SteveZ15

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
Went to coral theory and got these,also picked up this beautiful onyx from clown aquatics.When I was floating the bag my naked clown went right up to it,when the onyx was put in the tank they started swimming together instantly.Got this blasto a green mushroom a torch frag and a gsp.they started to open within a few hrs .Did a 5 gallon wc before I added everything.Did some tests ph=8.1 slightly lower than few days before which was 8.3 am=0 nitrite=0 nitrate=o wich was good was.02 few days before phos=.05 on hanna. my alk was little low at 6.0 and calc=490. Have slight gha so I got some advice to raise the height of my mh t5 which was at 10in over the tank I raised it to 14in..The light looks better at this height I think it reflects better.I was also told to shorten the m5 time.I had the bluse on 2 hrs on each end of the mh and the mhfor 7 hr which made a 11 hr cycle.I am going to do 3 hrs blue 4hrs mh 3hrs blue which will give me 10 hr cycle.I have 2-150mh and 4 39w th on a 40 breeder so if anyone else wants to chime in with some advice on the lighting cycle please do.Its finally starting to look and act like a tank with life,I get a kick out of watching the nassaurius snails pop out of the sand as soon as you feed the tank.I programed the mp 10s with a tidal cycle which the corals seem to like especially the monti cap,that piece has come to life since I did that and I am getting better color and pe by the day.My girlfriend is starting to love the tank especially the 2 clowns,she evens looks at coral pics with me and says get this get that.With the help from lots of people that help me here I am slowly starting to find my way with this tank.Its been really enjoyable learning and watching this tank come to life.I am finally getting to the point where I stop second guessing everything with the tank,I am starting to just do things which I think is right after I ask a thousand questions and just seeing what happens and adjust..

Attachments

• blasto.jpg
    blasto.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 321
  • gsp.jpg
    gsp.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 324
  • torch.jpg
    torch.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 329
  • 2 shrooms.jpg
    2 shrooms.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 326
  • Clown love.jpg
    Clown love.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 323

SteveZ15

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
Got more corals everything doing good ,blasto getting big,some zoas spreading and mushroom walking itself to a rock next to the plug which i was hoping for.Onyx went into the fuge its a female it was submiting the first few days but when it fought back it was stronger than the naked dont want either fish getting hurt,so I got a 11gal nano I gotta set up for the onyx,could not get rid of that fish it is too beautifull to let go.I cant seem to get a good color pic with the blue light.

Attachments

• blue light blasto big.jpg
    blue light blasto big.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 310
  • blue light brain lobo big.jpg
    blue light brain lobo big.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 309
  • blue light pink zoa.jpg
    blue light pink zoa.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 313
  • blue light torch 1.jpg
    blue light torch 1.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 314
  • candy cane.jpg
    candy cane.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 313
  • brain,zoa,shroom.jpg
    brain,zoa,shroom.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 312

SteveZ15

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
Tank update everything is doing well,I have added some real nice stuff in the past month.I started messing with some sps,I have some caps and birdsnest frags.I picked up a acro today has a crab hanging in there.Got a good collection of zoas and palys.Got some things growing good mushroom had a baby some zoas spread and the green cap grew a lot.This was my test for sps,it they seem to do well ill get more of the easier sps.I am learning so much from this site and having the tank,I hope to have this tank continue to grow and turn into a sick reef,

Attachments

• Acro 1.jpg
    Acro 1.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 279
  • Nem+Acans 1.jpg
    Nem+Acans 1.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 277
  • Ghetto frag rack 1.jpg
    Ghetto frag rack 1.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 278
  • Full tank 1.jpg
    Full tank 1.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 277
  • Duncan+poly+basto 2.jpg
    Duncan+poly+basto 2.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 280
  • Acans 1.jpg
    Acans 1.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 280
  • Group 1.jpg
    Group 1.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 273
  • Group 2.jpg
    Group 2.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 275
Last edited:

SteveZ15

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
Here are some of the pics the tanks is maturing pretty good except for some bumps and errors on my part,most important I learned a ton from this tank so far.The green acro on the bottom I lost from stn,I added too much rowa in a day it melted off a few frags got trimed from stn I saved 1 out of 2..The sps on the bottom got moved to different spots after a week of getting used to my lights.

Attachments

• reef 1.jpg
    reef 1.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 256
  • reef 2.jpg
    reef 2.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 256
  • reef 3.jpg
    reef 3.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 252
  • nice full june 30 2013.jpg
    nice full june 30 2013.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 256
  • nice full close.jpg
    nice full close.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 250

SteveZ15

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
Thanks its work in progress,the phos was my only issue I let it build up now its good.Watch the alk the montis will loose color if the alk swings.They bounce back pretty quick when they are happy.In a few weeks I want go back to that store and get a colony or 2.Did you get the bigger tank yet?

Rob&Gab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
243   0   0
no not yet. my girl just dropped a grand on the kitchen sick we had a minor flood in the basement. so it kinda slowed things down. she wants to get a big tank and get rid of the 34 solana i think and just keep the frag tank and the clown tank up stairs. so im not to sure whats going on at this moment but it will be amazing when it all comes together.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
It is with much regret that I Inform that Manhattan Reef community of Steve's passing at only 40 years of age due to complications from a bloodclot. I discovered this horrible news through mutual friends in the fishing community that Steve and I were part of. I also traded corals/equipment with Steve many times. He was a good person and will be missed. RIP Steve :(

Last edited:

reefjunkie167

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I work in ridgewood and unfortunately never got a chance to mert steve but from what i have read he seems like a special person may he rest in peace.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: