gholtmeyer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I have been working on setting up my 180. I thought that since I was making some progress very slowly, but some, that I would go ahead and post some pics and start the thread. The first step, after deciding on what tank to buy, was to cut a hole in the downstairs family room. The family room was finished so that was hard to make the first cut, lol. The tank is sitting flush with the wall in the living room. The tank and stock tank, lights, etc are all behind that wall in a storage room. Next I built a stand for it out of 2x4's and 2x6's. It's not pretty, but it is sturdy. I set the stand a bit higher than some I have seen, but I am six foot one and I wanted to be able to look at the tank at eye level. After the stand was built, I added three separate electrical circuits to the room. I have two junction boxes to each circuit with 4 plugins to each. I also added a light switch that controls the pump to my salt water mixing barrels. It has one live plugin that is always hot that I plug in the power head to mix the salt. The light switch turn on the Mag pump that pumps water into the stock tank when I do water changes. I have a drain on the stock tank that I have plumbed to a drain. I just turn the valve and watch it drain down to a predetermined line that shows me 35 gallons is now gone.

I have six electrical boxes like this, all mounted close to the ceiling to prevent splashes, water running along cords, etc.

gholtmeyer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While there were lulls in the work on the tank/stand, etc. I started to make my foam rock walls. I could not find any of the black spray foam that was suggested, so I went with the regular Great Stuff foam. I know that I will have to coat it with the two part epoxy and cover that with sand. I made two side panels, and one for the back. One side panel has an opening for a Ecotech 40. The back panel does not go all the way to the sand bed because I wanted to put a spray bar behind a shorter rock wall. If I put the foam wall all the way to the sand I would have had to put the spray bar further out into the tank and I was trying to save sand space.

dubs

renegade reefer
Rating - 100%
250   0   0
Now this is reefing on a edge I like natural way of aquascaping but it still nice to see someone doing something different good luck with ur build I have a 150 that I just started my self

gholtmeyer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now this is reefing on a edge I like natural way of aquascaping but it still nice to see someone doing something different good luck with ur build I have a 150 that I just started my self

My goal is to make it look at natural as possible. I wanted to hide as much glass as possible and it was a big concession to have the powerhead in the tank. Once the foam is covered in epoxy/sand it should blend in with the rock wall and pillars that will be in the tank.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: