DrMusik

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Hello folks, a few of you may know me. I've been a member here now for two years. I've been laying below the radar. At first I perused this website for useful information then for deals on tanks. As a medical student I've had to be very judicious with my use of funds in a typically expensive hobby. I set up my first tank almost two years ago. It was a 10 gallon used tank I bought off craigslist. I bought liverock and lights off of this website and quickly had a small reef setup. It wasn't long before I went through algae breakouts and bristle worms taking over my tank (the liverock I bought was PACKED with them). I soon found myself buying a RO/DI set up and a tunze nano skimmer.

Having learned from my mistakes I set up 20 gallon long the next year. I bought this tank again used, this time from a member on this site and set up an odyssea 4 x 24 t-5 light. The tank has flourished since the get go. My only mistake I made was not cleaning out the tank well when I first bought it. I assumed that the water itself would make the residual gunk easier to clean off. Boy was I wrong and I?ve battled with razor blades and scuff pads every since but have never been able to truly get clean glass. There has been a small atipasia outbreak on one of my favorite live rocks. At first I controlled it by pasting over them with some epoxy I had left over but they?ve broken through. I plan on jumping on the next nudibranch sale or investing in some peppermint shrimp.

Now I?m on to the main event. This week with some x-mas funds I acquired a 34 gallon RSM minus the hood. The tank is in spectacular shape and with help from cardoctor on this site I got it up my stairs and cleaned up real nice. I have 40lbs of pink Fiji sand coming in from Drfostersmith and I?ve purchased a 3 watt x 24 DIY LED that I?ve made some modifications to. This tank will be my magnum opus and as such I?d like to share my endeavor with the rest of the site. I?ve read and learned a lot from this site but as I want this tank to be perfect I?d like to open myself up with any constructive criticism you all might have..

Equipment list:
34 Gallon RSM
3 x 24 watt (12 blue, 12 white) LED module
2 x Korallia nanos
Reefkeeper light basic set up
Tunze nano fans and 150 watt titanium heater for temperature control
Tunze nano skimmer

Live stock (from current tank):

2 Tank raised false percs (two years old)-Crusty and Bozo
1 dashed line blenny ? Link
1 forked tail ? blenny ? Sting
1 Cleaner shrimp ? Scampi
1 6-8 head frogspawn (two years old)
1 ~ 10 head duncan (6 months old)
2 ~ 10 head acans (6 months old)
Orange sponge (3 months old)
Some green star polyps
Pulsing xenia
Assorted zoanthids
~6 atipasia :screama:

I plan on adding a mesh top to the tank and adding an additional fish, probably a small wrasse. All the coral I have I?ve grown out from very small frags (usually the 15 dollar tank at MA) or have acquired throughout this site and I plan on going on a shopping spree again sometime this spring. I thank you all in advance for your interest and comments.

In order below: my current 20 gal, My new 34 RSM and my new lighting set up

Attachments

• 2011-10-13_22-01-23_507.jpg
    2011-10-13_22-01-23_507.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 219
  • 2011-12-28_11-37-01_336.jpg
    2011-12-28_11-37-01_336.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 213
  • 2011-12-28_11-37-31_988.jpg
    2011-12-28_11-37-31_988.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 213

DrMusik

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Thanks for the advice

They're alternating blue and whites, I didn't put the LEDs on but I'm guessing they were done in two different series. I have considered a splash guard. The LEDs are on 45 degree lenses I figured I could get the lights a foot plus off the tank though so I was hoping to avoid that and promote cooling as best as possible.

DrMusik

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
big move

Spent the day yesterday getting the tank moved over. Still needs a bit of work aquascaping. I've accrued a lot of smaller rocks from starting with a 10 gallon and a 20 gallon which is giving it kind of a pile of rocks look. I think when the softies grow out it will come together a lot more. Everything looks happy and open though after only one day. DIY LEDs are rocking it. Took care of the aiptasia with some Aiptasia-x, took 30 seconds before I moved the rocks over to another tank. I'm sure they'll grow back but I think its easiest to manage it with this stuff rather than try and find a biological solution. Can't wait to pick up some more fish

Attachments

• 2012-01-29_20-34-59_14.jpg
    2012-01-29_20-34-59_14.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 125
  • 2012-01-29_20-39-03_820.jpg
    2012-01-29_20-39-03_820.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 124

DrMusik

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
borrowed a friends camera, still playing around with it. Thing picks up every little spot on the glass lol.

Had some brown stuff appearing on the sand and rocks I assume its just diatoms as the tank is still young. Debating picking up some special blend. Tanks going great though staying cool without the fans on so far.

Next upgrade is going to be a clam or an RBTA to set up in the bottom right corner.

Attachments

• _MG_4169.jpg
    _MG_4169.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 102
  • _MG_4255.jpg
    _MG_4255.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 104

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: