the tank cycle and know what you are doing before putting anything in it.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: